PDA

View Full Version : foot pain

George M
07-03-2012, 08:06 PM
I'm using Look Keo Classic pedals and I have the cleats all the way back and when I go on longer rides ( 50 + miles ) my outside 3 toes bother me. I was wondering if I went with the Max 2 pedal if it would help. Thanks for any replies

tch
07-03-2012, 08:42 PM
...that simply upgrading the same brand/engineering pedals will make a significant difference? The difference in width b/w the two is not huge. If I had your probelm, I'd start with some other things first. How about shoe fit? How about shoe sole rigidity? Shoe tightness? Cleat adjustment?

What does "bothers me" mean? Toes fall asleep? Feel cramped? You need to do some more diagnosis and experimentation first. I can hardly imagine that throwing money at essentially the same pedal is going to significantly affect things.

khjr
07-03-2012, 09:18 PM
I can tell you one thing for sure, based on my own personal agony - don't just tough it out. You might end up doing permanent damage to your feet, as I did. You're only born with one pair, so treat them right.

Recommend that you post some more info - shoes, orthotics, type of foot (flat, bunioned, etc.) type of pain (if possible) etc.

fogrider
07-03-2012, 11:41 PM
the outside of my foot would burn after about 30 miles. there was too much pressure on there and pressure was not distributed evenly. I got these wedges and and it fixed the problem. when I got new shoes, I tried it with the wedges and the burning was bad! put the wedges back on!

ultraman6970
07-04-2012, 12:35 AM
If the 3 toes hurt is because the feet maybe swollen. He needs bigger shoes IMO (or thinner insoles)

George M
07-04-2012, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the replies everybody. I have Specialized shoes now and I like that they have a vargus wedge built right into them. When I bought the shoes it was cold out and now that it's hot my feet are swelling . I guess I'll buy the same shoes, but a size bigger.

ultraman6970
07-04-2012, 08:34 AM
I have to use 1.5 bigger number because of a similar problem. The nice about spech shoes is the heel retention that is super good compared with other brands.

Some people goes to get shoes with the thicker pair of cotton socks they can get so the feet get some room.

Good luck with the problem, between feet, ass bones and balls sack pain to ride comfortable can make the sport a real PITA to enjoy. :D

khjr
07-04-2012, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the replies everybody. I have Specialized shoes now and I like that they have a vargus wedge built right into them. When I bought the shoes it was cold out and now that it's hot my feet are swelling . I guess I'll buy the same shoes, but a size bigger.

Before you buy, you might consider getting a pair of custom orthotics to support YOUR arch (vs. some stock arch). Then look for a shoe that will accomodate the orthotic. The specialized shoes that I've tried on appear to have a lot of volume to work with (a good thing, unless you have a narrow foot). The better ones also have good stiff soles, which helps to prevent localized deflection from the cleat. Based on my experience, I'd recommend investing in a good shoe/orthotic setup before throwing money at anything else (trick wheels, new frame, whatever...)