PDA

View Full Version : Finally Faced reality....Got a rear view mirror and raised handle bars 1"

Ralph
07-04-2012, 12:57 PM
Slightly before I got to be 70 years old, about a year or so ago, I noticed I had difficulty turning my head to see trafic coming up behind me, and also developed a lot of neck pain after long rides. But still keep up my 75-125 miles per week on bike. Just figured hurting was part of it.

On my daily ride I have to make a left turn a couple times, crossing over several lanes of traffic, and these days with electric vehicles, you just can't be sure there isn't a car coming, just because you don't hear it.

And for many years I rode with handle bars about 3-4 inches below height of saddle nose with no problems...until recently. Never used drops, after getting Campy Ergo's a few years ago. Just rode on hoods.

Recent MRI showed degeneration of cervical spine....partly from aging and partly genetics ....Doc says. He said cycling didn't cause it. (he's a cyclist himself) He also said to keep riding as much as I could....keep going to gym for light weight lifting, etc.

So.....Moved my bars up an inch or so....now about 1.5-2" lower than saddle height. Man....what a difference in neck comfort.....now again able to use drops, for short period, if I happen to wind up in front of a "Paceline".

And got a small rear view mirror that fits on my riding glasses. Bike Peddler on E Bay. Doesn't show a lot of detail....but now I know what's behind me with only a slight turn of my head. Should have got one of those years ago. No downside to using one I can tell.

Keep on Riding!

AngryScientist
07-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Over 70 and still putting in >100 mile weeks? If you were to write a book sir, i will be first in line. Good going brother, keep those pedals turning.

mbakes
07-04-2012, 01:40 PM
At 52 I can only hope I will be posting about riding 75 to 125 miles a week at 70. I have some arthritis in my neck which makes turning difficult so I use a mirror which attaches to the end of the drops. Makes long rides easier.

tv_vt
07-04-2012, 01:46 PM
Cheers to you, Ralph. And good move on the adjustments.

Another mirror option that isn't so obtrusive is the Italian Bike Mirror, available through Aspire Velo Tech. Tiny mirror that fits on left end of handlebar.

Ken Robb
07-04-2012, 01:47 PM
I too have arthritis in my neck. A good physical therapist helped me improve my range of motion quite a bit.

biker72
07-04-2012, 01:49 PM
Join the club Ralph. At 74 I have some of the same problems.
Raise the bars a little...a mirror..no problem. Call me FRED but I'm still riding...:)

I commute to work...yes still working. I have a couple of days off during the week to do longer rides.

Ralph
07-04-2012, 02:53 PM
I too have arthritis in my neck. A good physical therapist helped me improve my range of motion quite a bit.

My experience also. Spent some time in physical therapy recently working on posture and strengthening back muscles most of us don't work. So now....in the gym....I make sure I gat a balanced workout, front and rear of bod. Concentrate on doing work out correctly. As you say, PT helped me a lot, and taught me the correct way to work out for my goals. My goals in gym not same as when I was 30. Would suggest the younger folks on here start this ASAP....working on posture and back muscles.

I'm also satisfied to get many of my miles in on lightly used 14' wide trails we have around here....at least during heavy traffic times of week. Central Florida has some good trails. Not for training, but for riding 14-18 MPH range....like I ride. Ride roads Sun AM usually.

majorpat
07-04-2012, 03:26 PM
Who cares? Sport the mirror, raise the bars all you want, my man, most Americans your age aren't even getting off the couch.
You're still the man in the arena!

67-59
07-04-2012, 03:33 PM
Over 70 and still putting in >100 mile weeks? If you were to write a book sir, i will be first in line. Good going brother, keep those pedals turning.

You bet. If raising the bars a bit keeps you on the road at 70+, raising the bars it shall be!:banana:

rwsaunders
07-04-2012, 05:09 PM
Who cares? Sport the mirror, raise the bars all you want, my man, most Americans your age aren't even getting off the couch.
You're still the man in the arena!

Correction...most people half his age aren't getting off the couch...rock on Ralph.

douglas
07-04-2012, 05:38 PM
I'm 60 and my bars are up high, my drops are compact and I use a bar-end mirror which works real well. I'd like to be able to say that I ride as much as you do.

false_Aest
07-04-2012, 05:40 PM
Ralph,

As us young-unz say, "That's the tits!" Who cares if your bars end up 4" above your seat, you're riding a bike.

mike p
07-04-2012, 06:35 PM
I say when you hit retirement age you get a free pass on aesthetics, bike related or not! Ride on Ralph and Biker72!

Mike

Ti Designs
07-04-2012, 07:09 PM
Just figured hurting was part of it.

