PDA

View Full Version : Ride Report: L'etape 2012 (partially)

cycle_chic
07-10-2012, 04:58 AM
Several months ago my boyfriend signed me up for the Etape without telling me. That's a lot of climbing for this Florida girl.

Then, in February, I got in a serious bike accident. As I started to recover, I got in another stupid, self-imposed bike accident in May. My fitness had declined exponentially. When Ged told me he signed us up for the Etape, I was excited, then I looked at the route and my excitement faded.

The Etape was on Sunday. I woke up at 5:30 a.m. to dark skies and a light rain. I knew I wouldn't be able to finish because I wasn't in form. I told Ged I wasn't doing it and wished him good luck. He insisted I at least try, so I put on my big-girl pants and kitted up.

Once we rode the 10k from our campsite to the start, we waited 20 minutes before it was our corral's turn to go. I loved the first 18km. I was checking out people's bikes and chatting to everyone. It was lovely. I even saw a nice Serotta. I did have one water bottle fall out when I crossed over some train tracks, but I couldn't turn around as there was a sea of cyclists all around me.

Once the Madeleine climb started, I stopped talking. I've never been a climber and Sunday was no exception. The climb is about 24-25km long, and I only stopped once to shove some food in my mouth. I hated the 11% parts, but then again, who doesn't. For me, I felt like I was doing really well.

Once I reached the top, I topped up my one bidon and put on my wind jacket. The sun had finally come out and the once wet roads were now dry.

The descent was fast. I haven't looked at my stats yet, but I'm sure it was the fastest I've ever gone on a bike.

Once I got to the bottom (the 65km mark), I grabbed some more food at a rest stop and headed toward the base of the Glandon. I knew I was pretty close to the cut-off time (about one hour in front of it), but I thought I'd just keep going and make the most of the day.

As I rode away from the rest stop, I heard a loud noise coming from my bike. It sounded like rocks in a dryer. I got off the bike and turned the crank slowly and heard the noise again. I had a sinking feeling that my bottom bracket was toast (my old Bianchi has taken some abuse as a former rental bike).

I headed back to the rest station and a French mechanic confirmed my suspicion and said he didn't have the tool to open it up and try to compress the bearings. By this point, the sweep car was making its way toward me.

The mechanic motioned for me to just go before I get disqualified, so I hopped on and rode away. The noise seemed louder.

I think sometimes I tend to be overly cautious about my bike, especially if there's a noise coming from it. Maybe I should learn to just suck it up and let go of my paranoia, but I didn't feel that way on Sunday. I felt that I was making the right decision to not attempt any more climbs. Plus, I was going to be cut off soon.

I decided to just ride the flat 9km to the town below the last climb (St. Jean de Maurienne), where we had left the car. I put my bike in the car, changed clothes and headed to the start of the last climb. I stuck around for a couple of hours and finally saw Ged. He looked so happy to see me but I didn't want him to lose momentum, so I gave him a push and sent him on his way. He managed to finish in 10.5 hours, not too much in front of the cut-off time himself.

I almost didn't want to post this ride report because I thought it might make me look like a failure or a $hitty rider, but I know that some people here would enjoy the report and pictures.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a pain au chocolate to attend to.

soulspinner
07-10-2012, 05:05 AM
Failures give up way before your bike did. Nice pics, keep the rubber down.:hello:

Bruce K
07-10-2012, 05:07 AM
Far from a failure. You attempted something most of us can only dream about... and almost finished it. Mechanicals are mechanicals and we don't control them.

It sounds like you would have done just fine if not for the BB issue.

Nice pictures.

The pastry looks tatsy too.

Thanks for sharing.

BK

oldman
07-10-2012, 05:21 AM
far from a failure. You attempted something most of us can only dream about... And almost finished it. Mechanicals are mechanicals and we don't control them.

It sounds like you would have done just fine if not for the bb issue.

Nice pictures.

The pastry looks tatsy too.

Thanks for sharing.

