PDA

View Full Version : Standover height question for CX

Erik_A
07-07-2012, 04:55 PM
The 33.5" standover on mt 60cm Canonndale CAAD 9 is identical to my 63cm Bianchi roadbike, as is the reach. This may be because of a 200mm head tube and some fairly knobby 35 tires. I didn't test drive it, before ordering the frame - just went from fit measurements. Will this cause dismount issues?

Your/my standover is lower, toptube for CX is lower to aid in dismounting/clearance so you don't crush thy nuts on the toptube.
CX bikes should feel a tad smaller for the climbing/spinning/dismounting
done while actually riding them in CX conditions. I think the toptube length
should be more important, CX setups are a bit different than road cuz of the geometry required in the sport... my seattube is much shorter, standover is lower... overall saddle height a touch lower than road but reach & setback are the same... this is for me though, I don't know what's correct, but it feels good to me...

EricEstlund
07-07-2012, 05:24 PM
No, stand over changes won't matter. Mounts and dismounts are dynamic moves, and you won't be getting caught up by the top tube.

mattsbeers
07-07-2012, 05:43 PM
Your crossbike should fit the same as your roadbike, maybe 1cm shorter or taller but effectively size for size, ie. 58cm=58cm. But yes, the standover will be less than your roadbike.

Erik_A
07-07-2012, 06:55 PM
Thanks- The standover doesn't seem to matter to me - my leg goes right over the seat (have only done 1 race though). I just wanted to see if there was a rule of thumb for not "racking" yourself on crashes, etc. I think that I will be fine - I was surprised though with how tall the frame ended up - I am about 1/2 way through the build.

No, stand over changes won't matter. Mounts and dismounts are dynamic moves, and you won't be getting caught up by the top tube.

echelon_john
07-07-2012, 07:48 PM
I know my reply on the other thread probably seemed flip--but really what matters is your contact points. If your seat, bars and pedals are optimized for the two tasks--pedaling efficiently, and dismounting/mounting efficiently--then stand over height really shouldn't come into play any more than it would on a road bike.

The other way to look at is is that every cm you size down for stand over results in less height for shouldering the bike and further you have to lift to get onto your shoulder. That's why compact frames are not generally seen in CX.

Generally the same size frame, maybe minus a cm or two in TT length, and the same or greater stack height (bb to HT top) will be optimal. Good luck. The CAAD9 is a great cross frame.

e-RICHIE
07-07-2012, 07:49 PM
Generically speaking, if you have the same size road and 'cross bicycles, the latter's top tube height
and center of gravity will be quite a bit higher because it will have less frame drop as well as much
larger tires atmo.

ps

arrange disorder

:):):)
:cool::cool::cool:
;);):p

Erik_A
07-07-2012, 11:52 PM
Thanks John - I appreciate it. I know my reply on the other thread probably seemed flip--but really what matters is your contact points. If your seat, bars and pedals are optimized for the two tasks--pedaling efficiently, and dismounting/mounting efficiently--then stand over height really shouldn't come into play any more than it would on a road bike.

The other way to look at is is that every cm you size down for stand over results in less height for shouldering the bike and further you have to lift to get onto your shoulder. That's why compact frames are not generally seen in CX.

Generally the same size frame, maybe minus a cm or two in TT length, and the same or greater stack height (bb to HT top) will be optimal. Good luck. The CAAD9 is a great cross frame.

djg
07-08-2012, 08:42 AM
Stand-over is more or less irrelevant to mounts and dismounts for cross. Obviously, there's some point at which stand-over height might signal a bike that's just way too big for you, but the thing you need to mount is the saddle, not the top tube. Dismounting typically means standing on one pedal while you swing a leg over the saddle and either kick through or drop the free leg to the group. Mounting typically means a sort of running hop/slide onto the saddle, coming over the back. Apologies if you're already practiced at these, and take a look at some videos if not. So the real issue is the measure from the top of the saddle to the ground -- and that's a function of bb height, sta, your preferred bb-to-saddle measure, etc. Obviously the bike has to fit otherwise -- reach to the bars, balance, etc., but it doesn't really matter if you have 1 fist-full of seatpost showing or 4. In fact, there's a potential disadvantage, all else equal (and it rarely is), to having a very small main triangle, as you want room in there to "comfortably" shoulder the bike.

Also, if Richard fits you for a cross frame, chances are pretty darn good it'll be just right. But what he said (like I have anything to add) about things tending higher.

rab
07-08-2012, 11:12 PM
my cx bike has a higher standover than my road frames yield and I haven't ever seen any disadvantage/had any issues, and I have some of the shortest legs you will find at any given race. At least outside of the kid's race.

you may find that the bb height/drop of more concern when it comes to chosing a frame.