PDA

View Full Version : Record/SR EPS Upgrade Kits

FixedNotBroken
07-05-2012, 06:09 PM
Upgrading a bike to EPS. Where have you guys found the best prices for the upgrade kits? (shifters, derailleurs, etc). What do you think is a fair price got a new kit with warranty?

Thanks ahead of time.

apeescape
07-05-2012, 11:21 PM
As far as I know, the only way you can acquire EPS is by purchasing an entire gruppo. This is what I was told at the EPS certification. Has this changed?

FixedNotBroken
07-05-2012, 11:30 PM
As far as I know, the only way you can acquire EPS is by purchasing an entire gruppo. This is what I was told at the EPS certification. Has this changed?

I guess it depends where you go. You can purchase them on the bay along with a few shops that would price them separately off of the entire group. I called a few shops and they said they would sell just the upgrade kits.

oldpotatoe
07-06-2012, 07:33 AM

Some distributors list individual components, most are selling only groups right now tho, and some(QBP) are out of stock on a lot of EPS components.

Early in production, so it is somewhat scarce. BUT 'some' resellers either say they have and don't or they will not have a warranty. So, with something so expensive as EPS(or Di2), be careful out there.

If I could get ders, shifters, wiring, powerpack, charger, mounts, etc..I would sell an upgrade kit but alas, I am one of those awful MSRP kinda shops, you know, the ones that want to keep the lights on.

For the OP, I thought you had some sort of bro deal, inside line with somebody?

ultraman6970
07-06-2012, 07:34 AM
This guys looks like have a few moving around....

eurobikeparts dot com

FixedNotBroken
07-06-2012, 08:57 AM
Some distributors list individual components, most are selling only groups right now tho, and some(QBP) are out of stock on a lot of EPS components.

Early in production, so it is somewhat scarce. BUT 'some' resellers either say they have and don't or they will not have a warranty. So, with something so expensive as EPS(or Di2), be careful out there.

If I could get ders, shifters, wiring, powerpack, charger, mounts, etc..I would sell an upgrade kit but alas, I am one of those awful MSRP kinda shops, you know, the ones that want to keep the lights on.

For the OP, I thought you had some sort of bro deal, inside line with somebody?

It's hard to find just the upgrade kits alone. I just have no idea what a good price on the stuff would be. Velomine has the groups and they come with a warranty so that's probably the best bet.

FixedNotBroken
07-08-2012, 05:58 PM
Does anyone here have any extensive experience yet with the EPS group? Is it worth the $$?

sfscott
07-08-2012, 06:53 PM
Any riders out there?

Also, I have seen a UK online shop selling part separately, but alas, they did not list a rear Dr as being available.

There are also a number of small parts, such as a front dr stiffener, a front dr mounting ring and two harnesses for the power pack: one for downtube and one for seat.

With all of these extra bits, it would be nice to have a real upgrade guide for what is and is not needed...and whether there are any issues using compact cranks.

With a conventional frame, I am wondering how fugly the EPS will look with cables and zip ties galore exposed.

FixedNotBroken
07-08-2012, 06:59 PM
Any riders out there?

Also, I have seen a UK online shop selling part separately, but alas, they did not list a rear Dr as being available.

There are also a number of small parts, such as a front dr stiffener, a front dr mounting ring and two harnesses for the power pack: one for downtube and one for seat.

With all of these extra bits, it would be nice to have a real upgrade guide for what is and is not needed...and whether there are any issues using compact cranks.

With a conventional frame, I am wondering how fugly the EPS will look with cables and zip ties galore exposed.

Agreed. I have an S5 which this will go on so it will be internal for the most part but I have no idea really. Just wondering if it's even practical.

oldpotatoe
07-09-2012, 07:43 AM
Does anyone here have any extensive experience yet with the EPS group? Is it worth the $$?

'Worth' is a big word. I have installed enough EPS and Di2 to see it's slick and it works but the idea that if something fails, JRA, the only real option is to replace/warranty..not a fan of that. PLUS ya fall down and kill a rear der or lever..yowser-BIG $.

BTW-Davis Phinney came in the other day and mentioned Taylor got stuck in the mountains with a dead battery..no mechanical backup-all the way home in a 39/12.

oldpotatoe
07-09-2012, 07:46 AM
Any riders out there?

FD stiffener only needed on brazeon Fders where the brazeon tab is carbon.

Only one harness with an extension if the frame is above a certain size.

It isn't that bad, no worse than exposed der housing and cables or a wired computer or powertap rear wheel. Wires run below downtube and under RH seat stay...not a big deal.

FixedNotBroken
07-11-2012, 09:51 PM
'Worth' is a big word. I have installed enough EPS and Di2 to see it's slick and it works but the idea that if something fails, JRA, the only real option is to replace/warranty..not a fan of that. PLUS ya fall down and kill a rear der or lever..yowser-BIG $.

BTW-Davis Phinney came in the other day and mentioned Taylor got stuck in the mountains with a dead battery..no mechanical backup-all the way home in a 39/12.

Out of the two..dealing with both extensively. Which group would you personally recommend Peter?

130R
07-12-2012, 12:11 AM
Out of the two..dealing with both extensively. Which group would you personally recommend Peter?

LOL

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-l-Vxd9Fqc0I/T_vPGgAmU3I/AAAAAAAAAdQ/4ycKPacOAeg/s1600/take-my-money.jpg

FixedNotBroken
07-12-2012, 12:49 AM
LOL

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-l-Vxd9Fqc0I/T_vPGgAmU3I/AAAAAAAAAdQ/4ycKPacOAeg/s1600/take-my-money.jpg

..? It was a serious question. I am on the fence regarding the two. I know Di2 has been out longer but I am a Campy enthusiast..I really am torn between the two.

jbrainin
07-12-2012, 01:05 AM
FWIW, you can find EPS stuff here: http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?sort=priority+asc%2Cscore+desc&PAGE=SEARCH_SOLR_RESULTS&OPTION=SOLR_SEARCH_PRODUCT&q=eps&x=0&y=0

FixedNotBroken
07-12-2012, 01:24 AM
FWIW, you can find EPS stuff here: http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?sort=priority+asc%2Cscore+desc&PAGE=SEARCH_SOLR_RESULTS&OPTION=SOLR_SEARCH_PRODUCT&q=eps&x=0&y=0

Thanks. I'm aware of CC.

monkeybanana86
07-12-2012, 01:28 AM
..? It was a serious question. I am on the fence regarding the two. I know Di2 has been out longer but I am a Campy enthusiast..I really am torn between the two.

I think he meant that it appears you have no worries about the issues listed above :)

FixedNotBroken
07-12-2012, 01:32 AM
I think he meant that it appears you have no worries about the issues listed above :)

Ohhh okay. Well they only offer them in separate pieces..not as an upgrade kit.

FixedNotBroken
07-12-2012, 01:46 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2013-Campagnolo-Super-Record-Ti-EPS-Electronic-Road-Group-/120939841699?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c289388a3#ht_2600wt_1147

This can't be right...

oldpotatoe
07-12-2012, 07:32 AM

Whatdayathink?

zandrrr
07-12-2012, 09:15 AM

I don't have much interest in electronic shifting at all but this seems to be more the fault of Taylor than Di2. Keeping the battery charged is just part of the deal and dead batteries seem to be easily avoided. If someone gets a flat and doesn't have a pump or co2 with them, is it the fault of the tire that they have to walk home?

Black Dog
07-12-2012, 09:47 AM
Some places are selling the shift kit (http://www.probikekit.com/ca/components/groupsets/campagnolo-super-record-eps-electronic-shift-kit.html).

clweed
07-12-2012, 10:00 AM
Upgrade Kit (http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Campagnolo-Record-11-EPS-Upgrade-Kit-Group-set-New-in-Box-Groupset-Gruppo-/300712885472?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4603e27ce0)

Some places are selling the shift kit (http://www.probikekit.com/ca/components/groupsets/campagnolo-super-record-eps-electronic-shift-kit.html).

reggiebaseball
07-12-2012, 10:05 AM

Either electronic groupset is a waste of money. Neither offers any performance advantage or weight savings over it's mechanical bretheren, while both will depreciate quickly and do not merit the 300% price premium.

