PDA

View Full Version : Boeckman's broken chain in Stage 6

mvrider
07-08-2012, 09:14 AM
Just had a chance to re-watch the final sprint in Stage 6 of the TdF, in which Boeckman broke his chain as he was accelerating. How common is this? It's the first time I had seen it happen on TV.

A little embarrassing that Vacansoleil is sponsored by KMC?

Seramount
07-08-2012, 09:27 AM
was he involved in any crashes prior to the chain breaking...?

just curious.

ultraman6970
07-08-2012, 10:29 AM
NO idea but that accident was weird.

Are u saying KMC chains are bad??? Because they arent. If he was shifting at the same time and the chain got caught in the chainring, nothing to do at that speed the chain will snap, in a matter of fact if you look the videos the chain was attached to the bike, to me means that the chain was trapped somewhere and maybe that's why it snapped. Who knows, ask to the magazines probably they can make an article about it :D

FlashUNC
07-08-2012, 11:01 AM
Chains break. I remember Cancellara's breaking during the Tour of Flanders a couple years back.

It happens.

oldpotatoe
07-08-2012, 01:07 PM
Just had a chance to re-watch the final sprint in Stage 6 of the TdF, in which Boeckman broke his chain as he was accelerating. How common is this? It's the first time I had seen it happen on TV.

You saw one break on TV, not the only one, I'm sure.

If all the mechanicals that happened, those of things breaking while just riding, were publisized, and some thought it 'meant' something, nobody would buy or trust any piece of gear.

wai2fast
07-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Broken chains happen. Cancellara a few years back at Flanders. A teammate of mine broke his chain seconds after rolling off the start line. Yes, he did crash as a result of the busted chain. And yes, it was embarrassing as all hell for him in front of the spectators and the other fields lined up behind us. :)

Grant McLean
07-08-2012, 01:17 PM
Chains break. I remember Cancellara's breaking during the Tour of Flanders a couple years back.

It happens.

Yeah, that was 2009 on the Koppenburg. Lots of photos of him walking up the
climb, carrying his bike over his shoulder.

It happened to Bettini in a spring classic too, on a cobble climb.

David Miller was in a breakaway during the 2008 Giro when his chain decided
it was time to 'breakaway' from his drivetrain.

-g

spartanKid
07-08-2012, 01:36 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIW1MAvyPD4

Here's a great video of David Millar suffering a chain snap right in front of the 1km to go banner.

wooly
07-08-2012, 02:42 PM

Here's a great video of David Millar suffering a chain snap right in front of the 1km to go banner.

Love how he just chucks his rig over the barriers.

palincss
07-08-2012, 03:26 PM

I guess when your chain breaks, it's time to just throw your bike away...?

spartanKid
07-08-2012, 07:32 PM

Guess he's channeling his inner caber tosser!

bart998
07-08-2012, 10:56 PM
Guess he's channeling his inner caber tosser!

I thought they were supposed to go end-over-end!

DRietz
07-08-2012, 11:02 PM

That one spectator got a nice new ride...

bambam
07-09-2012, 12:27 PM
I'm just amazed the guy didn't wreck. From all that force to no force. I've dropped a couple of chains on fixies and I can tell you thats no fun either.

sandyrs
07-09-2012, 12:55 PM

My favorite cycling video, ever. While I never would want (or probably be able) to snap a chain during a sprint, I sure know what I'll be doing if I ever suffer that misfortune :banana:

Blue Jays
07-10-2012, 11:28 PM
Catastrophic chain failure was practically unheard of twenty years ago.
Perhaps it is just my memory...yet it certainly seemed to be a far rarer event.