PDA

View Full Version : For CX - MTB triple vs road double

Erik_A
07-06-2012, 06:28 PM
Could I use this FSA - Mtb 22/32/44t crankset http://www.amazon.com/FSA-AFTERBURNER-Crankset-Mountain-CK-OS9195/dp/B005XBO7PA and just remove the 22T ring as a cyclocross compact crank? As apposed to this: http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/products/cyclocross/cx70/product.-code-FC-CX70.-type-.fc_road.html

I would rather have 32/44t (instead of Shimano's 36/46 for cross (and replacing the chainrings are super expensive).

I realize that the FSA is heavier, but are there other considerations using the FSA crank with a 68mm bottom bracket instead of a road crank for cross (on a Canonndale CAAD9 frame).

rice rocket
07-06-2012, 06:32 PM
What are you using this bike for?

If you think you'll be climbing mega steep things that you could on a MTB, you'll be sorely disappointed. The narrow tire will dig in and you'll spin the wheel.

If you're using this for cross, it's probably easier to go w/ a larger rear cassette than to futz with mountain cranks with 68mm BB width.

Chance
07-06-2012, 06:54 PM
I realize that the FSA is heavier, but are there other considerations using the FSA crank with a 68mm bottom bracket instead of a road crank for cross (on a Canonndale CAAD9 frame).

The FSA has a different chainline. Think it was listed at 50 mm instead of Shimano's 43.5. The other thing that is probably different is the Q-factor. The FSA is listed at 171 mm which seems wide compared to road doubles. The Shimano's Q-factor is not listed but it's probably much lower than that. Probably less than 150 or so.

Because of these two advantages, and that the Shimano looks better with a 5-arm spyder, it would be my choice if price is similar.

zandrrr
07-06-2012, 07:40 PM
I use an old school M900 XTR crank on my cross bike. It has a 110/74 5-arm spider, so I use modern "compact" chainrings.

... just to further complicate the issue. :)

Erik_A
07-06-2012, 09:00 PM
Cross training and racing (I have a road bike & MTB).

What are you using this bike for?

If you think you'll be climbing mega steep things that you could on a MTB, you'll be sorely disappointed. The narrow tire will dig in and you'll spin the wheel.

If you're using this for cross, it's probably easier to go w/ a larger rear cassette than to futz with mountain cranks with 68mm BB width.

I am leaning towards the Shimano CX50 version - not BB30 but will use an FSA adapter.

jeduardo
07-06-2012, 09:29 PM
+1 on 110bcd MTB cranks & further complications
Also suggest using a HQ set of pre "compact drive" MTb cranks (110 BCD) w/any of the current machined CX ring offering (110 bcd). Only use my 135bcd cranks w/TAs rings (34-36/42-48) for CX race days, and training on 110bcd Middleburn RS MTB crank arms ($73 on Pink Bike!) with some used Wick Werks rings 36/46

I use an old school M900 XTR crank on my cross bike. It has a 110/74 5-arm spider, so I use modern "compact" chainrings.

... just to further complicate the issue. :)