Bk

+1

wow!

maxdog
07-10-2012, 05:52 AM
Very cool. Your one lucky lady, problems or not. Enjoy your stay abroad for all of us envious stateside.

AngryScientist
07-10-2012, 06:02 AM
hey, nice work! take it as motivation to return again and ride the route, beautiful pictures.

damn those french mechanics.

douglas
07-10-2012, 06:03 AM
Failure? I think you're one tough woman. What a wonderful adventure. You made the most of a difficult situation (injuries during training and mechanical issues). You couldn't have done more. Enjoy your trip and thanks for the report.

Johnnyg
07-10-2012, 06:40 AM
Several months ago my boyfriend signed me up for the Etape without telling me. That's a lot of climbing for this Florida girl.

Then, in February, I got in a serious bike accident. As I started to recover, I got in another stupid, self-imposed bike accident in May. My fitness had declined exponentially. When Ged told me he signed us up for the Etape, I was excited, then I looked at the route and my excitement faded.

The Etape was on Sunday. I woke up at 5:30 a.m. to dark skies and a light rain. I knew I wouldn't be able to finish because I wasn't in form. I told Ged I wasn't doing it and wished him good luck. He insisted I at least try, so I put on my big-girl pants and kitted up.

Once we rode the 10k from our campsite to the start, we waited 20 minutes before it was our corral's turn to go. I loved the first 18km. I was checking out people's bikes and chatting to everyone. It was lovely. I even saw a nice Serotta. I did have one water bottle fall out when I crossed over some train tracks, but I couldn't turn around as there was a sea of cyclists all around me.

Once the Madeleine climb started, I stopped talking. I've never been a climber and Sunday was no exception. The climb is about 24-25km long, and I only stopped once to shove some food in my mouth. I hated the 11% parts, but then again, who doesn't. For me, I felt like I was doing really well.

Once I reached the top, I topped up my one bidon and put on my wind jacket. The sun had finally come out and the once wet roads were now dry.

The descent was fast. I haven't looked at my stats yet, but I'm sure it was the fastest I've ever gone on a bike.

Once I got to the bottom (the 65km mark), I grabbed some more food at a rest stop and headed toward the base of the Glandon. I knew I was pretty close to the cut-off time (about one hour in front of it), but I thought I'd just keep going and make the most of the day.

As I rode away from the rest stop, I heard a loud noise coming from my bike. It sounded like rocks in a dryer. I got off the bike and turned the crank slowly and heard the noise again. I had a sinking feeling that my bottom bracket was toast (my old Bianchi has taken some abuse as a former rental bike).

I headed back to the rest station and a French mechanic confirmed my suspicion and said he didn't have the tool to open it up and try to compress the bearings. By this point, the sweep car was making its way toward me.

The mechanic motioned for me to just go before I get disqualified, so I hopped on and rode away. The noise seemed louder.

I think sometimes I tend to be overly cautious about my bike, especially if there's a noise coming from it. Maybe I should learn to just suck it up and let go of my paranoia, but I didn't feel that way on Sunday. I felt that I was making the right decision to not attempt any more climbs. Plus, I was going to be cut off soon.

I decided to just ride the flat 9km to the town below the last climb (St. Jean de Maurienne), where we had left the car. I put my bike in the car, changed clothes and headed to the start of the last climb. I stuck around for a couple of hours and finally saw Ged. He looked so happy to see me but I didn't want him to lose momentum, so I gave him a push and sent him on his way. He managed to finish in 10.5 hours, not too much in front of the cut-off time himself.

I almost didn't want to post this ride report because I thought it might make me look like a failure or a $hitty rider, but I know that some people here would enjoy the report and pictures.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a pain au chocolate to attend to.

Nice work and congratulations for giving it a try. I like your Florida shirt. I live on Sanibel in the winter. Your boy friend is one luck guy. Ride safely. JohnnyG

gone
07-10-2012, 07:07 AM
but I know that some people here would enjoy the report and pictures.

