PDA

View Full Version : pick your fork

Climb01742
02-22-2004, 05:00 PM
lately much has been written about forks, particularly folks wishing for more steel forks. which got me wondering: given a choice, which would you prefer:

steel or carbon fork?

threaded or threadless?

to kick off the voting, make mine the infidel's choice: threadless carbon. :hello:

Bill Bove
02-22-2004, 05:50 PM
I've run an IF straight blade steel, an Alpha Q and an Ouzo Pro on my Legend. Ouzo Pro.

Sandy
02-22-2004, 06:01 PM
Serotta F1 threaded carbon fork. The best of all!

Dr. Doofus
02-22-2004, 06:15 PM
Training bike bought with own bucks:

threaded steel.

Race bike on somebody else's dime, no concern about looks or long-term reliability:

F2 or Vola (depends on the bike)

Bill Bove
02-22-2004, 06:56 PM
Colorado Al with OEM Kinesis aluminum fork, replaced it with a threaded F1, now it has an all carbon Ouzo Pro.

Ouzo Pro.

JohnS
02-22-2004, 07:16 PM
Threaded carbon.

MGS9500
02-22-2004, 07:42 PM
I would never go back to a steel fork. I've used carbon forks without a problem for years and firmly believe the ride quality is improved.

I've used the Kestrel and Ouzo forks and find the Ouzo a little stiffer and perhaps more stable at high speed.

With respect to threadless versus threaded, I have grown to like the threadless variety. Granted you are commited to a given height when the fork is cut, but one can always change the stem angle or flip the stem.

The variety of stems, angles, lengths, along with the ease of removal of the handlebars by taking off the faceplate makes this my preference.

slowgoing
02-22-2004, 07:54 PM
A Columbus chome fork on an old Bianchi made my hands so numb I almost stopped riding. Only after I switched to a Kestrel carbon fork did I really appreciate riding again. That little experience lives with me to this day, and I'll never go back to steel forks. Carbon, preferably threadless.

Bill Bove
02-22-2004, 08:53 PM
Enlightenment!!!

I just had a BIG piece of Boston cream pie, I used a plastic fork on it. I have discovered the ultimate fork... THE DESSERT FORK!!!
Roll over in your cold grave evil Dr. Atkinson.

e-RICHIE
02-22-2004, 08:56 PM
Bill wrote:
"Roll over in your cold grave evil Dr. Atkinson."

that's precious!
<g>
e-RICHIE

ps

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Matt Barkley