PDA

View Full Version : A pain in the foot

Scrafford
09-19-2005, 11:09 AM
I need some advice on hot spots. I ride approximately 150 miles a week. Any ride that I do over 50 miles, my right foot begins to ache. The ache is in the ball of my foot, below my big toe. I have moved back the cleats on my LBS suggestion. I have very wide feet and am currently wearing Mega Sidi 4. I believe my feet swell during a long ride which compounds the problem. I use "Look A 5.1" pedals. I switched from Speedplay pedals and this seems to help. I use orthotics that are made for my running shoes as inserts. I am open to any suggestions that anyone has that can help with hot spots. It is very frustrating to be uncomfortable during a ride. It definately takes away from the enjoyment. Thanks

Ken Robb
09-19-2005, 12:04 PM
OK, no laughing now: Try these: MKS Touring pedals from Rivendell and other stores. They are wide and flat and grip any un-slick sole quite well. They take clips and straps if you want them but try them without. You can wear some very comfy/supportive shoes and move your feet around on the pedal to find the best position for you and to spread the load around on long rides.

Two things can happen and they are both good: You may like tem so well you toss your other pedals no matter how much your racy pals laugh and point. You will find the position on the pedals where your feet are happiest and adjust your cleats accordingly.

Oh yeah, these 2-sided pedals are worth about 20 yards over your buddies while they try to clip in on the "post red-light" drag race--after that it's up to you.

Performance sells the Campus pedal which has a flat side like the MKS and an SPD so you can ride in bike shoes too.

flydhest
09-19-2005, 12:17 PM
Oh yeah, these 2-sided pedals are worth about 20 yards over your buddies while they try to clip in on the "post red-light" drag race

Your friends clearly need to learn to track stand :D

Ken Robb
09-19-2005, 12:19 PM
too big a crowd most of the time--if anyone starts getting too good at it I just give him a nudge. :)

flydhest
09-19-2005, 12:25 PM
TooTall does a poke with a single finger. Boy does that fellow have bony fingers . . . they seem to fit perfectly between my ribs.

owee.

Too Tall
09-19-2005, 01:06 PM
...and it makes Fly giggle :)

Don't want to appear to brush off your question about foot pain so pls. don't be offended when I ask you to use the search function and than come back with more questions. There have been some very thorough threads covering this.

Cadence230
09-20-2005, 09:15 AM
I loosen the shoe's closure straps when my feet begin to swell. I know, it's a very claustophobic feeling!