It's a common mistake.

pdmtong
07-04-2012, 07:34 PM
there are some 70ish guys I ride with on occassion. every year they ride their age and elevation on their birthday. they have positive rise/short stems, mirrors, and mtb gearing in the back. but, these guys are stong (like death ride finisher multiple times)

when I ride with them, the breaks are more frequent, and a bit longer.

I figure if I can keep doing what I am doing now, I will be able to account for myself when it's my turn to be 70.

a few truths in life...no one an stop the hands of time and one day your brand new bike willbe 10 years old. it happens.

raise your bars, get a mirror. keep it going what ever it takes. hats off to you!

pdmtong
07-04-2012, 07:36 PM
you might also try the newer shorter drop/compact bars...they allow a lot of folks to get in the drops for more variability in their hand position

Ralph
07-04-2012, 08:10 PM
Thanks for mentioning....I've got those on both bikes I ride regularly.

Adapted fairly quickly to mirror on side of glasses. Wish I had done that years ago. I remember in early 70's guys had these also. Just so much safer to be able to keep up with what's coming up behind you. Got nothing against bar end mirrors, just have two bikes I ride regularly, and a third one I sometimes ride....didn't want to get 3 mirrors. Besides....I think I can take a quick look over my shoulder with these, just shifting my eyes, with less distraction than looking down at bar end. Maybe wrong about that. Imagine larger bar end mirror gives more detail.

BTW,,,,,I have couple friends, one same age, one older, who ride a lotmore than I do. One with hip replacement. Not as strong as I used to be, need a lot more gear to get up long steep hills, but at my pace can ride about as far as I could years ago. Key is keeping weight down. Don't want to wind up carrying equivalent of couple bikes around your waist. Being retired since 98, and being able to get out on bike about every morning helps. Living in Florida helps. heat feels good on old bones. Lots of riding around here.

MattTuck
07-04-2012, 08:17 PM
I was going to say you should change your name to "Fred" ralph... but come'on, you're a god among men.

Anyone over 65 and still riding a bike regularly, gets a star. if you're putting in that kind of serious mileage.... you get an official belgian hardman membership.

Nice going!

PS. I ride with a helmet mirror and I'm 33. I think it provides a tactical advantage when I ride with other people so I can see if they're weakening.

ngilbert
07-04-2012, 09:44 PM
Hats off to you my friend. I hope I'm putting in that kind of mileage at your age.

Btw, What does the term "Fred" mean around here? It's new to me.

Thanks

eddief
07-04-2012, 10:14 PM
as i started to use a mirror at only age 51. why move your head when all you have to do is move your eyes?

rwsaunders
07-04-2012, 11:08 PM
[QUOTE=ngilbert;1166195]Hats off to you my friend. I hope I'm putting in that kind of mileage at your age.

Btw, What does the term "Fred" mean around here? It's new to me.

From Wikipedia....

Fred is a derisive term used by "serious" road cyclists to describe other cyclists who do not conform to serious road cyclists' norms with regard to dress and equipment, and appear amateurish to them. The term is generally reserved for men, while the female Fred is sometimes called a Wilma or Doris. The exact qualities that define one as a "Fred" vary widely among regions and cyclists. The earliest two definitions used for the term are contradictory.

In the UK, an early usage of the word is the more common—used by 'serious' roadies (cyclists who ride racing bicycles, and may themselves participate in competitive events) to refer to (stereotypically) bearded, sandal-wearing, cyclists without any high-tech gear.[citation needed] These Freds are not generally total novice cyclists, and often ride fairly frequently. This usage still survives in the US. David Bernstein, presenter of The FredCast says the term is "used by 'serious' roadies to disparage utility cyclists and touring riders, especially after these totally unfashionable 'freds' drop the 'serious' roadies on hills because the 'serious' guys were really posers."

More recently, particularly in the US, a Fred is more often somebody with higher quality and more expensive cycling equipment than his or her talent and commitment would warrant. For example, a stereotypical Fred by this definition would be an individual with little cycling experience who watches the highlights of a few Tour de France stages, then goes to a bike store and purchases a Trek carbon fiber Madone in Team Discovery colors, along with Team Discovery shorts and jersey. Thus outfitted with equipment virtually identical to that which Lance Armstrong used, far more expensive than that used by many high-standard racing cyclists, and more costly than many automobiles, the "Fred" then uses his bicycle merely to ride on a cycling path at 15*mph (24*km/h), something which even the most casual untrained cyclist can manage on an inexpensive hybrid bicycle. Some use "Fred" in a somewhat similar matter, but more synonymous with a roadie poseur. However, a Fred isn't necessarily someone who intentionally tries to put forth an image of being better or more knowledgeable than they are. Rather, a Fred is an inexperienced or unskilled cyclist who gets some top high-end or copy-cat racing gear for any reason. Unlike most poseurs, a Fred may still ride lacking some fundamental piece of competitive roadie equipment or style.

