PDA

View Full Version : Wiggo's Interview

azrider
07-08-2012, 02:57 PM
Anybody have or seen video of the interview from Wiggins after todays stage. I'm seeing tons of comments on Twitter but after several searches can't find video:

PORRENTRUY, Switzerland (VN) — Don’t ask Bradley Wiggins about cynicism in cycling, ever.

The Briton, known for his explosive talent — and equally explosive command of profanities — let reporters here have it when asked what he thought of those who believed that to win the Tour de France riders must be doped “to the gills.”

“Honestly they’re just ****ing wankers. I can’t be doing with people like that,” Wiggins said. “It justifies their own bone idleness… because they can’t ever imagine applying themselves to anything in their lives.

“And it’s easy for them to sit under a pseudonym on Twitter and write that kind of **** rather than get off their arses and apply themselves and work hard at something and achieve something.”

He then stood up, said "cut" and received a round of applause from the media room.

Wiggins, who holds a 10-second lead over defending champion Cadel Evans after nine days of the three-week race, also had a dig at tennis with millions more watching compatriot Andy Murray in the Wimbledon men's final than the Tour.

"Tennis is nothing. It only lasts one and a half hours," he barked.

He paused, tossed the microphone on the table and left.

MattTuck
07-08-2012, 03:13 PM
That sounds pretty entertaining.

Except for the tennis comment. Murray and Wiggins deserve each other's respect, and britain's admiration.

rpm
07-08-2012, 03:15 PM
I love it. I'm warming to Wiggo. He's showing personality instead of the usual bland sports cliches. His team is beginning to look like the Discovery teams of old, and he's beginning to show some Armstrong prickliness. He's (literally!) worked his butt off to get where he is, and he has no use for those who don't understand that.

rice rocket
07-08-2012, 03:35 PM
Keep it klassy.

CunegoFan
07-08-2012, 04:08 PM
I think it is funny that someone in a sport where doping is rampant, where there may not have been a clean TdF winner in two decades, a rider goes full retard when asked about the fans having suspicions, especially after the performance of UK Postal the day before.

tch
07-08-2012, 04:51 PM
...re-think his tennis comment. Two Olympics ago, the athletes were asked what the most difficult competition was in the games. The answer: tennis.

Tennis players need all athletic elements all at once all the time.
Endurance: a match might go 3+ hours pretty easily.
Explosiveness: many points are decided by anaerobic and explosive bursts of speed and/or footwork.
Skill: you have to have impeccable hand-eye coordination, as well as a huge amount of technical skill for every play in the competition.

Bicycle racing definitely has the endurance and anaerobic/strength stuff. But there is nothing really that compares to the steady, unrelenting eye/hand coordination and timing that high-level tennis demands in addition.

laupsi
07-08-2012, 05:08 PM
Having gotten to read about, listen to and watch Wiggins more in the tour this year and the pre tour races I am liking him more and more. My opinion; BW is a class act!

1happygirl
07-08-2012, 05:13 PM
true abt the tennis and skill level
Wiggo needs to show some class, objectivity and restraint.
I'm all for passion, but no need profanities etc

Lovetoclimb
07-08-2012, 05:16 PM
Bicycle racing definitely has the endurance and anaerobic/strength stuff. But there is nothing really that compares to the steady, unrelenting eye/hand coordination and timing that high-level tennis demands in addition.

Having done a fair share of race (Cat 3) descending in the mountains, crit racing, and anything in between, I would completely disagree with this comment. Hell even aggressive training requires a large degree of quick thinking, the perfect application of weight distribution, and brake application. I have overcooked many a turn, taken my share of spills, and learned from all of it. Sagan is an excellent example of someone with impeccable coordination, what we would call "bike handling skills".

World class cyclists are some of the most near complete athletes I can think of. The only others that impress me as much or more are rowers. Coming from that background into cycling, I have an appreciation for something actually harder than cycling, albeit shorter.

rwsaunders
07-08-2012, 05:33 PM
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/wiggins-delivers-caustic-assessment-of-his-critics-34518

Don't forget this side of Wiggins too...he's a tough hombre.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jan/26/bradley-wiggins-london-2012-tour-defrance

krhea
07-08-2012, 06:23 PM
World class cyclists are some of the most near complete athletes I can think of. The only others that impress me as much or more are rowers. Coming from that background into cycling, I have an appreciation for something actually harder than cycling, albeit shorter.

I'll "raise you one" with elite/Olympic level nordic skiers. I'll put one of those athletes up against a rower or cyclist any day.

weaponsgrade
07-08-2012, 08:24 PM
I'm liking wigo. So much more exciting when someone goes off script and says what they're really thinking.

zmudshark
07-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Do not play the Wiggo drinking game...a drink every time he swears in an interview. Your day will be shot.

bluesea
07-08-2012, 08:56 PM
I raise you one Ben Ainslie (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/dec/10/ben-ainslie-disqualified-world-championship). Three golds medals and counting.

charliedid
07-08-2012, 08:59 PM
I love that guy

dustyrider
07-08-2012, 09:09 PM
I've always been a fan of passion, some people express it differently, the ones that "wear their feelings on their sleeve" are usually the ones I root for, cause I'm the same way.

Since we're comparing sports and their individual challenges, I went for a swim the other day and tried to do a set of laps along side a swimmer, wholly "SH@#E!" in my best Wiggins accent. I can out ride the swimmer any day, but put me in the water and my heart rate is going crazy, I can't figure out my breathing, and muscle groups I didn't even know I had are still a little sore.

