PDA

View Full Version : Raise those bars !!!

dancinkozmo
07-09-2012, 05:13 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2012/07/09/female-cyclists-sexual-health.html

....could be a reason certain people are all over these forums talking about slammed stems and mocking faster backwards bikes ......the people with the high bars dont have time to waste on the internet...theyre Too busy "makin bacon"!!!

FGC
07-09-2012, 05:28 PM
16 km a week? Competitive? My wife rides more than that to work and back in a day and is far from competitive.

Most people I know that are actually competitive get real bike fits so they don't have these issues. Lots of people I know from racing have babies when they want them, and sometimes when they don't. It's anecdotal, I know.

This story just gets grants and sells papers. Did they look at all of the fit parameters? Sure, stick anyone on a 2x4 and their junk will break.

false_Aest
07-09-2012, 05:32 PM
brah,

This is one of the biggest things that dudes don't think about when they size a girl on a bike.

low bars + pressure + rubbing = no play time.
Go ahead, ask me how I know.

And since so many fitters are men "who ride a lot" the women getting fit don't feel comfortable talking about it because 1) dude 2) must know more than me.
____

When women come in and talk to my GF about buying new bibs/shorts she asks them about this problem...1/2 of the time she ends up putting em up on a trainer and making adjustments to their bike.

How wonderful would it be if every bike store had someone that helped address these issues for both men and women?

ultraman6970
07-09-2012, 07:44 PM
Back in the day when triathlon was starting in my country and pretty much everywhere else, this chick one day told us straight forward that she was having like 3 or 4 orgasms while in the bike part of the race. She had the bad custom of pull the bike to the front, or move the body to the front (sure u guys have the idea) while pedaling.

Took me like 6 months of fix gear to get her pedaling corrected. She complained a lot but after 6 months the pedaling technique was ok and that monkey type of balancing the body ended. Once we got that fixed then we could fit her decently in the bike.

R2D2
07-09-2012, 07:57 PM
My favorite quote:
“Chronic insult to the genital nerves from increased saddle pressures could potentially result in sexual dysfunction.”

Nothing like cold hard science.

AngryScientist
07-09-2012, 08:33 PM
which reduced ability to detect vibration

this study must have been interesting to conduct, to say the least.

Fixed
07-09-2012, 09:45 PM
Past research has also shown that cycling is associated with genital nerve issues and erectile dysfunction in male riders.

Hmm
Cheers

Fivethumbs
07-09-2012, 10:10 PM
Why don't they make a women's seat shaped like Brad Pitt's face?

PoppaWheelie
07-09-2012, 10:13 PM
Why don't they make a women's seat shaped like Brad Pitt's face?

Pah..! First thing I've laughed at all day. Thanks.

Black Dog
07-09-2012, 10:24 PM
1. Here (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1743-6109.2012.02680.x/abstract) is the Abstract for the article:

2. In the photo with the article why is the only rider not on a Canadian bike (Cervelo) the only Canadian rider. :confused:

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/topstories/2012/07/09/li-bike-620-024652171.jpg

thinpin
07-09-2012, 10:26 PM
this study must have been interesting to conduct, to say the least.

My thoughts too, but was not game to post it...

oliver1850
07-09-2012, 10:26 PM
Back in the day when triathlon was starting in my country and pretty much everywhere else, this chick one day told us straight forward that she was having like 3 or 4 orgasms while in the bike part of the race. She had the bad custom of pull the bike to the front, or move the body to the front (sure u guys have the idea) while pedaling.

Took me like 6 months of fix gear to get her pedaling corrected. She complained a lot but after 6 months the pedaling technique was ok and that monkey type of balancing the body ended. Once we got that fixed then we could fit her decently in the bike.

And she wanted more?

ultraman6970
07-10-2012, 12:26 AM
Hahaha i knew somebody was going to ask that :).. .well she was older than me and I was like 19 y/o so I did not want to ask more details, was enough with telling us what was going on so pretty much probably she was tired of the problem. She was pretty happy tho :D Maybe that answers your question :D

EricEstlund
07-10-2012, 12:55 AM
"could potentially result"

DogpawSlim
07-10-2012, 01:14 AM

If that was me, I would not want my pedaling corrected, I would be looking for longer rides.