PDA

View Full Version : Gunnar Sport

charliedid
07-12-2012, 08:34 AM
Hi all,

After a month and a half of riding, I can say this bike is maybe one of the best values in the business. Rise it slow, ride it fast, it rides great. Extremely stable and predictable...

Gunnar "Sport" 56cm (English Blue Metallic)

SRAM Force Drivetrain (2012)

White hubs (32 rear - 28 front 3x DB wheelsmith) Velocity Aerohead (OC rear) Currently running Vittoria Diamonte Pro (25s)

CK headset, Thomson post, collar and stem.

Salsa Cowbell2 bars

Fizik Antares VS saddle

Tektro R539 brakes - though installing Paul, Medium Racers at some point.

Jagwire Pro, Bontrager cages, Fizik tape with Velox plugs... SKS fenders etc.

Holy smokes...I wish we stocked this bike because 90% ($4000 range) of the people we sell road bikes to would be better off on this, than a go-fast carbon race bike.

Have done one century and doing a double this weekend on it from Chicago to S. Wisconsin and back. (AIDS ride Chicago)

What a great all-round road bike.

http://gunnarbikes.com/site/bikes/sport/

Thanks for looking and sorry about the crappy photo (iPhone)

soupless
07-12-2012, 08:57 AM
Love that English Blue...is that the LFP?

charliedid
07-12-2012, 09:02 AM
Love that English Blue...is that the LFP?

Yep

Calumet Park @ 95th St.

mbakes
07-12-2012, 09:10 AM
Nice Sport! I feel the same way about my Roadie. Enjoy!

Puget Pounder
07-12-2012, 09:58 AM
I also have a sport sportin' 9 speed campy and it's a blast. It's heavier than any of my other bikes because of the rack, fenders, frame pump, and brooks saddle, but I choose this bike 90% of the time.

I agree that this is one of the best values on the market.

charliedid
07-12-2012, 10:00 AM
Nice Sport! I feel the same way about my Roadie. Enjoy!

I bet you do!

thx

charliedid
07-12-2012, 10:02 AM
I also have a sport sportin' 9 speed campy and it's a blast. It's heavier than any of my other bikes because of the rack, fenders, frame pump, and brooks saddle, but I choose this bike 90% of the time.

I agree that this is one of the best values on the market.

Yep!

19.5 lbs without fenders, though weight was not really much of a consideration on this bike. I always thought 18-20 lbs was a sweet spot for bikes like this. Adds to stability....I think.

KidWok
07-12-2012, 11:42 AM
SWEET! Gunnar's are definitely one of my favorites...the OS2 tubing is some magical stuff. You're right...this is the kind of bike that most people recreational road cyclists should be on if they wanted something they could be very happy on all day. I had the Roadie and Cross-Hairs, which bookends the functionality of the Sport. Only thing that could make that bike better is the Waterford flat crown fork...one of the smoothest riding forks you'll ever use. I'm still grieving the loss of mine after the wife drove it into a tree while on top of the car.

Tai

ahsere
07-12-2012, 11:57 AM
After a couple of years of commuting on it, my Roadie is been powdercoated as I write. Is one of my favorite frames, even though it is the old model with the 1" fork. I agree that the Waterford guys make great frames that are also a great value, they´re just not fancy enough for most steel lovers, don´t have Italian cachet or fancy details, although some of the expensive models are great eye candy. As far as I know, they´re staying afloat well enough, which is slightly surprising to me considering that the likes of IF and Serotta are struggling. The Sport seems to be a perfect "do it all but race" bike.

brownhound
07-12-2012, 01:35 PM
Any Gunnar experts care to compare and contrast the Sport and Crosshairs rides? Gunnar seems to market the Crosshairs as sort of a CX towards the all-arounder end of the spectrum, and of course the Sport is an all-arounder. But I thought someone with experience riding both could breathe more life into that description.

KidWok
07-12-2012, 02:53 PM
I had the CrossHairs before they changed the geometry like 2-3 years ago. I think the only thing they really changed with the new geometry was longer HT and shorter TT...I recall the old geo having relatively short HT's. Had the Roadie as previously mentioned and now have gotten ride of both Gunnars and went down the middle with a Co-Motion Nor'Wester, which is pretty much the same as the Sport except without a tall headtube.

