PDA

View Full Version : DA 7800 with XT m760

d_man16
07-10-2012, 07:38 AM
I just got my hands on a mess of cogs that turned out to be a DA 10 speed cassette which we thought was broken 8speed mess (we miss counted, it had 9 rings???)-

After a little work with the tech doc's and a caliper.....I stuck a 11t XT cog on the end and it seems to work w/o the 1mm spacer.

I haven't tried it out yet on the rig......I'm guessing; that I'll have a goofy shift at the 11t?

My question is: Is there a difference between the xt 9 speed 11t cog and the 11t 10 speed cog? Should I just go ahead and purchase a 7800 11t cog?

I did pull out the calipers and the spacing is "pretty" close...

~D

oliver1850
07-10-2012, 10:45 AM
The built in space on a 9 speed cog is about .007" thicker than a 10 speed one. I'd guess it will work, the side slop in the upper pulley will allow that much extra gap. When adjusted right for the rest of the cassette, it will probably be slow to shift into the 11.

This is assuming all the rest of the cassette is in fact 10 speed. It seems unlikely to me that the use of one 9 speed spacer would allow the locknut to tighten an otherwise 10 speed cassette down on a 9 speed hub. Any chance you have one of the dedicated 10 speed freehub bodies?

d_man16
07-11-2012, 07:03 AM
That's funny: I got five thousandths off on my calipers...Pretty close, considering the irregular shape of the cogs.

I don't have a one of those DA hubs (I'm guessing the ones with the high splines ??) I just tossed it on a old XTR hub

The cogs are stamped BL, BK, DL, DK, DL, CA, BL

I guess I could pick up the 11t cog and see if it needs the spacer to fit on the fee hub?

Mark, I've got an email for you.

~D