MattTuck
07-08-2012, 09:15 PM
We would have to decide what metrics we should use to define athletes.

If we believe the old Dave vs. Dan campaign, the decathalon might be a good indicator of how 'complete' an athlete is.

I don't think cyclists would do very well in many of those events.... A tennis player with more upper body strength would do better, I'd think. Cyclists are very specialized athletes, similar to how a greyhound is a specialized dog.

100 metres
Long jump
Shot put
High jump
400 metres
110 metres hurdles
Discus throw
Pole vault
Javelin throw
1500 metres

http://www.atwistedspoke.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/post-8954-079485500-1277297243.jpg

Sorry for the thread drift.

Lovetoclimb
07-08-2012, 09:56 PM
When I said complete I meant from the perspective of the rigors of the sport. Cyclists and rowers have one of the longest seasons I know of (never studied Nordic skiing to be fair). Cyclists must be strong in all the right places, lose all unnecessary mass, have amazing endurance, be mentally fit and quick to react, and deal with the inherent dangers of their sport (number of riders crashed out of this year's TdF already . . . ?). Rowers have a lot less from the danger perspective, but combining fluidity of motion with sheer power has yet to manifest itself in a more beautiful way that rowing as far as I have seen.

I am sure Tennis is difficult, but I am with Wiggins on this one. The guy cloistered himself at a secret volcano training ground to prepare for this seasons goals. Do tennis stars train against 4 armed cyborgs or something equally awesome!?

Lovetoclimb
07-08-2012, 09:57 PM
http://www.atwistedspoke.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/post-8954-079485500-1277297243.jpg

Poor example of a cyclist I would say. Specialized climbers while awesome, are just that, specialized. It is the Sagans, Evans, Wiggins, Hesjedals, etc that evoke the thought of a more complete cyclist and athlete.

Louis
07-08-2012, 10:05 PM
I think it is funny that someone in a sport where doping is rampant, where there may not have been a clean TdF winner in two decades, a rider goes full retard when asked about the fans having suspicions, especially after the performance of UK Postal the day before.

I agree. When asked a question (even though it's probably been asked a million times before) and you choose to "go postal" in your response that tells me that maybe you're taking the easy way out and can't provide a reasonable answer.

Regardless of his propensity for swearing, on a topic this important he ought to be able to say something like "Yes, in this regard cycling has an unfortunate history. However, we're all working to get past that, eliminate the doping, and improve the image of the sport." It makes you wonder if he can't come up with a basic response like that.

At least he didn't say "I'm the most tested athlete on the face of the earth, and not once have I failed a PED test."

thinpin
07-08-2012, 11:00 PM
His team is beginning to look like the Discovery teams of old, and he's beginning to show some Armstrong prickliness
Not a compliment in my book, made for very dull racing.

rab
07-08-2012, 11:01 PM
I'll "raise you one" with elite/Olympic level nordic skiers. I'll put one of those athletes up against a rower or cyclist any day.

How about Olympic biathlon then? (winter ski/shoot variant)
Pretty unique combo of racing and high coordination skill event.
Always thought that must have an interesting training regimen.

Fixed
07-08-2012, 11:06 PM
Boxers are in great shape too
Cheers

Fivethumbs
07-08-2012, 11:31 PM
Anyone remember that quote "The lady [or Wiggo] protesteth too much, me thinks."

Fixed
07-08-2012, 11:34 PM
You ride with your legs not your mouth
Cheers :)

rwsaunders
07-08-2012, 11:41 PM
Racing on a bike, in all types of weather, for over 100 miles, for 4 plus hours, at speeds averaging 25 mph, with almost 200 competitors elbow to elbow and on your arse, is a bit more difficult than tennis or XC skiing imho.

However, my vote for most difficult sport just might be wrestling.

beeatnik
07-09-2012, 02:23 AM
Jack Nicklaus loved tennis.

Germany_chris
07-09-2012, 06:57 AM
He just made me a fan of his..

Next time just tell then to Shut the F*** up. If they want to talk about that days performance great if not it's over.

FlashUNC
07-09-2012, 07:50 AM
That's a clown question, bro.

Earl Gray
07-09-2012, 11:08 AM
....World class cyclists are some of the most near complete athletes I can think of. The only others that impress me as much or more are rowers...

Child Please!

At least in this country, cycling and rowing are mostly for the kids that can't make it in the real sports.

Bowling take more skill than both.

54ny77
07-09-2012, 11:17 AM
clearly none of you have ever been on the competitive chess circuit.

http://files.chesscomfiles.com/images_users/tiny_mce/ILuvPawn/stock-photo-bodybuilder-playing-chess-46254556.jpg

Louis
07-09-2012, 11:29 AM
clearly none of you have ever been on the competitive chess circuit.

A while back BBC radio had a story about some English guy who had started a Chess-Boxing league. You alternated between a few moves on the board and a round in the ring...

Germany_chris
07-09-2012, 12:20 PM
Child Please!

At least in this country, cycling and rowing are mostly for the kids that can't make it in the real sports.

Bowling take more skill than both.

LOL Bowling is like Golf it really shouldn't be that hard but it really is. Fortunately bowling balls and drilling are cheaper than clubs and fitting.:eek:

Lovetoclimb
07-09-2012, 02:12 PM
I seem to recall the US and A wInning the men's open 8 at the 2008 Olympics . . . Must have been a bunch of baseball and football dropouts though.