PDA

View Full Version : prototype sidi ergo3s with full Boa fastening...

wallymann
07-11-2012, 11:03 AM
...i WILL have these!

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/07/11/prototype-lightweight-sidi-ergo3-road-cycling-shoes/

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/prototype-2013-sidi-ergo-3-road-cycling-shoes-600x450.jpg

MattTuck
07-11-2012, 11:09 AM
My high insteps are curious, but my wide feet will need to wait for mega sizing.

On a more serious note. Seems kind of silly to have the top strap replaced one for one with a boa system. The point of the boa was to snug everything up at once. This does not seem like an improvement in that regard.

With my custom orthotics, the traditional straps (for my feet) even on the mega sizing are barely long enough. Hopefully the boa will be long enough.

EDS
07-11-2012, 11:54 AM
My high insteps are curious, but my wide feet will need to wait for mega sizing.

On a more serious note. Seems kind of silly to have the top strap replaced one for one with a boa system. The point of the boa was to snug everything up at once. This does not seem like an improvement in that regard.

With my custom orthotics, the traditional straps (for my feet) even on the mega sizing are barely long enough. Hopefully the boa will be long enough.

Specialized S-Works shoes have two separate BOAs.

AngryScientist
07-11-2012, 11:56 AM
nice. i heart my specialized shoes with the BOA closure, so much so, that i dont see myself ever buying another cycling shoe without that feature. i bet SIDI will nail it too. thanks for pointing out.

Kupe
07-11-2012, 12:02 PM
I dig! I like the fit of the S-Works, but I have a thing for my Sidis. Best of both worlds? Sold! :banana::banana::banana:

MattTuck
07-11-2012, 12:06 PM
Specialized S-Works shoes have two separate BOAs.

Specialized helmets have a better design (IMO) for keeping sweat out of my eyes. But their internal cable routing is ill conceived, IMO. My point being that just because specialized does something, does not make it right.

Change for change's sake is not necessarily progress.

I actually liked the specialized expert level road shoe, which has 1 boa system that snugs up the whole shoe. This was much better for my high insteps than any individual straps. But I couldn't get the width I wanted.

using boa to close a single strap defeats the purpose of the boa distributing the pressure over the whole top of the foot rather than at specific 'pressure points'.

CAAD
07-11-2012, 12:19 PM
I have some sworks mountain shoes and lower level road shoe with the boa. Just got some diadora jet racers. I prefer the larger ratchet strap over the boa hands down. I like the surface area of the top ratchet strap. Keep my foot in place. Same size shoe. Even tried a smaller size with the spec shoes. Feet don't pull out of the heel cup at all with the diadoras.

wallymann
07-11-2012, 12:36 PM
the upper boa isnt really a boa, as the cables just grab the side of the instep strap. it's not like those upper cables reach across the instep, so feel-wise it will be the same as the current padded ratcheting strap. however, starting with the ergo2 they went away with the half-step buckle ratchet, so maybe this upper boa gives us back a little more granularity in tension adjustment that i lost when going from ergo1 to ergo2/3.

also, i'm not sure about the mid/lower boa setup working for my feets. i personally like the current lower velcro-strap allowing tension adjustment separate from the instep. i have problems with nerve impingement (neuroma) on my left foot, which means i tend to run the lower strap quite loose. but i still like the instep nice and snug. with this new "combined" boa setup, tension is adjusted for 1 cable which handle both instep and lower...wonder how that will feel?

TMB
07-11-2012, 01:24 PM
I have a pair of Sidi Energy 2 shoes from a few years ago.

The same sole as the Genius 5 but with a buckle closure and two of the cable closures like are used on the Ergo 2 and 3 ( before this change) shoes.

I think thye are just about the best shoes I've ever had be cause of the way you "dial in" ( get it?) the fit.

The Lake 330's I have are really good as well, a single BOA but it is the full shoe.

CPP
07-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Peter Sargan has been wearing something like this in the Tour

soulspinner
07-11-2012, 02:05 PM
Im not worthy:bike:

4Rings6Stars
07-11-2012, 02:13 PM
I'm leery of the Boa system since I had it on some snowboard boots and some North Face hiking boots and busted one on each after only one season...

I have Sidi Dragon 2's and just dialed in the middle boa / cable adjuster once and haven't touched it since. I like it in that application but don't know if I would trust a whole shoe's worth.

Peter Sargan has been wearing something like this in the Tour

Slight thread drift...but I think the Liquigas-Cannondale frames are the best looking in the tour this year....

Jason E
07-11-2012, 05:21 PM
...i WILL have these!

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/07/11/prototype-lightweight-sidi-ergo3-road-cycling-shoes/

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/prototype-2013-sidi-ergo-3-road-cycling-shoes-600x450.jpg

They could do the top BOA better, but then they'd lose that ideal location for advertising. They are NOT gonna give up that real estate.

Charles M
07-12-2012, 10:52 AM
That ain't it...

The position is right. It's been in 4 different places.

The top BOA simply allows for the strap portion a larger range of movement to settle into a broader range of positions. The placement now does that better than past efforts including one that was originally placed where the "advertisement" is now.

Same very good shoe with a little more upper fit flexibility without loosing support.

You'll like em if you like past ergos

CPP
07-12-2012, 01:18 PM
That ain't it...

The position is right. It's been in 4 different places.

The top BOA simply allows for the strap portion a larger range of movement to settle into a broader range of positions. The placement now does that better than past efforts including one that was originally placed where the "advertisement" is now.

Same very good shoe with a little more upper fit flexibility without loosing support.

You'll like em if you like past ergos

When can we like them?

CPP
07-14-2012, 02:38 PM
From Velonews:
Special Sidis for Peter Sagan

Burgeoning superstar Peter Sagan (Liquigas-Cannondale) is but 22 years old but the Slovakian talent has already bagged three stage victories in his first Tour de France – plus a pair of special Ergo 3 shoes from Sidi to boot.

Sidi America brand manager Sara Ecclesine wouldn't reveal any specific details on Sagan's new footwear – "The guys are always working on something," she said – but they're clearly an evolution of Sidi's long standing Tecno 2 reel-and-cable system. While current Sidi shoes use the system only for the middle closure of select top-end models, Sagan's shoes features it throughout. One reel secures the main strap while a second unit crisscrosses the midsection and forefoot.

It's difficult to say if the switch yields any reduction in weight (something Sidi doesn't usually target) but we expect the slimmer cables to provide a slightly more compliant fit and improved breathability, not to mention a sleeker appearance without any excess strap hanging below the buckle.

There's no word yet on whether Sagan's shoes will be put into production.