I think the most notable difference will be the BB drop. The Sport has a 75mm drop, similar to my Co-Motion with 74mm drop. If you don't need the clearance for off-road and/or cornering, don't plan on running anything larger than a 32mm tire, and want a bike with a lot of headtube, the Sport is definitely the one to get. To echo what OP said...this really is what most people need most of the time. I never used my CrossHairs off-pavement...it was set up rando-style. Ironically, I will be using my Nor'Wester on some gravel roads...just took it out to Sun Valley, Idaho where I happily rode gravel sections of Warm Springs Road and Trail Creek with 32mm tires. If that's the roughest stuff you'll ever see, bikes that use long reach brakes will be as much as you'll need.

Tai

Puget Pounder
07-12-2012, 04:08 PM
If I were to get a Gunnar now, it would probably be the fastlane:bike:

Fixed
07-14-2012, 11:39 AM
Adult 's bike the bike most need for the real world
Cheers very nice :)

boomana
07-14-2012, 04:41 PM
I bought the Gunnar Sport as my first road bike, also in the English blue with panels, and love it. I've used it mostly for weekend rides, but some commutes, and have two centuries coming up in a couple months. With a brooks saddle, it's been 100% comfy from day one. I agree it's a great all-rounder, which is why I chose it. In about a year, I have another bike coming in, and will put fenders and racks on the Sport, and turn it into a light tourer/commuter.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l17/vstanbury/d1bfb7e4.jpg

Keith A
07-14-2012, 07:52 PM
charliedid -- That is an outstanding looking bike and I'd really want to put together something like that for myself. The only thing I've never been able to figure out is why Gunnar (Waterford/Paramount) have always used such step STA's??? I've got longish femurs and their geometry just isn't ideal for me :(

acckids
07-14-2012, 09:51 PM
If I had to do it again, I would have chosen the Sport. I really enjoy my Crosshairs but not a big fan of canti brakes. Switched to Mini V brakes and they do much better but not the same as my long reach/standard reach brakes.

I ride road 70% of the time and the times I ride gravel a 32mm tire is more than enough. The Sport handles a smooth 32mm tire.

acckids
07-14-2012, 09:59 PM
For those who have not seen a Gunnar up close, the quality is superb.

93legendti
07-15-2012, 11:33 AM
charliedid -- That is an outstanding looking bike and I'd really want to put together something like that for myself. The only thing I've never been able to figure out is why Gunnar (Waterford/Paramount) have always used such step STA's??? I've got longish femurs and their geometry just isn't ideal for me :(

I'm with you. I need a 73.5 or even 73 sta...pity...

charliedid
07-17-2012, 08:28 AM

Good ? Keith...for which I have no answer. Maybe just something held over from the old Schwinn Paramount days I suspect.

Thanks

C

charliedid
07-17-2012, 08:32 AM
If I had to do it again, I would have chosen the Sport. I really enjoy my Crosshairs but not a big fan of canti brakes. Switched to Mini V brakes and they do much better but not the same as my long reach/standard reach brakes.

I ride road 70% of the time and the times I ride gravel a 32mm tire is more than enough. The Sport handles a smooth 32mm tire.

Yes well we have too many choices for all rounders these days. I just love a long wheel base road bike for so many reasons.

Cheers

charliedid
07-17-2012, 08:33 AM
[QUOTE=boomana;1171646]I bought the Gunnar Sport as my first road bike, also in the English blue with panels, and love it. I've used it mostly for weekend rides, but some commutes, and have two centuries coming up in a couple months. With a brooks saddle, it's been 100% comfy from day one. I agree it's a great all-rounder, which is why I chose it. In about a year, I have another bike coming in, and will put fenders and racks on the Sport, and turn it into a light tourer/commuter.

Cool

What ya got on order?

Thanks

charliedid
07-17-2012, 08:37 AM
Adult 's bike the bike most need for the real world
Cheers very nice :)

I keep trying to grow up! :)