PDA

View Full Version : squeaky cleat/shoe

tch
09-18-2005, 10:55 PM
Help. I have a Look cleat/Northwave shoe combo which squeaks and makes unpleasant noises after about 10 miles. It is almost exclusively on the left shoe. I have tried lube, wax, subtle adjustments, etc. on both pedal and cleat and nothing makes it better for long. Other shoes and cleats in the same pedals are nice and quiet. Any advice? The cleats are the new bi-material red cleats and the shoes are Northwaves with carbon soles. BTW, I have had a hard time getting the cleats to stay in position on the shoes and have cranked down big time on the bolts. Interestingly, the squeak persists even more now that I seem to have gotten the cleats to stay in position. [As a side-note, I have come to really hate these shoes: they give me hot spots, as I said the cleats won't stay fixed in position without major torque on the bolts, and now this unbearable squeak, creak, groan.]

Anyway, any suggestions?

Too Tall
09-19-2005, 06:48 AM
Take the rubber piece out and throw it away. Does the cleat have full contact with the sole of the shoe? Look for little bits of rock embedded in the cleat....you did all the other tricks I know. Last, I know this sounds crazy...but check to be very sure you are not using too long screws. If the end of the screw protrudes even slightly beyond the t-bolt embedded in the shoe than the insole can compress under pressure and dig into your metatarsals...seen that happen more than once...it is hard to spot because the foam bounces back with the shoe off...just mash your thumb into the foam and feel for it.

Dekonick
09-19-2005, 09:09 AM
And you can use a plain old wax candle - rub your cleats before each ride with the candle. Works great!

Fixed
09-19-2005, 09:14 AM
bro bar soap cleats.or sell em
Cheers :beer:

tuco
09-19-2005, 10:27 PM

Anyway, any suggestions?

Assuming cleat/pedal interface. Lemon pledge. I clean my ti frame with it too. It probably can be used in place of chamois creme, chamois butt'r, bag balm, or similar. Aftershave?

BumbleBeeDave
09-20-2005, 06:36 AM
. . . and it’s turned out to be dirt that has been ground into the plastic of the pedal at the contact point between cleat and pedal. Look at the bottom of your cleat and see if there are black shiny spots on it. That’s what’s squeaking. Scrape them off with a pocket knife and try riding again. This black desposit also seems to build up on the front lip of the cleat where it contacts the pedal and I scrape it off there, too.

Hope this helps!

BBDave

Cadence230
09-20-2005, 08:55 AM
I hear ya! I'm trying to figure out why mine are doing it. I tried solvents and a wire brush on all surfaces and with just minimal relief. Bbdave, I believe, is on the right track with surface build up material...I've thought as such. Maybe take them totally apart and clean them? I'll try this next. Maybe then new cleats? (I use speedplay zeros.) I did a 600 mile week last week and spending about 32 hrs of listening to it you either get used to it or it drives you nutz...ooooommmm. Good luck and keep us posted. I'll do the same. :)