Shimano Di2 is about to be supplanted by 11 speed, it would be a terrible investment at this time. It is hard for people to dump their Di2 at half retail currently, and prices will only crater as the "superior" 11 speed is released. This is the absolute worst time to invest in Di2 at retail pricing.

As a Campy enthusiast, I simply cannot understand how you could even consider Di2. HAve you actually held those levers and tried shifting them? Shimano designs shifters for robot testing hands, not human flesh hands. The button feel is also very mechanical and unresponsive, like mouse clicks rather than shifting.

EPS electronic provides vastly superior lever feel. It also provides multiple shifting. However, it really is not a big difference from cable actuated Chorus shifting, and it is a waste of money.

All electronic groups loose their value at a "digital" rate, rather than analogue.

None of the electronic shifting packages represent a good value or a performance leap over their mechanical analogues.

CaptStash
07-12-2012, 11:13 AM
Either electronic groupset is a waste of money...The button feel is also very mechanical and unresponsive, like mouse clicks rather than shifting...None of the electronic shifting packages represent a good value or a performance leap over their mechanical analogues.

Wow! Tell us how you really feel. The value is up to the buyer, which is of course how marketplaces work. I have a few friends who ride Di2 bikes, and they love them. For them they were worth the money. A significant performance enhancement of Di2/EPS is the ability to add a second set of shifting buttons. This is of course invaluable on a TT/Tri bike, but alsao of value on a road bike if you spend time on top of the bars. A set of shifters at the bar tops comes in quite handy. Di2 shifting under load while climbing also appears to be an improvement over 7800 (I haven't ridden 7900), and don't have any experience with EPS.

YMMV

Stash....

FixedNotBroken
07-12-2012, 12:04 PM
Either electronic groupset is a waste of money. Neither offers any performance advantage or weight savings over it's mechanical bretheren, while both will depreciate quickly and do not merit the 300% price premium.

Shimano Di2 is about to be supplanted by 11 speed, it would be a terrible investment at this time. It is hard for people to dump their Di2 at half retail currently, and prices will only crater as the "superior" 11 speed is released. This is the absolute worst time to invest in Di2 at retail pricing.

As a Campy enthusiast, I simply cannot understand how you could even consider Di2. HAve you actually held those levers and tried shifting them? Shimano designs shifters for robot testing hands, not human flesh hands. The button feel is also very mechanical and unresponsive, like mouse clicks rather than shifting.

EPS electronic provides vastly superior lever feel. It also provides multiple shifting. However, it really is not a big difference from cable actuated Chorus shifting, and it is a waste of money.

All electronic groups loose their value at a "digital" rate, rather than analogue.

None of the electronic shifting packages represent a good value or a performance leap over their mechanical analogues.

I have felt the shifters and they feel much better than 7800/7900 to me. But...the reason why I would consider Di2 is because it's been around longer, it is less expensive (not an issue), and it's more prevalent. A lot of the shops locally haven't even installed an EPS group yet. The only shop that has EPS and has installed the group is where I bought my S5 and they are two hours away. I test rode the Dogma 2 with SR EPS just to see how the EPS felt and it was very nice. I wanted to get Peter's opinion because he sees this stuff everyday and has extensive experience.

I am not saying there will be a 'performance leap'..I just simply love the electric groups and their functionality. I don't understand how you can tell me what a waste of money is or isn't. I posted this to seek info..not be told how to spend my money.

reggiebaseball
07-12-2012, 04:09 PM
You asked for opinions, I gave you mine.

Boo hoo if you don't like it, I am not hear to tell you what you want to hear, I am trying to tell you the truth.

I told you the Di2 group is already depreciated heavily, and will be supplanted in 6 months.

I have told you the EPS group has superior ergonomics.

If you go to Herriott Sports Performance across from Fremont you can try both. They have an EPS build sitting on the showroom floor, you don't have to drive two hours or go to a Cervelo store.

I have owned Di2 (gave it to my wife after being unable to sell it for 50% off retail after 1 season). I have tried EPS. Neither is an advancement over mechanical, both have drawbacks, not the least significant being cost.

When something goes wrong, few shops will be able to help you. It is rare for something to go wrong however. Both groupsets are used under worse conditions than you will encounter, and under more powerful riders than you will ever be, and both perform admirably.

