PDA

View Full Version : Rolling through the lavender

velotel
07-02-2012, 04:30 PM
The mother-in-law is over 80, crazy gardener with tons of flowers and veges. This is a woman who can stroll into a field and twenty minutes later come back with the makings for an extravagant salad, all wild. Years ago we started taking her south to the lavender fields on the Valensole plateau where the TdF passes from time to time. The pro photogs salivate over the idea of shooting the peloton riding through those fields. Understandably. A true spectacle. We didn’t go last year. No particular reason. Didn’t require a mind probe to see she was ready for a return. In her mind maybe one last trip. She’s been thinking things like that for awhile now.

Okay with me, another ride through the lavender fields, I like that. Filling my nose with lavender perfume. Question was how to satisfy the flower visiting needs and my riding needs. Not necessarily compatible objectives.

Fortunately I was born with a talent for finding places, and re-finding places years and years later after but one visit. I take no credit for that. Taking credit for something one is born with is like people assuming they’re smart because they inherited a fortune. On the other hand I must admit I’ve never missed an opportunity to polish up the old talent.

Like this small road in south France over some hills non-descript enough that at least as far as maps are concerned seem to have no particular name. Found it years and years ago whilst searching for lavender. Only there aren’t any fields of lavender along this road, just patches of lavender. Big patches but compared to the lavender on the Valensole plateau, just stains of blue on ragged hills. Not the same lavender either. The Valensole plateau is industrial grade lavender, waves of color that captivate the eyes of any driving through. The lavender along the little road in the round, worn hills is mountain lavender, more rugged, slower growing, happy in lean soils. Kind of like the difference between single malt scotch from some tiny, unknown family taking the days as they come and the industrial grade scotch from producers with one eye on the calendar, one on the revenue sheets, and both feet on the production throttle.

That road instantly leapt to mind. Stop down in the valley along the river, get the bike out, change clothes, ride off while my wife drives on looking for a picnic site. Just had to find it first. No problem, there it was, hadn’t moved. With a major surprise, asphalt laid down only days or maybe a week earlier. The road was buffed! We’re talking a road that’s maybe a lane and a half wide, max, a back road, a road of no account, a road only the locals know exists, and there it was buffed to perfection! Too sweet.

That was the first surprise. The second popped up after I turned onto the even narrower road that crosses the hills. Arrived at a kilometer marker, a new one, all shiny plastic with the name of the col, how many K away it was, and the average percent grade for the following K! Plus the pavement was all but perfect. Maybe only a year since it was laid down. Beautiful climb. I doubt if you’ll ever read about it again but if you’re ever in the region with a bike, especially in early July, keep the name in mind, Col de l’Espinouse.
I’m heading up, somewhere in the K that averages 8,5%, only this is one roller coaster K so the average might only be 8,5% but the ramps along the way are way past 8,5%. I’m in my climbing gear, out of the saddle, riding well, all of a sudden I’m in a cloud of perfume. Look left into a deep purplish blue erupting out of green shoots. Stop, shoot, back on, roll off. Then another patch of lavender. Nothing extravagant, just rich. Gorgeous riding too.

Got to the last K post and had to stop for a picture. I mean I’ve seen a lot of posts with percentages but never one with 1%. Even better, I’m in my 34/23 and have no inclination at all to move to a smaller cog. Only one way they arrive at 1%, the road goes limp, and I mean totally limp. Actually it’s even better than that, a downhill to the col! My wife meets me there in the car. She left her mother up on top of the hill to the right. A track of shattered asphalt, gravel, and dirt the only way up. Mountain biking on skinny tires. Perfect. Good climb, great place, picnic laid out.

Then down, back to the col, less dicey than I feared, then down the back side, pavement a bit worn but still good and no pot holes and lots of bobbing and weaving and hard braking for tight turns followed by nice gravity accelerations. The best were the dips for dry washes, nothing abrupt, just a nice smooth wave. No traffic, just as well, the road barely more than one lane. Down to the village of Bras-d’Asse, across the valley to la Bégude Blanche and the climb up to the Valensole plateau.

