PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed: DT Swiss 240s hubs

dukeisno1
07-05-2012, 09:59 AM
I purchased a handbuilt wheelset that used DT Swiss 240s hubs. Unfortunately, a spoke pulled through the rear rim (Mavic CXP 33) leaving it unrideable. With Shimano announcing 11 speed for 2013, I'm looking for advice on what to do with the wheelset.

Will the hub be Shimano 11 speed compatible with a new freehub?
If so, will the dish need to be changed after getting a new freehub?

If rebuilding the wheel, should I stick with the CXP 33? I've been wanting to try wide rims and would like to wait for the Velocity A23 O/C.

Or should I cut my losses and sell the hubs?

Thanks.
Joe

DRZRM
07-05-2012, 10:13 AM
I thought that the O/C was really mostly for Campy users, but of course I really have no idea so take it with a grain of salt, it's been a long time since I've had anything Shimano except on a MTB. That said, I thought Shimano lined up better with centered holes, and Campy built stronger O/C. No?

christian
07-05-2012, 10:39 AM
You should replace the rim. I'd personally use a CXP33, as it's a pretty stout rim and you can re-use the spokes. Cheep, cheep, cheep.

thwart
07-05-2012, 11:18 AM
I thought that the O/C was really mostly for Campy users, but of course I really have no idea so take it with a grain of salt, it's been a long time since I've had anything Shimano except on a MTB. That said, I thought Shimano lined up better with centered holes, and Campy built stronger O/C. No?
I think both Shimano and Campy can benefit from an offset... Campy much moreso since they have a wider freehub and less dish. But I'm sure a wheelbuilder will chime in here...

torquer
07-05-2012, 12:47 PM
BikeRumor published this comparison between current (10-speed) DT hubs and next year's (11-speed) hubs:
http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/05/01/11-speed-road-bike-hubs-versus-10-speed-tech-breakdown/
Freehub body width increases 1.8mm, and spoke flanges move 1.1mm towards the NDS (which makes offset rims even more desireable.)
http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/DT-Swiss-Shimano-11-speed-hub-diagram2-600x425.gif

dukeisno1
07-05-2012, 11:20 PM
I didn't know O/C helped Campy more than Shimano. Sounds like they will be marginally better for 11-speed DT Swiss too. Good to know.

I want to be frugal too (like Christian's reply).

The dimensions for the 11-speed hubs makes me believe that the older hubs will be 11-speed compatible. Wish DT Swiss would say it though. That would make me feel better about holding on to the hubs.

Thanks all.
Joe

oldpotatoe
07-06-2012, 07:40 AM
I purchased a handbuilt wheelset that used DT Swiss 240s hubs. Unfortunately, a spoke pulled through the rear rim (Mavic CXP 33) leaving it unrideable. With Shimano announcing 11 speed for 2013, I'm looking for advice on what to do with the wheelset.

If so, will the dish need to be changed after getting a new freehub?

If rebuilding the wheel, should I stick with the CXP 33? I've been wanting to try wide rims and would like to wait for the Velocity A23 O/C.

Or should I cut my losses and sell the hubs?

Thanks.
Joe

Hard to say what/when DT will do for shimano 11s.... You have already decided on going to DA 11s for 2013 I guess?

I suspect it will be late 2013 before DT has a 11s shimano 'fix' but who knows..email them..

http://www.dtswiss.com/Meta/Top/Contact.aspx
I have built hundreds of CXP-33s and have maybe see an eyelet pullout once or twice. They, aoung the rims from mavic, are really good rims. A23 as well, built more than a few.

BTW- I doubt that a standard shimano/sram DT freehub will support a shimano 11s cogset...not tall enough.

As for OC rims, they are a great idea for any road rear wheel. BUT they are not essential for a Campagnolo hub rear wheel. I have build hundreds of rear wheels on Campagnolo rear hubs, w/o OC rims and they work just fine, thanks. Regardless of what peter white says.