PDA

View Full Version : Old school XT cantis vs v-brakes for cross

Erik_A
07-01-2012, 04:24 PM
I am thinking about switching to some 1995 old school Shimano BR-M737, Deore XT cantilevers and ditching my Tektro v-brakes (with Problem Solver Travel Agents) for my new cross build. When the V-brakes get wet, they are fairly useless - I can ride the bakes fully depressed and not completely stop - just slow down a bit.

Will these cantis provide better wet condition stopping power with Campy STI levers? Also, what brake pads do you recommend (or with the stock black Shimano XT MTB pads be fine) for use on aluminum rims?

Ken Robb
07-01-2012, 04:59 PM
I have 2 bikes with OLD XT cantis (1989) and they work fine but your problem may be your pads because my v-brakes also work fine. When you attempt maximum braking does your lever feel firm or can you pull it all the way to the bar?

GRAVELBIKE
07-01-2012, 05:22 PM
If the v-brakes work well in dry conditions, but not when it's wet, then it's the pads. Get something like Kool-Stop or Yokozuna salmon pads, and you'll experience improved wet and dry braking.

With the cantilevers, does it feel like you keep pulling harder, but stopping power doesn't increase? In other words, the brakes feel "hard" when the pads engage, but there's no stopping power? If that's the case, shorten the straddle cable so that it's lower (closer to the tire).

Erik_A
07-03-2012, 12:09 PM
I have 2 bikes with OLD XT cantis (1989) and they work fine but your problem may be your pads because my v-brakes also work fine. When you attempt maximum braking does your lever feel firm or can you pull it all the way to the bar?

I can pull it most of the way to the bar. I will try new pads on the V-brakes to check.

Erik_A
07-03-2012, 12:13 PM
GRAVELBIKE-

Thanks for the tip of the canti cable length adjustment.

I have a drop bar Monstercross with v-brakes and Campt ergo levers; I am in the process of building a cross bike with the XT canti-s. I will check and see which has the best stopping power with the solid salmon Kool-Stop pads on both.

Usually after the 1st stream crossing or mud puddle the v-brakes become worthless. This occurs both with the stock Tektro pads and now with new Shimano XT- v-brake pads installed. Will try tightening up more on the cable and trying the salmon Kool-stops.

If the v-brakes work well in dry conditions, but not when it's wet, then it's the pads. Get something like Kool-Stop or Yokozuna salmon pads, and you'll experience improved wet and dry braking.

With the cantilevers, does it feel like you keep pulling harder, but stopping power doesn't increase? In other words, the brakes feel "hard" when the pads engage, but there's no stopping power? If that's the case, shorten the straddle cable so that it's lower (closer to the tire).

GRAVELBIKE
07-04-2012, 08:50 PM
Here's something I wrote up this week:

http://www.gravelbike.com/?p=1122

I converted one of my Campy-equipped to mini-v's, and it's like night and day.

redir
07-05-2012, 10:29 PM
FWIW I rember the transition between canti and V-brake... years ago. And the difference was night and day! The difference between one digit braking to full on fisting the levers only to loose all muscle control in the wrists from shock and terror released by canti's... no brainer... :)

Rekalcitrant
07-05-2012, 10:43 PM
I got so sick of fork shudder a while back that I switched my cyclocross commuter to mini-v's. IMHO adjustable noodles are crucial, and i find myself doing more wheel truing and brake adjusting than before. This said, properly set up, both stopping power and modulation are SO much better. And tektro mini-v's are perfectly functional, reasonably light and dirt cheap. Have had no problems in the rain. I can't see ever going back to cantis!

pdmtong
07-05-2012, 10:46 PM
No issues at all with TRP 8.4s in the rain/wet.