PDA

View Full Version : what do you guys think about this cheap stem?

yoshirider
07-03-2012, 12:35 PM
i got a bike fit recently and was told that a 80mm stem would fit me better so i found this stem: http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1121168_-1___400207

its cheap and lightweight. the other stem i found that i liked was the ritchey c260 stem but that one costs 3 times as much as this one. what do you guys think about this forte stem?

AngryScientist
07-03-2012, 12:40 PM
for a few bucks more, i'd buy this one. 3t stuff is solid.

http://www.treefortbikes.com/home#navbar=pro___333222368686___125

yoshirider
07-03-2012, 12:42 PM
yeah i know 3T is awesome, but i'm turning into a weight weenie. must...have... super...lightweight stem!

Marcusaurelius
07-03-2012, 12:44 PM
For a few dollars more you could get a ritchey stem (I've never had a problem with a richey or 3t stem).

AngryScientist
07-03-2012, 12:50 PM
yeah i know 3T is awesome, but i'm turning into a weight weenie. must...have... super...lightweight stem!

in that case,

consider selling your current bike, and get one that fit's correctly. clearly your frame is too big if you need an 80mm stem. the weight savings from going down one full frame size is going to be more than any you'll get out of a stem swap!!:banana:

azrider
07-03-2012, 12:53 PM
in that case,

consider selling your current bike, and get one that fit's correctly

this is pretty awesome advice.

that made my day.

Joe Remi
07-03-2012, 12:53 PM
It's cheaper because it's a house brand made in China. I doubt there's much quality difference between it and the other name-brands mentioned, which may be made in China, too. Considering that you seem to be going through a "which length works for me?" process, I say go for the Forte. You can always get a high-zoot stem later once you've decided on a length.

yoshirider
07-03-2012, 01:02 PM
i run a 90mm stem right now with a EC70 CNT Composite handlebar. i wish i could remember why she recommended a 80mm stem :(.

@Joe Remi yeah i was just thinking the same thing. i'd like to try this length out before i stick with it

keevon
07-03-2012, 01:31 PM
Threadless stem design was figured out a long time ago.

Other than pretty graphics and a few grams, there isn't much to differentiate 95% of the stems out there.

The Forte is fine.

PaMtbRider
07-03-2012, 01:51 PM
in that case,

consider selling your current bike, and get one that fit's correctly. clearly your frame is too big if you need an 80mm stem.

Maybe, maybe not. My wife has a custom Spectrum Ti, and a Spectrum steel coupled bike, both designed by Tom Kellogg. He designed the bikes with longer top tube, shorter stem. I never asked but I assume it was designed that way to avoid / eliminate wheel overlap. Nevertheless, she is thrilled with the bikes and how they handle.

ultraman6970
07-03-2012, 02:18 PM
Yoshi, you have a big advantage when picking stuff, I bet you are so light that doesnt matter what you get it will work just as intended. IMO for you will work just fine... for a 250 pounds sprinter probably it wont.

ngilbert
07-03-2012, 02:54 PM
in that case,

consider selling your current bike, and get one that fit's correctly. clearly your frame is too big if you need an 80mm stem. the weight savings from going down one full frame size is going to be more than any you'll get out of a stem swap!!:banana:

That's exactly how I got my Serotta...

yoshirider
07-03-2012, 03:13 PM
thanks for all the input!

i ended up ordering the forte stem at performance. $29 including tax at the store (10% off lunch and save deal on tuesdays noon-2pm) what a steal!

Chance
07-03-2012, 03:43 PM
in that case,

As others have questioned, how do you know the bike doesn't fit correctly just because of an 8 CM stem? It's outside the scope of this thread and may deserve a dedicated thread, but no one to the best of my knowledge has ever articulated how to calculate the correct stem length. There are lots of theories but none that stand alone without taking many other factors into consideration.:confused:

yoshirider
07-03-2012, 04:52 PM
the bike feels fine to me even with the 90mm stem. as i said earlier, i'm just using this as an excuse to shed some weight. i still cant get over the fact that my boyfriend's bike is lighter ;(

Ti Designs
07-03-2012, 10:30 PM
yeah i know 3T is awesome, but i'm turning into a weight weenie.

Nothing good can come of this.

merlincustom1
07-04-2012, 05:01 AM
its cheap and lightweight.

There's an old saying: "light, cheap, strong, pick any two."

soulspinner
07-04-2012, 05:08 AM
the bike feels fine to me even with the 90mm stem. as i said earlier, i'm just using this as an excuse to shed some weight. i still cant get over the fact that my boyfriend's bike is lighter ;(

Ride more than he does and you will drop him on his light bike.......:banana:

crownjewelwl
07-04-2012, 06:21 AM
There's an old saying: "light, cheap, strong, pick any two."

Fine...strong and light!!!

charliedid
07-04-2012, 06:26 AM
Hey Yoshi

If you are looking to lose weight from the bike, the stem is certainly no place to start.

That said, it's your bike so have fun and be safe.

oldpotatoe
07-04-2012, 08:33 AM

From one of Eddy Merckx's team mates-"Eddy can win on my bike, I can't win on his'.

Tony T
07-04-2012, 08:49 AM
consider selling your current bike, and get one that fit's correctly. clearly your frame is too big if you need an 80mm stem.

I have a custom frame with a 90mm. I also had discussions with a different frame builder and on the subject of stem length, he said they try to stay under 100mm on their builds.

What stem length do you think is correct on a custom frame?

Fixed
07-04-2012, 08:52 AM
:banana::banana::banana::banana:[QUOTE=yoshirider;1165475]i run a 90mm stem right now with a EC70 CNT Composite handlebar. i wish i could remember why she recommended a 80mm

Hmm
read the stem thread :banana::)
Cheers
Fixed it
Like a.s. said below

AngryScientist
07-04-2012, 10:19 AM
I have a custom frame with a 90mm. I also had discussions with a different frame builder and on the subject of stem length, he said they try to stay under 100mm on their builds.

What stem length do you think is correct on a custom frame?

everyone jumped on me for the "frame too big comment". apparently you all missed my :banana: in the post, indicating that i was joking. the OP said they were trying to save weight, as a joke, i mentioned, just get a smaller frame.

anyone who actually knows me, knows i also ride very small frames with short stems, and think they handle just fine. yes, i'm short too:)

i think some of the folks on this forum are just here for the sake of argument, lighten up a little, and for future reference, when one of my posts ends with a dancing banana, that indicates that i was a light spirited post, a joke, if you will.

:banana:

Tony T
07-04-2012, 08:20 PM
I wasn't trying to argue, I was really being sincere in my question and didn't know you ride short stems also.