PDA

View Full Version : Serotta CHT/ Hayes

jpw
09-20-2005, 07:28 AM
Serotta did previously make a CHT with a Hayes left chainstay mounting bracket option- not the now 'standard' left seatstay tab design.

Would there be a problem in getting the right kind of caliper for this Hayes mount (I'm not familiar with Hayes or this unusual mount)?

Adam
09-20-2005, 08:45 AM
As far as I know, there are plenty of NOS 22mm Hayes rear calipers still available...the good thing about Hayes is that they are easily seviced and last forever! I have a 2000 CHT and have only replaced pads and had a fresh bleed every other sesaon.

Adam

jpw
09-20-2005, 09:46 AM
Adam

I think I saw a picture of your CHT in an archived thread from December 2003. It looks very nice. What size is your frame? It looks like a 17". How tall are you?

I have an opportunity to acquire a 17" CHT disc only frame with the Hayes mount. I'm doing the necessary research to make sure I won't be making a mistake- Hayes, size et.c.

fishylittlethin
09-20-2005, 03:00 PM
jpw, I believe your best source would be Hayes. That said, I communicated with them (they are extremely helpful) last year and assured me that there would not be a problem to get it working.

As Adam mentioned, 22mm calipers seem to be plentiful. You would be looking at the G1 instead of the G2 mounts though. I am running Hayes HFX Mag+ which comes with the G2 mount so I had my LBS swap it and it works great now on my CHT.

If you are in the UK, Hope has a disc brake which would work too.

The CHT is a beautiful frame. Rides absolutely wonderful too. Btw, you might like to note that they run a little short on the top tube length.

Go for it!

jpw
09-20-2005, 03:34 PM
Hi.....

Umm, G1/ G2. What's this? This sounds like a classic 'small but **rather**important detail' scenario, one that determines whether the outcome is :) or :crap:

So a Hayes HFX Mag comes with a G1 as standard, and I would need a G2 substitute for it to work with the CHT.

EDIT: Correction- I misread your post. It comes with the G2 and I would need the G1. Headache.

I'll have to do a little more research on this before I 'commit'. ;)

By the way, what does "NOS" mean? This has me foxed. :confused:

Ginger
09-20-2005, 03:41 PM
NOS= New Old Stock

Stuff manufactured but just laying around new...

jpw
09-20-2005, 03:50 PM
I see. I had though that perhaps it meant 'now on sale'. Penny pinching again :rolleyes:

Adam
09-20-2005, 11:48 PM
JPW,

My CHT (serial# 88 these are a rare breed) is a 16" w/ a slightly longer TT than "stock". I am 5'7". I have since updated it with a SID Team fork, Mavic Crossmax XL wheels, and a SRAM X9 drivetrain and Race face Deus cranks....I actually wore out the 2000 XTR group. The Hayes are still original and kicking! Maybe I should take another photo for an update.

Adam

fishylittlethin
09-21-2005, 04:51 AM
JPW, as mentioned in my first post - send a note to Hayes. That will get you the information you need to make a decision from the horse's mouth. They are very responsive and friendly. IMHO, the Serotta ride is worth it especially if you can get the frame at a nice discount.

You can retrofit the G2 calipers with the G1 style even for the latest HFX Mag+ so that is not a problem. Hayes will give you the list of exact parts required.

Goodluck, and remember to post pics!

fishylittlethin
09-21-2005, 05:55 AM
Forgive the dusty pics. I have been on the Litespeed and Waterford much more recently. The first couple of pics are of the rear 22mm Hayes mount with the G2 caliper. The fork disc mount shows the G1 caliper. This is the Hayes HFX Mag+ model.
http://images4.fotopic.net/?iid=y9737c&outx=600&noresize=1&nostamp=1

http://images5.fotopic.net/?iid=y9737a&outx=600&noresize=1&nostamp=1

http://images1.fotopic.net/?iid=y9737b&outx=600&noresize=1&nostamp=1

http://images2.fotopic.net/?iid=y97379&outx=600&noresize=1&nostamp=1

harzkristall
11-04-2007, 12:22 PM
i managed to use a hope mini mono brake with the cht
direct mount via an adapter from a2z.
it works fine but it just fits to the frame which is a 20 inch.
i'm not sure it will fit a smaller sized frame....