A good climb, nothing special, bit of traffic, everyone heading to the lavender. Hit the top and there it is, a sea of lavender stretching into the distance. If you ever can, you really need to ride through here when the lavender’s in full bloom. Not for the riding, for the sensation. Nothing like it. If you don’t have a camera with you, you’ll be bummed.

All in all, a fine ride, nothing of great significance, just a very good outing. One I could do again tomorrow.

A few shots to spice up your dreams.

Fixed
07-02-2012, 05:19 PM
Ride on bro
Cheers
Thanks for the glimpse :)

Ken Robb
07-02-2012, 05:27 PM
I think it's nice that the signs inform a person what grade to expect on the climbs.

rwsaunders
07-02-2012, 07:17 PM
Velotel....you need to wear a beret when you ride with an easel strapped to your back...:cool:

choke
07-02-2012, 07:35 PM
It's nice to see that at least one of us (well, two counting Maxn) have found paradise.

jr59
07-02-2012, 07:55 PM
velotel....you need to wear a beret when you ride with an easel strapped to your back...:cool:

+1

BumbleBeeDave
07-02-2012, 08:15 PM
. . . as always!

Looking forward to that beer! 9 days! :banana:

BBD

Karin Kirk
07-02-2012, 11:17 PM
A wonderful tale as always, Velotel!
What a sight to see those endless rows of flowers. I can smell the lavender from here. (or perhaps it's our own patch which is about at peak right now too:))
Looks like a great day for all, nice work on sniffing out that road.

maxn
07-03-2012, 04:11 AM
excellent! that's not Ventoux in some of those shots is it?

soulspinner
07-03-2012, 04:44 AM
So cool how cycling is woven into this life you have. I raise my glass with well wishes:hello: In fact, its before 6 AM here in upstate NY and Im heading out for a ride, thanks for the inspiration..............

Rada
07-03-2012, 08:01 AM
Stunning countryside!

velotel
07-03-2012, 08:08 AM
excellent! that's not Ventoux in some of those shots is it?
No, Ventoux is pretty far away to the west and not visible. If you're referring to the mountains in the background with the lavender, that's the plateau that the Gorge du Verdon slices through. Maybe you've gone rock climbing there. Some fine riding around the gorge. In the earlier pictures the mountains, or rather just big hills, in the background are off to the north or east, depending on the picture. It was raining very lightly at times with the clouds low so it was hard to see anything all that clearly. The return over the Col de la Croix-Haute was into the fog all the way until almost Vif! Happily not a thick fog so traffic rolled pretty good.

velotel
07-03-2012, 08:09 AM
So cool how cycling is woven into this life you have. I raise my glass with well wishes:hello: In fact, its before 6 AM here in upstate NY and Im heading out for a ride, thanks for the inspiration..............
I liike that, raising a glass before 6 in the morning! Thanks

velotel
07-03-2012, 08:11 AM
Velotel....you need to wear a beret when you ride with an easel strapped to your back...:cool:
The easel I've got, my camera in the fanny pack. What would I do with my glasses with a beret sitting on my head?

zap
07-03-2012, 08:53 AM
Great photo's.

We rode on the D4 to D15 and D6 (which intersects D8 in Valensole) on one of our rides this past April during Too Talls/Tom Kellogg spring camp.

The plateau is indeed spectacular and the roads in great condition.

lovethesport
07-03-2012, 09:02 AM
Elegant!

cycle_chic
07-03-2012, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the post. I just made a lavender pillow here in Tuscany. Smells so delightful.

572cv
07-03-2012, 03:36 PM
again!
This is an area my cycling crew is interested in for an early Oct trip. Its great to see the pictures, read the account, and contemplate the possibilities. I had hoped to convince folks to go to the Chartreuse, but alas, not this year, it would seem.

thinpin
07-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Lovely post as usual velotel. Its such a gloriously diverse cycling country.