PDA

View Full Version : Tip of the day

Robbos
07-11-2012, 03:50 PM
Being someone who lives in a place where I have to clip in and out of my road pedal semi-frequently (having not mastered track stands at red lights:rolleyes:), I grew tired of every once and a while slipping off the pedals in a most inelegant fashion when on the wrong side of my SPD-SLs, so I stuck some "never slip" grip tape on the underbelly, and I swear by it. It even works great for short distances where you want to pedals without clipping in.

It would be cool if this became a regular thread of people posting their tips 'n tricks, wouldn't it?

wc1934
07-11-2012, 06:17 PM
Good idea - thanks for sharing.
Maybe the forum could set up a 5th category on the main page to go along with:

General Discussions
Bike Fit
Rides, Events .....
Classifieds

and add

Tips of the day

Ken Robb
07-11-2012, 06:29 PM
the two grams of tape would slow me down too much.

BdaGhisallo
07-11-2012, 06:31 PM
That 3M Grip Tape is good for a lot of things. I always cut out a section and stick it to the cleat mounting areas of carbon shoes so the cleat won't slip around no matter what. It also means that you don't need as much bolt torque to keep the cleats in place.

biker72
07-11-2012, 06:48 PM
the two grams of tape would slow me down too much.

I don't have that problem...:)
I use a double sided mt. bike SPD pedal. No slip either side.

MattTuck
07-11-2012, 07:45 PM
Yeah, i was going to be a smart ass and suggest getting Speedplays as my tip.

but I have an actual tip, which I'm sure is not that unique. I save all my old tires and use them on the trainer in the winter. That way I don't have to buy those 'roller specific' tires nor do I need to waste money using good tires.

bironi
07-11-2012, 07:54 PM
Track stand

bobswire
07-11-2012, 07:54 PM
Being someone who lives in a place where I have to clip in and out of my road pedal semi-frequently (having not mastered track stands at red lights:rolleyes:), I grew tired of every once and a while slipping off the pedals in a most inelegant fashion when on the wrong side of my SPD-SLs, so I stuck some "never slip" grip tape on the underbelly, and I swear by it. It even works great for short distances where you want to pedals without clipping in.

It would be cool if this became a regular thread of people posting their tips 'n tricks, wouldn't it?

Great idea thanks, I use the same pedals as you and live in an area where I have to clip in and out often before getting to open roads.

false_Aest
07-11-2012, 08:05 PM
if I may add a tip:

take chap stick and draw a line over/between your eyebrows and a little past them toward your temples.

it'll channel sweat away from your eyes

headbands and hats give me a headache... this doesn't.

cp43
07-11-2012, 09:06 PM
if I may add a tip:

take chap stick and draw a line over/between your eyebrows and a little past them toward your temples.

I have the same problem with hats/headbands. But, I have found that the more fluids/electrolytes I drink while riding, the less I get the headaches. In hot weather, to not get them at all, I have to drink lots of fluids, more that I feel I need based just on thirst.

So, I guess my tip is, if you're getting a headache in hot weather, drink lots of water/electrolyte drink. I like the Gatorade or CamelBak Elixr tabs.

Chris

martinrjensen
07-11-2012, 09:11 PM
I'm not boasting but I don't think I have flipped the wrong side up of my spd-sl pedals even once in the 3 years I've been using them. Sometimes I have to fiddle to clip in, but it just seems so easy to get the pedals right side up with a touch of the toe. I swear I had more issued with my mtn bike spd pedals.

4Rings6Stars
07-11-2012, 09:47 PM
I'm not boasting but I don't think I have flipped the wrong side up of my spd-sl pedals even once in the 3 years I've been using them. Sometimes I have to fiddle to clip in, but it just seems so easy to get the pedals right side up with a touch of the toe. I swear I had more issued with my mtn bike spd pedals.

I commuted on them for a while...

I just ran through my commute in my head. It's about 6 miles long and think I go through between 40 and 45 stop signs/traffic lights. That means on a good morning, I clip in and out 15 - 25 times.

In my experience...SPD is MUCH MUCH MUCH more convenient / easier to start and stop than SPD SL. I think the grip tape is an awesome idea and I will probably use it on the two bikes in my fleet I haven't changed over to SPD yet.

bobswire
07-11-2012, 10:05 PM
I commuted on them for a while...

I just ran through my commute in my head. It's about 6 miles long and think I go through between 40 and 45 stop signs/traffic lights. That means on a good morning, I clip in and out 15 - 25 times.

In my experience...SPD is MUCH MUCH MUCH more convenient / easier to start and stop than SPD SL. I think the grip tape is an awesome idea and I will probably use it on the two bikes in my fleet I haven't changed over to SPD yet.

This is a typical bike ride I do two or three times a week within city limits. If you know San Francisco then you will know I'll be clipping in and out often. I try to avoid major traffic arteries but can't avoid stop lights.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/104281752

false_Aest
07-11-2012, 10:26 PM
I have the same problem with hats/headbands. But, I have found that the more fluids/electrolytes I drink while riding, the less I get the headaches. In hot weather, to not get them at all, I have to drink lots of fluids, more that I feel I need based just on thirst.

So, I guess my tip is, if you're getting a headache in hot weather, drink lots of water/electrolyte drink. I like the Gatorade or CamelBak Elixr tabs.

Chris

nah brah. i get headaches when I wear baseball caps not on the bike. when i had long hair I couldn't put it in a ponytail for the same reason. I also get it if I leave my sunglasses perched on my forehead for too long.

4Rings6Stars
07-11-2012, 10:35 PM
nah brah. i get headaches when I wear baseball caps not on the bike. when i had long hair I couldn't put it in a ponytail for the same reason. I also get it if I leave my sunglasses perched on my forehead for too long.

I have the same issue (less:ponytail)... I like to wear hats and I found a few brands / sizes that don't bother me.

Cycling caps, unfortunately, are the worst offenders.

Thanks for the chapstick tip, I just might try that.

cp43
07-12-2012, 07:35 AM

Sounds like we have two different issues. I get the too tight hat headaches sometimes too. It doesn't help that my head is bigger than a "one size" cycling cap.

I have a long ride coming up that will probably be pretty hot, I'll give the chap stick thing a try on that.

Thanks,

Chris

martinrjensen
07-12-2012, 07:43 AM
funny, I have the exact opposite experience with spd-sl's. I now have a drawer full of spd's that I took off and replaced with spd-sl's. I have way less issues now. Oh, and I ride in the city (Seattle) a lot so I do clip in and out a frequently.I commuted on them for a while...

Earl Gray
07-12-2012, 08:43 AM
If you unclip 15-25 times on a 6 mile ride, use platforms!

You are placing yourself at risk for no reason being clipped in on a ride like that.

4Rings6Stars
07-12-2012, 09:55 AM
If you unclip 15-25 times on a 6 mile ride, use platforms!

You are placing yourself at risk for no reason being clipped in on a ride like that.

I use Shimano M324 on my dedicated commuter now. Touring pedals with platforms on one side and SPD on the other. I've tried riding in sneakers and really can't do it... Especially since there are a couple steep hills on my commute.

My 4 mile ride to school is flat and I use platforms and sandals for that ride most of the time...

93legendti
07-12-2012, 11:02 AM
Don't freeze your Camelbak overnight and expect it to thaw sufficiently so you have water to drink when you climb Mt. Hermon the next morning in 60 degree weather...:crap::crap:

Nooch
07-12-2012, 11:12 AM
if I may add a tip:

any particular chapstick? or should any generic work just fine?