PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Pro Tour Equipment Choices

DRietz
07-03-2012, 03:48 PM
Lampre-ISD's new bikes are cool-looking Wiliers, but I noticed picture 15 when clicking through the gallery...

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/lampre-isd-unveils-wilier-triestina-cento-1-sr--34438/

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/news/2012/07/01/1341135809595-1hiq63k24ki5z-670-75.jpg

That would be a mechanical Super Record group and then a Chorus FD. I believe this is a case similar to SRAM-equipped riders of yesteryear using Force derailleurs, as I've found the carbon Campy front derailleurs to be a bit finicky on the downshift.

Anybody else know any quirky equipment choices thus far?

mvrider
07-03-2012, 04:36 PM
Velonews had an interesting tidbit on Cancellara's ride: a Domane with mechanical DA, instead of the new Madones with Di2:
http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/07/gallery/tour-pro-bike-cancellaras-trek-domane_227149

He simply likes the more comfortable ride

Fabian likes the lever feel of the mechanical group more, and had issues with mis-shifts with Di2, particularly on cobbles

roguedog
07-03-2012, 05:29 PM
Hey.. perfect timing. I also had a question from watching today's stage..

I saw one team (rider?) riding a Venge and then got passed by a rider on a different team riding a Tarmac. Are bike team choices, individual choices or something dictated by the sponsor? Like Team A will ride Tarmacs to show off the Tarmacs and the Team B will ride Venges to show off Venges, etc?

Sorry if this is thread drift..

DRietz
07-03-2012, 05:51 PM
I believe much of the choice comes down to the individual rider. For example, riders have been riding Veloflex tubulars for years re-labeled as a sponsor's tire. As long as a rider is on something high end from a frame manufacturer, I'm sure it doesn't matter.

pdmtong
07-03-2012, 05:59 PM
Hey.. perfect timing. I also had a question from watching today's stage..

I saw one team (rider?) riding a Venge and then got passed by a rider on a different team riding a Tarmac. Are bike team choices, individual choices or something dictated by the sponsor? Like Team A will ride Tarmacs to show off the Tarmacs and the Team B will ride Venges to show off Venges, etc?

Sorry if this is thread drift..

funny, i saw the same venge....nice close up of the inner stay, huh

I think it's up to the rider to pick the model they like from the sponsor...for instance not everyone will be on a roubaix, some may choose a tarmac...etc.

Mike V
07-03-2012, 06:31 PM
That would be a mechanical Super Record group and then a Chorus FD. I believe this is a case similar to SRAM-equipped riders of yesteryear using Force derailleurs, as I've found the carbon Campy front derailleurs to be a bit finicky on the downshift.

The SR carbon front mech breaks on the trailing edge. Less fuss for the mechanics.

ultraman6970
07-03-2012, 06:34 PM
If they have problems with weight, makes sense to put heavier stuff.

If the UCI doesnt change the rules many of the bikes will end up with steel components to meet the weights.

jlwdm
07-03-2012, 06:45 PM

If the UCI doesnt change the rules many of the bikes will end up with steel components to meet the weights.

+ 1

Jeff

MattTuck
07-03-2012, 11:41 PM

steel is the new carbon. :rolleyes:

it will soon be PRO to ride steel....

TMB
07-03-2012, 11:47 PM
Lampre-ISD's new bikes are cool-looking Wiliers, but I noticed picture 15 when clicking through the gallery...

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/lampre-isd-unveils-wilier-triestina-cento-1-sr--34438/

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/news/2012/07/01/1341135809595-1hiq63k24ki5z-670-75.jpg

That guy gets a pine needle stuck to his tire and he won't have clearance for the tire to go around.

OTB
07-04-2012, 06:59 AM
Velonews had an interesting tidbit on Cancellara's ride: a Domane with mechanical DA, instead of the new Madones with Di2:
http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/07/gallery/tour-pro-bike-cancellaras-trek-domane_227149

Sammy Sanchez was wishing he had cables instead of electronic yesterday...

oldpotatoe
07-04-2012, 07:51 AM

Think they use Record and the Chorus metal FD is much more reliable and cheaper than the Record or SR one. I am convinced that Record exists for sposorship primarily. Adding ti 'stuff' to race bikes doesn't do anything but add $ to sponsorship costs. NOT for the reasons that sram users used a steel cage FD rather than the way flexy ti one.

r_mutt
07-04-2012, 07:59 AM
that's a Chorus chain as well.

zandrrr
07-04-2012, 08:00 AM
Think they use Record and the Chorus metal FD is much more reliable and cheaper than the Record or SR one. I am convinced that Record exists for sposorship primarily. Adding ti 'stuff' to race bikes doesn't do anything but add $ to sponsorship costs. NOT for the reasons that sram users used a steel cage FD rather than the way flexy ti one.

