PDA

View Full Version : Andy griffith rip

alancw3
07-03-2012, 12:44 PM
loved watching andy of mayberry. i would think that ron howard will be making a statement soon. opie!

Keith A
07-03-2012, 12:47 PM
Ditto for me. Several years ago we bought the entire DVD series...life seemed so simple back then.

R2D2
07-03-2012, 12:49 PM
I wish the world was Mayberry. Maybe it was a little simple but seemed a good place. Hell, they even let Malcom ride his bike w/o throwing bottles or insults at him.
I still love the re-runs. Especially when Otis got a car and Barney was trying to show him how to drive. Or anything wiht Ernest T Bass.
And No Time For Sergeants is a great comedy.

gdw
07-03-2012, 12:59 PM
He's best known for his TV work but his portrayal of "Lonesome Rhodes" in "A Face in the Crowd" is amazing and shows just how talented he was. RIP

67-59
07-03-2012, 12:59 PM
Yeah, but weren't the interwebs really slow back then?:eek:

fiamme red
07-03-2012, 01:04 PM
Those who know him as Andy Taylor or Ben Matlock should see him as Lonesome Rhodes in "A Face in the Crowd." It's a movie that's still relevant as social and political commentary, and Griffith's performance is extraordinary.

Wilkinson4
07-03-2012, 01:17 PM
Those who know him as Andy Taylor or Ben Matlock should see him as Lonesome Rhodes in "A Face in the Crowd." It's a movie that's still relevant as social and political commentary, and Griffith's performance is extraordinary.

Agreed! And Sherrif Andy Taylor and his words of wisdom will be missed....

mIKE

laupsi
07-03-2012, 01:22 PM
have to say of all the recent high profile deaths this one hits hard. a gone by era of television at its most basic and simple forms of entertainment and of a person who helped make it all happen. RIP Mr. Griffith!

Keith A
07-03-2012, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the tip on the movie...just added to my Netflix queue.

Rudy
07-03-2012, 02:20 PM
He's best known for his TV work but his portrayal of "Lonesome Rhodes" in "A Face in the Crowd" is amazing and shows just how talented he was. RIP

Face in the Crowd is superlative and relatively unknown to even some moderately serious buffs.

Would be a great double feature with Elmer Gantry.

ultraman6970
07-03-2012, 02:29 PM
Remember that he was one of the guys i wouldnt invite for dinner ever at my place because where ever he was, somebody died and then the big problem to find out the killer.

Same situation with Angela Lansbury, if you apretiate people you never had to invite her to your place or anywhere near to you because all the time somebody was going to die around her.

torquer
07-03-2012, 03:00 PM
"Face in the Crowd" also showcased his musical talents.
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTuZdM6Dx0c-nOyVtT697ySiyqYV-vhSfN2bEbTK8sxu3vA84wX2w
Early in his career, he had some rockabilly hits, too. Harder to find than the later, gospel-heavy albums, but worth a listen.

pedlpwrd
07-03-2012, 03:12 PM
In my career as an adult caregiver, I have found I have watched ALOT of Matlock. Although the show overall hasn't done 'it" for me, the actor was a great. Sad to see him go. They all do eventually, but some effect us more than others. I can't imagine anyone NOT having watched Aunt Bea put a pie out during their childhood. Truely, the end of an era.

Hawker
07-03-2012, 03:21 PM
He will be missed. A talented guy who was willing to become the straight man to Don Knotts for the good of the TV series. How many TV series have run non-stop since the '60s! And it still holds up. Also nice to know that Andy remained friends with all of his co-stars through the decades. A decent guy.

Andy...thanks for the memories and laughs.

Fixed
07-03-2012, 03:29 PM
Sitting in a rocking chair on the porch with guitar at hand his family near.

Thanks for the memory :)

bironi
07-03-2012, 05:07 PM
Tell me after watching A Face in the Crowd if you don't think the title character could be revived with Sarah Palin in the part. It is a great flick.

Tony T
07-03-2012, 06:45 PM
i would think that ron howard will be making a statement soon. opie!

WSJ:

After news emerged of Andy Griffith’s passing today, actor-director Ron Howard talked with Speakeasy about his lifelong friendship with the actor, which began with his role as Opie, Griffith’s son on “The Andy Griffith Show.”

“He had a lot of respect for the audience and he didn’t expect to be given that respect in return,” Howard said in a phone interview. “He wanted to earn it every week. I think that work ethic is something that I’ll always carry with me, that and just a sense of joy at having an opportunity to work creatively.”

Howard said he remembers as a kid being part of discussions with the cast and crew of “The Andy Griffith Show” every week, starting with the first readings of the script, where everyone, including him, was encouraged to raise any questions. “As a kid I could witness the discussion and just see the minute details of elevating the story from the page to what was going to be the final episode,” Howard said. The actor-turned-director now tries to emulate that environment on set as much as possible.

On “The Andy Griffith Show,” Howard played Griffith’s son, and he was just five years old when he got the role. It was an opportunity that came about serendipitously: Howard was on an episode of “General Electric Theater” with Bert Lahr called “Barnaby and Mr. O’Malley” that was initially supposed to be a television series.

“It didn’t sell as a show but it stirred a lot of attention because the then host of the show was Ronald Reagan,” he said. Reagan improvised the ending and gave a “special thank you to little Ronny Howard,” which caught the attention of “The Andy Griffith Show” producers, who were searching for an actor to play Griffith’s son.

“I only met him on rehearsal of the first episode, and my impression immediately was that he was an easy, fun guy,” Howard said. “There was a relaxed quality about him. A spirit.”

Working with Griffith taught Howard how to lead, and Griffith wasn’t the type to lecture, even to kids. The actor’s work ethic and sense of joy while on set continue to influence Howard today. “It’s what I grew up with, so I carried that with me through ‘Happy Days,’ from in front of the camera to the director’s chair,” he said.

The last time he saw Griffith in person was at the memorial for actor Don Knotts, who was also on “The Andy Griffith Show.” But Howard would speak to Griffith several times a year. Howard’s father, Rance, spoke to Griffith about six weeks ago, and said he was in good spirits and hoping to find a new acting role. “While his health was not so great these last years, mentally, emotionally, creatively, he was full of life,” Howard said.

He added that the enduring legacy of “The Andy Griffith Show” is “a tremendous testament to Andy’s aesthetic and his vision, because it really did influence and shape the show in a very unique way. It’s never really been replicated.”

http://s.wsj.net/public/resources/images/OB-TP793_ronhow_E_20120703150506.jpg http://s.wsj.net/public/resources/images/OB-TP821_ron2_DV_20120703165207.jpg

Keith A
07-03-2012, 07:12 PM
Thanks for posting the WSJ article.

alancw3
07-04-2012, 04:12 AM
thanks for posting the wsj article.

+1