PDA

View Full Version : Custom 7-spd freewheel - is it possible?

dd74
07-10-2012, 07:40 PM
I'd like to build a custom 7-spd freewheel for my friction shift Colnago. Something in the range of 11-28, so that I can ride uphill with the 42-tooth chain ring. The caveat is I want the freewheel to be very light; at least lighter than the IRD 12-28 7-spd I have now. What are my options, if any?

Thx.

oliver1850
07-10-2012, 08:06 PM
Campy and others (Everest?) made some aluminum cogged freewheels, but I don't think there was ever an 11 cog.

Why not build a wheel with a 7 speed freehub? You could use the American Classic aluminum cogs. Probaby not an aluminum 11 cog, but the weight savings between steel and AL would be minimal on a part that small.

R2D2
07-10-2012, 08:19 PM
You're in collector arena now. And the price goes up accordingly.
As previous poster said there were freewheel kits in light materials. And they require some experience. Old Potato may have some good heritage information. Or the guys that hang out at Classic Rendezvous.

I think you'd be a lot better off spacing to 130mm and buying a economical Campagnolo 10 speed group.

bart998
07-10-2012, 08:34 PM
I recall high end freewheel kits from Campy, Everest, and Mavic/Maillard.... A good campy or everest freewheel alone goes for $200+ on ebay... I can imagine that an intact kit would be quite a bit more.

Ralph
07-11-2012, 05:40 AM
I believe if I were going to build up a friction shifter, would go 130 MM in rear and 8 speed cassette. 8 speed has same space between cogs as 7 speed which I think works better than 9 or 10 for friction shifting. Would also use one of those reverse action Shimano rear XTR derailleurs.....have used that in the past with fricton shifters. Liked that better than regular RD.

Many years ago, I had a "board" of Sun Tour free wheel cogs, and could make up any ratio starting with 13 or 14, as I recall. That was long ago.

Good luck with your search and decision.

palincss
07-11-2012, 05:49 AM
I'd like to build a custom 7-spd freewheel for my friction shift Colnago. Something in the range of 11-28, so that I can ride uphill with the 42-tooth chain ring. The caveat is I want the freewheel to be very light; at least lighter than the IRD 12-28 7-spd I have now. What are my options, if any?

There are easier ways and places to lose weight.

palincss
07-11-2012, 05:54 AM
I believe if I were going to build up a friction shifter, would go 130 MM in rear and 8 speed cassette. 8 speed has same space between cogs as 7 speed which I think works better than 9 or 10 for friction shifting.

According to Sheldon's site, that is incorrect.
http://sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-spacing.html

oldpotatoe
07-11-2012, 07:46 AM

Thx.

No. No 11t freewheels, no ti or aluminum freewheels still being made. Some older Regina, Everest, Campagnolo.

Space the rear to 130mm if not already there. Get a cogset type rear wheel and build a 11-28 cogset, all ti(like older Campagnolo) if you want.

You'll save...geee maybe 50 grams or so..about the weight of a powerbar .

Mark McM
07-11-2012, 10:05 AM

Well, only half incorrect. Campagnolo & Sachs 8spd had the same sprocket spacing as 7spd (5.0mm), whereas Shimano & Suntour 8spd had narrower spacing (4.8mm) than 7spd.

torquer
07-11-2012, 03:07 PM
no ti or aluminum freewheels still being made.
For good reason; those things were race day only (and one day only, at that!) Al freewheels, anyway, back in the 80's, but early Ti products were generally noodlely, so I doubt they were any better.
Sounds like individual modern Ti cassette cogs, built using whatever-size spacers you desire to get to the number of gears you want, would be the way to go.

Ralph
07-11-2012, 04:43 PM

Sorry....I was thinking Campy 8 speed. Which is 5 MM center to center, same as most 7 speeds.

cnighbor1
07-11-2012, 09:54 PM
I would forget changing cogs in rear 1st i would go to a compact 34T 50T campy crankset that will get gearing so you can climb i did it on my 42T 52T Battaglin Italian racing bike than if needed go to a 28t max. rear cog best to buy a cassette type rear wheel
Charles

Ti Designs
07-11-2012, 10:56 PM
The caveat is I want the freewheel to be very light

Back in the days of the 7-speed freewheel, a light bike was anything under 20 pounds.

sandyrs
07-11-2012, 11:23 PM
back in the days of the 7-speed freewheel, a light bike was anything under 20 pounds.

+1

Bob Loblaw
07-12-2012, 06:38 AM
It's very hard to even get a custom cassette these days. As others have said, unless you want to throw a lot of money at this, your options are pretty limited.

If you go with a freehub, you could get 8-10 cogs back there, as light as you want, and your friction shifter will still work fine. I assume your frame is steel. If so you can either have it cold set or just spread it a little to get the wheel in.

BL

Thx.