Er... so the cheaper, more reliable, steel caged Chorus FD is used because weight isn't an issue, but the cheaper, more reliable, steel caged Force FD is used because Red is terrible? It has nothing to do with weight not being an issue? :confused:

oldpotatoe
07-04-2012, 08:03 AM
Er... so the cheaper, more reliable, steel caged Chorus FD is used because weight isn't an issue, but the cheaper, more reliable, steel caged Force FD is used because Red is terrible? It has nothing to do with weight not being an issue? :confused:

It has nothing to do with weight but the function of the FD with regards to the ti Red fder, which is well documented to be too flexy. WHY the new one is steel, why just before the new one, red FD were labeled Red and were steel.

Record and SR Fders work wonderfully, but on a pro bike, they(along with ti bolts in the parts), just isn't necessary.

zandrrr
07-04-2012, 08:09 AM
It has nothing to do with weight but the function of the FD with regards to the ti Red fder, which is well documented to be too flexy. WHY the new one is steel, why just before the new one, red FD were labeled Red and were steel.

Record and SR Fders work wonderfully, but on a pro bike, they(along with ti bolts in the parts), just isn't necessary.

I wouldn't argue that the ti-caged Red FD is great - obviously it's not. But it seems as though not needing to save more weight could also be a reason to go with Force.

I will grant you that Record and SR FDs are fantastic. I have no experience with them so I'll take your word for it. But to suggest that in one case (Campy) it's ENTIRELY about not spending extra money or saving weight, and in the other case (SRAM) it's ENTIRELY about the Red FD being crummy, and NOT any of those other reasons, just seems silly.

zap
07-04-2012, 08:19 AM
Sometimes the lower level fd's are stiffer. Certainly was the case a few years back with Shimano. Ultegra performed better than the lighter Dura Ace model.

oldpotatoe
07-04-2012, 08:24 AM
I wouldn't argue that the ti-caged Red FD is great - obviously it's not. But it seems as though not needing to save more weight could also be a reason to go with Force.

I will grant you that Record and SR FDs are fantastic. I have no experience with them so I'll take your word for it. But to suggest that in one case (Campy) it's ENTIRELY about not spending extra money or saving weight, and in the other case (SRAM) it's ENTIRELY about the Red FD being crummy, and NOT any of those other reasons, just seems silly.

Function dictated force fders, not weight. That was emphasized by the 'new' red FD being steel. sram and the teams that didn't switch to shimano(Garmin), both recognized that the red FD was a problem. The same thing happened early on with sram when a lot of teams used shimano chains and cogsets with sram equipped bikes.

Silly? Most if not all of the Campagnolo pro bikes are Record, not SuperRecord.

I'd say it's about function and cost, not weight.

I'd also say that if you are happy with your sram stuff, well great.

Fixed
07-04-2012, 08:36 AM
SRAM I thought they make mountain bike stuff when did they start making road bike stuff ?
I have been out for a while
Cheers :bike:

zandrrr
07-04-2012, 08:51 AM
Silly? Most if not all of the Campagnolo pro bikes are Record, not SuperRecord.

I'd say it's about function and cost, not weight.

I am not arguing with either of these points. I am simply suggesting that for the SRAM-equipped teams, whose bikes are already at the UCI minimum weight limit, not needing to save weight and saving a bit of money (if the FDs are not free - I'm not sure how that works) are probably ALSO reasons, along with the ti Red FD being terrible.

As I read your argument, and I could be misunderstanding you, you are suggesting that the SRAM-equipped teams are making this decision:

"Well, the ti Red FD is terrible so we have to go with Force. Otherwise we'd totally spend more money, even though our bikes are at the UCI minimum weight, for no appreciable gain!"

Whereas I think it is more like:

"Well, the ti Red FD is terrible, but our bikes are at 6.8kg anyway so there's no reason to spend extra money to save weight. We'll stick with Force."

In other words, if the ti Red FD shifted exactly as well as the Force, I think many teams would still use the Force anyway, simply because there is no reason to spend more money to save weight when the bikes are at the minimum.

After re-reading that my head hurts. Hopefully someone can follow it. :)

jlwdm
07-04-2012, 09:33 AM
Sure it is not just weight, but the teams use certain components to get the weight up. Using power meters helps on weight, but small frames and modern light components don't work well with the minimum bike weight.

Jeff

false_Aest
07-04-2012, 10:05 AM

brah, gram counting is so Q3 2011. Its all about slippery road bikes now.

I predict that the blue gram-o-meters we saw in all the Interbike pictures from yester-year will be replaced by mini wind tunnels made from modified breathalizers handed out as swag from the guys at Brew Bikes.

apeescape
07-04-2012, 01:47 PM
They use the chorus for weight and durability reasons. The seat tube can flex and cause the carbon cage to get chewed up

palincss
07-04-2012, 02:05 PM

Does this mean you think they are necessary on bikes for amateurs, or that they are unnecessary for all?

Ralph
07-04-2012, 03:03 PM
I figure, at that level, they use what works best. Like Richard Petty once said......"First thing is you gotta finish, before you can finish first."