If you are so desperate for electronic shifting, buy locally and support Herriott or Branford Bicycles in Seattle. Either commercial operation should be able to compare the two groups, demonstrate them, and potentially loan you some to ride.

Enjoy your new groupset.

mvrider
07-12-2012, 04:36 PM
Here's why I sprung for Di2 on my wife's new build: the front shifting is effortless.

I used to watch her and her smallish hands struggle when shifting the front derailleur (FWIW, Ultegra 6600). Sometimes she would practically stop pedaling to focus her concentration on that left shifter.

Now, with a touch of a button, she's good to go. Electronic shifting makes short rollers easy to deal with, even with compact crank.

For me and my size XL hands, mechanical Campy is great. Chorus10, Record10, Chorus11... they are all fantastic.

That being said, Dura-Ace Di2 11-speed is compelling for two reasons: (1) you can program multiple shifts, just like EPS, and (2) you can have a seatpost-mounted battery, which you never can with EPS. Granted, the crankset is polarizing, and you have to check that your hubs will fit the new cassette.

apeescape
07-12-2012, 04:40 PM
Di2 is set it and forget it. For my customers who don't wrench its the ideal system, and the ffront shifting is telepathic. Electronic shifting isn't going anywhere.

reggiebaseball
07-12-2012, 05:39 PM
Here's why I sprung for Di2 on my wife's new build: the front shifting is effortless.

I used to watch her and her smallish hands struggle when shifting the front derailleur (FWIW, Ultegra 6600). Sometimes she would practically stop pedaling to focus her concentration on that left shifter.

Now, with a touch of a button, she's good to go. Electronic shifting makes short rollers easy to deal with, even with compact crank.

This is 100% accurate. My wife loves her Di2 for identical reasons.

mvrider
07-22-2012, 12:38 PM
Not a whopping sale, but they are on sale (http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?start=0&utm_medium=email&sort=brand+asc&sort=priority+asc%2Cscore+desc&PAGE=SEARCH_SOLR_RESULTS&OPTION=SOLR_SEARCH_ALL_SPECIAL_PRODUCT&utm_campaign=Site-Wide+Sale+-+Up+to+75+off+your+favorite+brands&utm_source=Email+marketing+software&rows=15&URL1=sale%2F&utm_content=Site-Wide+Sale+-+Up+to+75+off+your+favorite+brands+CID_c15561ac1c9 0147fd92766f80b700d40&cmp_id=EM_SAL15071a1&start=0&MODE=SPECIALS&utm_term=Site-Wide+Sale+072212&fq=onsale%3Atrue&alt_title=Sale&facet.field=site&facet.field=product_type&facet.field=brand&facet.field=component_type&facet.field=apparel_type&facet.field=accessory_type&facet.field=gender&facet.field=review_type&facet.field=size&fq=brand%3ACampagnolo).

oldpotatoe
07-23-2012, 07:37 AM
I don't have much interest in electronic shifting at all but this seems to be more the fault of Taylor than Di2. Keeping the battery charged is just part of the deal and dead batteries seem to be easily avoided. If someone gets a flat and doesn't have a pump or co2 with them, is it the fault of the tire that they have to walk home?

Nope but around the republic, stand there for a few minutes and somebody will ask you for help..they 'probably' have a tube or patch kit of a pump..not many will have a spare battery.

laupsi
07-23-2012, 07:52 AM
I have nothing against new technology, in this case, electronic shifting. As a matter of fact I am all for it...

But and you knew this was coming, I rode this weekend on my new Ottrott, have only had it since January. Fitted w/SR 11 spd, it is now at the point where the shifting is dialed in just about perfectly w/the rear cassett. you know crisp, quick, effortless. as though that rear derailleur, like the pedals, are an extension of me.

If electronic shifting can improve this experience it must be pretty special. As for the front derailluer I have never had an issue w/simply tapping it whilst in a 53/23 to keep from rubbing. suffice it to say as long as I can have rides like this I doubt I will be switching any time soon.

evo111@comcast.net
07-23-2012, 10:45 AM
trickle down - Athena eps coming out

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/07/23/2013-campagnolo-athena-eps-italian-components-trickle-down-electronic-shifting/#more-46506