A third use of the term exists. In this usage, a "Fred" is a cyclist who has a ton of cycling gear, especially of the utilitarian "uncool" kind, like mirrors, powerful lights, fenders, bells/horns, heavy leather seats, racks, reflective gear, bags, baskets, etc. The gear and bike may be put together by kludgey homemade solutions, like duct-taped flashlights to the handlebar.[1] This type of Fred is a bike geek who likes/needs lots of gear (even if it is modified stuff not intended for bikes). Sacrificing some, or ignoring completely, concerns of speed or traditional roadie/sport cyclist style, these type of Freds are more concerned with practical concerns like comfort, safety, versatility, maintenance, being able to quickly transition to time and culture on/off the bicycle, etc. These cyclists may be well aware of their fredness, once they are aware of the concept, and often embrace it wholeheartedly.

mnoble485
07-05-2012, 07:16 AM
Ralph,
I also live in central Florida and if you wouldn't mind putting up with a young man of 63 I would love to share a ride sometime.

You may need to pull most of the time a take more frequent breaks but might be fun. PM if interested.

Mike

Ralph
07-05-2012, 07:17 AM
Moved some spacers to under my stems a few months ago to gain a little bar height, then flipped the stems recently to gain the final 1". My bars are still at least 1 1/2-1 3/4" lower than saddle. And now more likely to use drops....so maybe riding position as good as before, or better. For sure....for my riding, more comfortable. The "flipped" stem look definitely gives me the "Fred" look. My son (Jonathan Greene... custom frame builder) said it didn't look too bad. And he likes his frames to look "right" when I ride them.

smead
07-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Slightly before I got to be 70 years old, about a year or so ago, I noticed I had difficulty turning my head to see trafic coming up behind me, and also developed a lot of neck pain after long rides. But still keep up my 75-125 miles per week on bike. Just figured hurting was part of it.

On my daily ride I have to make a left turn a couple times, crossing over several lanes of traffic, and these days with electric vehicles, you just can't be sure there isn't a car coming, just because you don't hear it.

And for many years I rode with handle bars about 3-4 inches below height of saddle nose with no problems...until recently. Never used drops, after getting Campy Ergo's a few years ago. Just rode on hoods.

Recent MRI showed degeneration of cervical spine....partly from aging and partly genetics ....Doc says. He said cycling didn't cause it. (he's a cyclist himself) He also said to keep riding as much as I could....keep going to gym for light weight lifting, etc.

So.....Moved my bars up an inch or so....now about 1.5-2" lower than saddle height. Man....what a difference in neck comfort.....now again able to use drops, for short period, if I happen to wind up in front of a "Paceline".

And got a small rear view mirror that fits on my riding glasses. Bike Peddler on E Bay. Doesn't show a lot of detail....but now I know what's behind me with only a slight turn of my head. Should have got one of those years ago. No downside to using one I can tell.

Keep on Riding!

Bravo to you sir! I'm 48, have been riding w/ my eye glass mirror for 10 years now. Would never leave home w/o it. Yeah I don't look fast or cool and get those distainful glares from the racer boys, but that makes it all the more fun when most of them get dropped by fred.

learningtoride
07-05-2012, 01:04 PM
:

cpsqlrwn
07-05-2012, 04:55 PM
Been using a mirror for many years. Just not worth the risk with people on cell phones, coming home from happy hours, etc. Can't be too careful. Recently, after almost 50 years of riding, I also raised the bars and went to taller frames to secure a more upright, comfortable position. Kind of rejuvenates you. Hopefully in 10 years, when I'm 70, I'll be able to make the same statment as you. Congratulations on your perserverance and being young at heart!

magoo
07-05-2012, 05:42 PM
. Thanks for the post Ralph. Coupled with a conversation I had with RWSaunders a few weeks back, I stopped at my LBS today and bought an eyeglass mirror. I don't hear very well and also have a stiff neck. I'll be 73 in a few weeks.
Last summer we bought a place in an over 55 park in central Fl. We are only 1.6 miles from the southern end of the Withlacoochee StateTrail. I had hoped to get in 100 miles weekly, but fell somewhat short at 1000 miles in 3months. Sure beats freezing up north!
Jim

Thanks for the post Ralph. Coupled with a conversation with RWSaunders several weeks ago, I stopped at my LBS today and bought an eyeglass mirror. My neck doesn't work very well either, and I don't hear as well as I should. I will be 73 in a few weeks.
Last summer we bought a place in an over 55 park , which is located 1.6miles from the Withlacoochee State Trail in central Florida. We spent 3 months there last winter and my goal was 100 miles per week. I fell somewhat short,but still got in 1000 miles. Hopefully I'll do better next winter. PM me and perhaps we could get together.
Jim