You were right about that! Nice report, great pictures and terrific effort! Thanks for posting it.

thwart
07-10-2012, 08:28 AM
Good stuff (including the pain du chocolate!). Thanks for sharing.

You were brave to give it a go.

RonW87
07-10-2012, 08:33 AM
I rode it too. We were very lucky with the weather, as the clouds parted on the sun came out as we ascended up the Madeleine. That was a long slog but came early in the ride and felt not too bad. The Glandon, however, is a whole 'nother story. That sucker is a beast. Almost the same height as the Madeleine in 7 fewer kms. The average gradients are misleading. The Mollard was and easy 5 or 6 km but the last climb up to La Toussuire was also tough. The first 5k or so out of town are relentless at 8% or so. Then, when you see the town and think you are almost done, it just keeps climbing and climbing. In the tour stage tomorrow, I expect attacks by the climbers being launched on the last half of the Glandon and right from the bottom of the climb to La Toussuire.

My almost 9hr time certainly gave me a new appreciation for what the pros do. They will probably be sub 5hrs.

To the OP, congrats for taking on the challenge. Now you'll know how to get ready for next year!

R.

oliver1850
07-10-2012, 10:30 AM
Sounds like you made the right decision based on the circumstances. Even if you're disappointed now, in time the experience as a whole will be a good memory. I'm glad to hear you're back on the bike, to be riding in France is a big bonus.

ultraman6970
07-10-2012, 12:39 PM
Darn... i envy those rides...

Joel
07-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Thanks for sharing! Doing these climbs in September and glad to see a fellow Floridian riding them. Gives me some hope that all the flat land training will be of some use!

poff
07-10-2012, 06:10 PM
Love Madeleine, Glandon, Mollard (the other side is waay steeper). Rode them last year. Will be back next year hopefully. But while you are in Italy you should explore Lombardy - Gavia (8%), Mortirollo (11%), Stelvio are much tougher than French climbs....

wooly
07-10-2012, 06:21 PM
I enjoyed your post. Just to confirm, you're a stud (studdette?). Considering your training ramp and injuries leading to the ride, many people would have bailed.

Most importantly, your post reminded me that I better get my ass in gear for Levi's Gran Fondo.

eippo1
07-10-2012, 09:22 PM
Didn't you mess up your shoulder a bunch not too long ago? I'd feel pretty proud of doing as much as you did if I were you. I really need to get across the pond for some rides.

Louis
07-10-2012, 11:54 PM
Neat story.

I bet you're glad you rode as much of it as you did. :hello:

tiretrax
07-11-2012, 02:18 PM
+1000 on BK's comments. Just getting over the Madelaine is engough for most cyclists bucket list. Bon Chance next year!

dumbod
07-15-2012, 04:14 PM
I rode too and, like the OP, I didn't finish. The ride was a real bear.

If it makes you feel any better, they had to extend the elimination time by an hour and, even with that, more than half the riders didn't finish. Several experienced Etape riders said it was the hardest Etape that they had ever done.

tv_vt
07-15-2012, 04:41 PM
Thank you so much for sharing your story! You are way more awesome than you think you are!

Sounds like you had fun and had a great experience, no matter how far you ended up riding.

deanster
07-16-2012, 02:12 AM
The fact you didn't finish the ride due to mechanical problems is no failure. I hope you took the opportunity to do some other rides in the area on your own. I signed up for the Maratona dles Dolomites and was only able to complete the short course as I got a case of food poisioning on the day of the ride.
I did however use the week preceeding the official ride to get in some great miles in the Dolomites. Live in Boulder Colorado and ride the Mts all the time but, the Mts in the Alps are shorter and seriously steep . Loved the food and people I met in the area and look forward to more rides in the Alps.
Maybe it was because I was by my self and didn't have to justify not completing the longer course made it all right.
Hope you are truly glad you went and took the experience for what it really was. Like me you probably have many friends who are green with envy. If your boyfriend gives you too much grief about not completing the ride then get a new BF. May the wind always be at your back...