PDA

View Full Version : Legend vs. Nishiki Pro

Ken Robb
09-20-2005, 10:45 AM
Last night while riding up the hill toward the UCSD campus I was caught by a rider I know from monthly "Classic" bike rides in San Diego. We pedalled along making nice comments about each other's bike. I'm on my Legend and he's on an old Italian lugged steel bike unfamiliar to me. We are very close in size and he had ridden and liked my Rambouillet a couple of years ago.

He really liked the Legend and said he thought he'd like to buy one. How convenient, I said. My buddy Dave Thompson is selling one the same 60cm. size but with head-tube extension that I wish I had. My friend said he preferred the standard head tube so we kind of made a deal that he would buy mine and Iwould buy Dave's. We rode back to my garage and I invited him to ride all of my bikes. He still loves the Rambo, liked CSi, liked Romulus, could see the beauty of the All-rounder but his overall favorite was my 1981 Nishiki Pro w/ Nuovo Record gruppo. I too love the way it rides and it looks great with its Joe Bell paint job but as it has 52-42 crank I have to be sure to plan my route when I ride it to avoid big hills so it is the one I ride least.

He is a strong rider who ran away from me on our last ride on his single speed so the gearing is fine for him. After checking his garage space and budget he may be buying IT today.

I'll bet not many of us would have predicted the outcome of this test!
Gee, it's a good thing my Waterford was not home or he might have wanted that one too. Oh well sorry Dave.

weisan
09-20-2005, 11:54 AM
funny story...thanks for sharing. :)

fiamme red
09-20-2005, 12:11 PM
I'm a big fan of 1980's high-end Japanese bikes -- Miyata, Nishiki, Panasonic, etc. They're usually a bargain, and have a great ride.

Fixed
09-20-2005, 12:22 PM
Bro that is really a nice bike.one of my work bikes is an old Nishiki but not like that. cheers :beer:

vaxn8r
09-20-2005, 02:55 PM
Here's a link to some pics of a 1983 Nishiki Pro:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=3115

Ken Robb
09-20-2005, 03:52 PM
this is just like mine except for the paint--same windows in the lugs, chrome fork crown, cable routing, etc. My local old-time expert said most of these came with these Campy Nuovo Record gruppos. They were built w/Campy dropouts too.

I wonder what is written above the bottom bracket of the blue one.

Diegodonn
09-20-2005, 06:42 PM
Ahhh Ken,
where's the white garage door. I didn't think beemers were allowed as a backdrop for our forum bike pictures.
...Just keeping ya honest.
Donn

scrooge
09-20-2005, 07:07 PM
Does this mean I shouldn't have given my Nishiki Prestige (86 or so I think) to the Salvation Army last year?

Fixed
09-20-2005, 07:21 PM
Does this mean I shouldn't have given my Nishiki Prestige (86 or so I think) to the Salvation Army last year?Bro don't worry some messenger has made a fixie out of it put stickers all over it and has it chain locked to a lightpost somewhere.Cheers :beer:

vaxn8r
09-20-2005, 07:28 PM
I gave mine away last year. I thought it was a good cause. :)

Ken Robb
09-20-2005, 08:13 PM
I don't know where the Prestige fits relative to the Pro nor how one of them would ride so I can't comment on the wisdom of your parting with your bikes.