Ralph
07-05-2012, 06:52 PM
. Thanks for the post Ralph. Coupled with a conversation I had with RWSaunders a few weeks back, I stopped at my LBS today and bought an eyeglass mirror. I don't hear very well and also have a stiff neck. I'll be 73 in a few weeks.
Last summer we bought a place in an over 55 park in central Fl. We are only 1.6 miles from the southern end of the Withlacoochee StateTrail. I had hoped to get in 100 miles weekly, but fell somewhat short at 1000 miles in 3months. Sure beats freezing up north!
Jim

Thanks for the post Ralph. Coupled with a conversation with RWSaunders several weeks ago, I stopped at my LBS today and bought an eyeglass mirror. My neck doesn't work very well either, and I don't hear as well as I should. I will be 73 in a few weeks.
Last summer we bought a place in an over 55 park , which is located 1.6miles from the Withlacoochee State Trail in central Florida. We spent 3 months there last winter and my goal was 100 miles per week. I fell somewhat short,but still got in 1000 miles. Hopefully I'll do better next winter. PM me and perhaps we could get together.
Jim

Withlachooche Trail and some area roads sure good riding. You must live near Dade City.

magoo
07-05-2012, 07:19 PM
I wondered what happened to that other post!!! Yes, we're on hwy 301
about 2 miles N of Dade City. Hope to be there again next winter. If you are nearby, maybe we could get together. I haven't braved the Fl highways yet,
just the trail. Before we bought this place, we stayed in our camper at Silver Lake.

tannhauser
07-05-2012, 08:28 PM
Moved some spacers to under my stems a few months ago to gain a little bar height, then flipped the stems recently to gain the final 1". My bars are still at least 1 1/2-1 3/4" lower than saddle. And now more likely to use drops....so maybe riding position as good as before, or better. For sure....for my riding, more comfortable. The "flipped" stem look definitely gives me the "Fred" look. My son (Jonathan Greene... custom frame builder) said it didn't look too bad. And he likes his frames to look "right" when I ride them.

Jonathan is your son? You are a good man indeed.

Regardless if he says it looks right or not you are riding.

THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS.

AgilisMerlin
07-05-2012, 08:38 PM
those adjustments mentioned are not that drastic

good for you

enjoying the bicycle. nice :banana:

palincss
07-05-2012, 08:55 PM

I can assure you, we are most definitely not freezing up here in metro DC. It was 100 degrees today, and at 9:55 pm it's still 93.

tannhauser
07-05-2012, 08:58 PM
I will be 73 in a few weeks.
[/QUOTE]

Ok then, that explains a lot. Why didn't you tell me?

palincss
07-06-2012, 06:02 AM
My quoting went awry. It wasn't me who said they'd be 73 in a few weeks, but rather magoo, who I was quoting. I'll fix that.

I'll be 70 in a few days, however, and according to my maintenance records, I've ridden 5695 mi so far this year.

Ralph
07-06-2012, 06:39 AM
My quoting went awry. It wasn't me who said they'd be 73 in a few weeks, but rather magoo, who I was quoting. I'll fix that.

I'll be 70 in a few days, however, and according to my maintenance records, I've ridden 5695 mi so far this year.

That mileage is pretty terrific!

biker72
07-06-2012, 06:42 AM

Looks like I need to crank it up a notch or two. I've only got 3123 miles in so far....:)

jmeloy
07-06-2012, 08:22 AM
One of the things I've been asking myself as I slide toward 58 in September is how long I'll be able to continue riding into the future. You guys change my perspective a lot and I appreciate it.

J.Greene
07-06-2012, 10:50 AM
Jonathan is your son? You are a good man indeed.

Regardless if he says it looks right or not you are riding.

THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS.

Yes, I'll claim him. I never criticize my dad for position or anything related to the bike. Now if I could get the fool to stop climbing on the roof every few days to clean the gutters......

mnoble485
07-06-2012, 10:58 AM
Yes, I'll claim him. I never criticize my dad for position or anything related to the bike. Now if I could get the fool to stop climbing on the roof every few days to clean the gutters......

I have had the pleasure of riding next to one of Mr. Greene's bike and it can stand with the best. It was being ridden by your friend Ronnie.

Sounds like we have enough people in the mid Florida area to get a ride going.

Mike

tannhauser
07-06-2012, 11:24 AM

As a fabricator your job is to make a harness / tether thing for him.

I wonder what he has to say about your position...