PDA

View Full Version : Most Expensive Bicycles

Wilkinson4
07-02-2012, 11:41 PM
Was checking out the Austin Martin one-77 bike then stumbled on this:

http://www.bornrich.com/entry/world-s-most-expensive-bicycles-for-eco-luxurious-ride/

Somebody has one of these, right?

mIKE

A1CKot
07-03-2012, 12:02 AM
Hmm. I thought the current offerings from Serotta would have made that list. The Meivici starts at just over 10gs for a complete bike.

I can think of a couple other less gimmicky bikes that deserve to be recognized for the high level of craftsmanship and sheer awesomeness.

benitosan1972
07-03-2012, 12:11 AM
I'll bet that people who compiled that list are not cyclists

Fixed
07-03-2012, 06:01 AM
Give Dario ten grand and come out hipper and better
IMHO
Cheers

BumbleBeeDave
07-03-2012, 06:06 AM
. . . that even resembles costing as much as it does because of technological innovation or achievement to actually make a better machine is the Beru.

There's never any shortage of people with deep pockets who will spend megasums on antiques or, in this case, shiny baubles that have had some allegedly artistically superior designer apply their allegedly genius-level ability to some item. Or similarly well-off egos who will bid huge dollars in charity auctions for these toys rather than just quietly donating to the same cause.

The same formula applies to any shiny overpriced item. The items in this case just happen to have two wheels. Especially in this case with the top three it's not about the bike at all.

(Any disdain dripping from this post is entirely intentional.) :rolleyes:

BBD

fuzzalow
07-03-2012, 06:34 AM
That list is an interesting pastiche of conspicuous consumption. The art world contrivances using the bike as a medium sully the functional simplicity and elegance of the device.

charliedid
07-03-2012, 06:36 AM
Those are not bicycles, they are jewelry...

Jason E
07-03-2012, 06:58 AM
That list is stupid until #12 (and even then)

If you do a build kit with Record 11 and enve wheels on Colorado cyclist with some nice respectable bits, that is 6-7k. Add in an Ottrott or a Sachs or something and you have a legit bike for $11-$15k that you would and could ride the crap out of.

A one off auctioned custom painted madone is not something you can go buy.

Liv2RideHard
07-03-2012, 07:50 AM
List does nothing for me at all. I am with benitosan, they probably are not cyclists, just need something else to impress people with. They are not even aesthetically pleasing to look at, for me anyway.

I agree with Fixed, my money would go to someone like Dario. You know his heart and soul goes into every piece of art he makes. I would much rather have something built by one of our builders here or across the hall. Hands down. Go across the hall and peruse Smoked Out...much more impressive IMO. The creative passion is just awesome.

laupsi
07-03-2012, 08:03 AM
now then, I don't feel any buyer's remorse having spent thousands on my select rides. at least I know my bicycles ride fantastic and have none of the "added value" priced into them as do the one's pictured in the article.

Rada
07-03-2012, 08:09 AM
Can honestly say I would not own any of those, but I have simple taste.

Wilkinson4
07-03-2012, 08:32 AM
now then, I don't feel any buyer's remorse having spent thousands on my select rides.

Exactly my thoughts! Interesting to look at, but wow... I have a buddy who is the main mechanic at a botique sort of shop who just put together a 22K Colnago c59 for a customer. Holy downtube shifters.

mIKE

Bob Ross
07-03-2012, 08:40 AM
A one off auctioned custom painted madone is not something you would go buy.

ftfy

ngilbert
07-03-2012, 08:53 AM
I'll bet that people who compiled that list are not cyclists

Truth. Those bikes are completely unrealistic. Let's have a top ten list of bikes that cyclists actually want to, and would, ride.

laupsi
07-03-2012, 09:02 AM
Exactly my thoughts! Interesting to look at, but wow... I have a buddy who is the main mechanic at a botique sort of shop who just put together a 22K Colnago c59 for a customer. Holy downtube shifters.

mIKE

does Colnago even offer a lifetime warranty on their frames? last time I checked they didn't. that's a lot of cash for an "off the shelf" piece of carbon that won't be replaced in the event of failure, regardless of reason.

lovethesport
07-03-2012, 09:52 AM
The value of the Trek- Livestrong bikes at least served a purpose... good luck trying to resell them!

Wilkinson4
07-03-2012, 10:23 AM
does Colnago even offer a lifetime warranty on their frames? last time I checked they didn't. that's a lot of cash for an "off the shelf" piece of carbon that won't be replaced in the event of failure, regardless of reason.

No ****. I dunno but even he was puzzled. Campy EPS, Lightweight carbon hoops, etc... But, ride what you want to ride and what you can afford to ride!

mIKE

ps. Top Ten Realistic Bikes you want to own. Someone start a new thread!

John Price
07-03-2012, 11:56 AM
First of all - Aston Martin not Austin - That'd be Austin Healey. BIG difference there Mike.

But yeah, that list of most expensive bikes - hey I can use that to show the Missus that I'm really not spending much at all on this hobby/passion.

John

Wilkinson4
07-03-2012, 06:32 PM
First of all - Aston Martin not Austin - That'd be Austin Healey. BIG difference there Mike.

What, they're both british:D Your next bike here John!

http://www.factorbikes.com/astonmartin/video.html

mIKE

poff
07-03-2012, 08:15 PM
Delta 7 is actually a great ride.

nicrump
07-04-2012, 01:09 PM
what something sells for at a charity event is different than the true value of said something.

pertaining to some of those sticker clad bikes.

Grant McLean
07-04-2012, 05:21 PM
what something sells for at a charity event is different than the true value of said something.

pertaining to some of those sticker clad bikes.

whereas the true value of a handmade, custom, made to measure, carbon Crumpton is priceless :)

-g

nicrump
07-05-2012, 08:35 AM
whereas the true value of a handmade, custom, made to measure, carbon Crumpton is priceless :)

-g

well at least no one ever paid $500k for one... as far as i can tell. ;-)