PDA

View Full Version : If you are at TDF

sevencyclist
07-09-2012, 07:47 PM
If you are at TDF as a spectator, what would you be doing?

There are some that ran with the riders, there are some drinking on the hillls soaking it all in. There are some taking pictures, and some standing on straw bales doing some dance moves to get on TV and not really seeing the racers.

What would you do if you are spending precious vacation time getting there to see the riders whiz by in 10 seconds?

R2D2
07-09-2012, 07:52 PM
Have a nice picnic with a good view and good bottle of wine.

gone
07-09-2012, 07:59 PM
What would you do if you are spending precious vacation time getting there to see the riders whiz by in 10 seconds?

It's my life's goal to go to the tour, stand for hours on a mountain climb waiting for the riders to come by and, just when the leaders are approaching my position turn around and wave at the TV helicopter in the hope that they'll be filming me. Ideally wearing a bra and panties or something equally moronic. :banana:

I mean seriously, I can't believe the number of people that are totally ignoring the riders that supposedly came to see so they can wave at the TV motorcycle, helicopter, etc.

Tim
07-09-2012, 08:19 PM
Only assholes run with the riders. It's dangerous, the riders need all the space on the road, especially on the climbs, and if you really need your 15 minutes of fame, there are other ways to get it.
Stand by the side, enjoy the whole experience, take photos, have a picnic, run after the stuff they throw during the passing of the caravan- whatever you want- but do not run alongside the riders.

BumbleBeeDave
07-09-2012, 08:24 PM
. . . I'll let you know. :)

BBD

maxdog
07-09-2012, 08:28 PM
. . . I'll let you know. :)

BBD

Are you there yet? Have a great trip Dave, you lucky devil. Enjoy a croissant and cafe au lait for me.

BumbleBeeDave
07-09-2012, 09:07 PM
Look for me on the Tourmalet and at Peyregudes running frantically after Evans while wearing my zebra-striped Borat Man-kini! :eek: :eek: :eek:

BBD

sonicCows
07-10-2012, 12:34 AM

Fixed
07-10-2012, 01:19 AM
Yell bravo
Cheers :bike:

fishylittlethin
07-10-2012, 08:32 AM
For most of the morning and afternoon, have lotsa beer and sausages, make new friends, collect schwag, tease and holler at the sponsor ladies as they drive past....

and yes, cheer the riders on as they ride past which lasted barely 10 min. We had a blast. :banana:

William
07-10-2012, 08:41 AM
Watch? Naw, I would ride my bike.

I would put on my BMC kit and when the peloton is about 2K from the finish at Pau, I would slip onto the course at about the 1K mark and ride in. Of course I would have to soft-pedal just enough to let them see me cross the line ahead of them with my arms in the air.:banana:

After I get out of the slammer, then I would go watch the the race from the sidelines.;)

William

flydhest
07-10-2012, 08:45 AM
I have loved being at the side of the road when the Tour has gone by. The best, by far, was in the little town of Monein, near Pau, where we had coffee (and other drinks) at a cafe in town, went out, watched the caravan go by, cheered on the riders, then walked back to the friends of the family's house I was staying at and watched the finish of the stage.

MadRocketSci
07-10-2012, 12:10 PM
make friends with some dutch, germans, or aussies with a camper...try to maintain enough awareness to notice the tour going by....then cancel that thought...