PDA

View Full Version : Rear seat stay /suspended bikes

beungood
09-18-2005, 07:42 PM
I read the posts on the DKS and Terreplane and then wondered how would the Terreplane ,DKS and a Softride beam comapre in ride quality,downhills and climbing?

Fixed
09-18-2005, 08:07 PM
Bro have you ever seen anyone climb on a softride? or sprint? or bike race?I haven't.cheers :beer:

Brian Smith
09-18-2005, 08:53 PM
The DKS and Terraplane are meant to give up a little bit to weightlessness in order to get a little bit of cush - and all so as not to lose much rigidity against chain pull and pedalling forces. The Softride beam added a whole bunch of weight and a whole bunch of cushion. If you have to sit in the saddle for more than 5 hours every day, or every time you ride, then the beam is probably really worth looking into. Also if there is some constraint to your seeing the road such as a tandem captain directly in front of your face all day, the beam could be a fantastic solution. Beyond that, you don't see many bikes being built for the beam anymore. Ride as many bikes as you can, see what you like, but most have gone away from the beam these days.

cs124
09-18-2005, 09:23 PM
I know nothing about how a DKS or Terraplane rides but I can tell you from experience loads about how the beam bikes ride. PM if you want more info.

Birddog
09-18-2005, 09:35 PM
I can't speak for the others, but a Softride beam bike tracks like it is on rails. They are great descenders. I would expect your soon to arrive Kellog beam bike to be similar. They take a little getting used to (the bounce action), but once you do, you'll become a better cyclist. The beam forces you to smooth out your pedal stroke, if you don't you'll bounce like you're on a pogo stick.
They are also very good on your back. After riding a century, you can jump off the bike and walk around like homo erectus. I'd buy another one if the deal was right.

Birddog

beungood
09-18-2005, 10:03 PM
Ive never seen one on a climb,but, im usaually gritting my teeth and closing my eyes and whining on the way up... I like decending and cornering hard and like Kellog's work so Im looking forward to it....as far as racing I would use what Im on now until it breaks... :bike:

William
09-19-2005, 05:31 AM
There was a guy on a Softride (Not the TK custom beamer heading your way) who would show up and race crits every once and a while. You had to stay on the guy in the corners because he had a way of loading the beam that would make that puppy stick to the ground and he'd zip right through faster then most everyone else. Other then that he was right there with the rest of the pack so the beam didn't seem to be a detriment to him at all. He may not have won but hey, neither did the other 97% of the pack. ;)

Now, somone did need to talk to him about the color of that thing. Riding on a Watermellon colored bike is no way to go through life son. :no:

William