PDA

View Full Version : Fizik R1 vs R3?

67-59
07-03-2012, 12:57 PM
Has anyone here ridden in both models, or at least tried them on? I've found a couple of reviews online of one shoe or the other, but not a direct comparison of fit/comfort.

I don't mind paying the extra $100 for the R1 if the consensus is that it's worth it for the kangaroo leather and moldable insole, or if there's some other comfort or performance factor advantage...but if the general consensus is that I'd only be paying for the bling factor, I'd probably go with the R3.

The one real concern I have from the Peloton review of the R3 is that the upper isn't very well ventilated, and may get too hot on long, hot rides. Has anyone had this issue...and perhaps a comparison with the R1? Is kangaroo leather likely to be more ventilated, or less?

I know shoe fit and comfort is variable from person to person, but unfortunately, I don't live near any shops that carry them, so I'd be going based on reviews and pics. I just like Fizik's products and the look of the shoes, and figured it's worth a shot.

FlashUNC
07-03-2012, 02:34 PM
I've ridden the R3's through our recent Southern heat wave. No worse than my S-Works shoes.

You can pull the padding out of the tongue -- I have -- and that helps with ventilation a ton.

67-59
07-03-2012, 03:51 PM
I've ridden the R3's through our recent Southern heat wave. No worse than my S-Works shoes.

You can pull the padding out of the tongue -- I have -- and that helps with ventilation a ton.

Thanks. Overall, how do the R3s compare to the S-Works?

nooneline
07-03-2012, 03:54 PM
If you're already spending that much money on a shoe, might as well get the R1. The kangaroo leather is super comfortable and the heat-moldable insole is like a $90 retail value. Makes sense to me.

FlashUNC
07-03-2012, 04:13 PM
R3 has a much more aggressive arch support molded into the sole.

It's super comfortable on the bike, I've found, but not all that comfortable for walking around the coffee shop.

They're nice enough that I just sold my S-Works shoes.

bobswire
07-03-2012, 05:12 PM
BTW the R3 are still on sale at 169.98 for the next day or two.

rphetteplace
07-03-2012, 06:25 PM
where for 169.98???

bobswire
07-03-2012, 08:34 PM
where for 169.98???

Sent U a PM with link.