PDA

View Full Version : OT: Any Yo La Tengo fans out there?

estilley
07-05-2012, 09:36 AM
I just finished reading "Big Day Coming: Yo La Tengo and the Rise of Indie Rock." Awesome stuff about an awesome band and indie rock as well.

Russell
07-05-2012, 10:03 AM
I just finished reading "Big Day Coming: Yo La Tengo and the Rise of Indie Rock." Awesome stuff about an awesome band and indie rock as well.

Oh yeah, I dig their twisted pop music.

Liv2RideHard
07-05-2012, 10:40 AM
A fave of mine on Pandora. Their station is one of my favorites.

oliver1850
07-05-2012, 11:15 AM
Thanks for mentioning the book, I'd be interested in reading it. They have their off nights, but I saw a show in a small club when Ira got angry with the promoter and played the most intense set I've ever seen. They were great that night.

schwa86
07-05-2012, 11:16 AM
Fakebook one of my favorite "summer" CDs -- and Speeding Motorcycle one of the great summer tunes -- though I like their more traditional stuff too. Will look for the book -- thanks for posting.

bikerboy337
07-05-2012, 11:21 AM
Caught them in 2005 doing a live score to a french film "sounds of science" in North Adams, MA at Mass MOCA. My parents were in town, so my wife and I went with my 60 something parents to see it... it was really really cool, wasn't a huge fan before that, but have picked up a few albums since and really like their stuff.

mosca
07-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Love them, and if you haven't seen the video for "Tom Courtenay", you must:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtBDlNEME48

beeatnik
07-05-2012, 02:08 PM
At a show in Hollywood a few years back, Ira was doing his usual shtick between tunes. It was a kind of audience Q&A. When he asked a woman (who was obviously in her 30s) near the front if she was "in school," that kind of represented the passing of an era to me. The end of what we used to call college rock or the first era of indie rock. It was weird to be at a Yo La Tengo show and not see anyone under 25. Long live Yo La Tengo.

Chris W.
07-05-2012, 08:43 PM
At a show in Hollywood a few years back, Ira was doing his usual shtick between tunes. It was a kind of audience Q&A. When he asked a woman (who was obviously in her 30s) near the front if she was "in school," that kind of represented the passing of an era to me. The end of what we used to call college rock or the first era of indie rock. It was weird to be at a Yo La Tengo show and not see anyone under 25. Long live Yo La Tengo.

Yo La Tengo is a favorite in our house, and we are in our early 50s ;-)

AgilisMerlin
07-05-2012, 08:53 PM
my wife just showed me, our

fakebook
darkewasthenight
iamnotafraidofyouandiwillbeatyourass

goodstuff

oliver1850
07-05-2012, 09:20 PM
It's interesting to me that age has come up in this thread. I guess I don't think about it much, and don't consider the age of the performers to have any bearing on whether I'll like their music. At the Wilco show Tuesday there was a pretty diverse age range, from college age to a generation older. I didn't get the impression that the audience was there for a nostalgia experience. I think of both YLT and Wilco as being intelligent, creative folks. I hope there are 18 year olds out there that think the same.

I saw Muddy Waters a couple of times when he was in his 60s and I was in my teens, and wouldn't trade the experiences for anything.

don'TreadOnMe
07-05-2012, 09:36 PM
A band you must see if you get the chance.
YLT=Truly Great ATMO

Nelson99
07-06-2012, 05:22 AM
Was at a YLT concert in the basement of a coffeehouse in Boston. Good time... Good band.
:beer: