PDA

View Full Version : Campy 11 Speed Chain + KMC Quick Link = BAD??

2manybikes
07-01-2012, 02:01 PM
Just ran this combo today for the first time. New chain and new KMC link. 40 miles into the ride my chain broke where the KMC Link was. Roller deal and KMC link blew out on a shift up a moderate hill. Luckily I stopped pedaling immediately. Now I know why Campy says not to use a link or face the risk of injury or death. Got home (another 20 miles) with a Shimano pin from a buddy on the ride.

Now the dilema I have is whether to try a KMC chain or ditch Campy all together. I'm not paying for the campy chain pin tool that I can't carry in my bag for emergency repair.

Puget Pounder
07-01-2012, 02:21 PM
Interesting. I've done the same and have had no problems. You can try to the wipperman link since they are reusable.

Dave
07-01-2012, 02:40 PM
There is no Wiperman link that would fit properly.

I assume that an 11 speed link was used?

If you have another 11 speed link, install it and check the clearance between the outer and inner plates, with a feeler gage. KMC links tend to fit a bit loose, but as long as the side clearance isn't over .012 inch, it shouldn't contribute to a failure.

It's a miracle that a Shimano pin got you home. I tried one, just as an experiment, back in 2008, when 11 speed came out. The pin was much too long and the increased diameter area at the end went clear through the outer plate. Obviously, I never used the chain with one end of the pin unsecured.

FWIW, I've used both an ill-fitting KMC 10 speed link and a no-longer-made, extra narrow model of the Wipperman link with 11 speed chains, with no problem.

thinpin
07-01-2012, 03:09 PM
FWIW I have not had any issues with this set up.

2manybikes
07-01-2012, 03:24 PM
There is no Wiperman link that would fit properly.

I assume that an 11 speed link was used?

If you have another 11 speed link, install it and check the clearance between the outer and inner plates, with a feeler gage. KMC links tend to fit a bit loose, but as long as the side clearance isn't over .012 inch, it shouldn't contribute to a failure.

It's a miracle that a Shimano pin got you home. I tried one, just as an experiment, back in 2008, when 11 speed came out. The pin was much too long and the increased diameter area at the end went clear through the outer plate. Obviously, I never used the chain with one end of the pin unsecured.

FWIW, I've used both an ill-fitting KMC 10 speed link and a no-longer-made, extra narrow model of the Wipperman link with 11 speed chains, with no problem.

Definitely an 11 speed link. Thanks for the tip on the clearance. I knew the shimano pin wasn't the best idea, but the only option I had. I'm sure it would have came apart to at some point.

Leaning toward a KMC chain since I have it on my 7900 set up and works great.

cnighbor1
07-01-2012, 03:30 PM
KMC Link can be installed up side down than it fails
My club members have had same problems and looking at instructions they are not clear which way is correct
Charles

2manybikes
07-01-2012, 03:35 PM
KMC Link can be installed up side down than it fails
My club members have had same problems and looking at instructions they are not clear which way is correct
Charles

That may have been it since I didn't pay attention to which side was which. Like you said, nothing indicated on the instructions.

Dave
07-01-2012, 03:56 PM
There should be no "upside down" with the KMC link. With a Wipperman, the slot is curved and there is only one correct orientation. The slot points toward the back of the bike, on the lower section of chain.

http://www.kmcchain.us/kmcproduct.asp?pid=5057&bsid=34&ssid=572

Black Dog
07-01-2012, 04:13 PM
I have been running a KMC link with an 11 speed chain this season with no issues.

Ramjm_2000
07-01-2012, 04:25 PM
No issues either.

NRRider
07-01-2012, 04:35 PM
I've probably got 1500+ miles on this setup (Chorus 11 sp chain with 11 sp KMC link) and it's run like a top the entire time. Not that this really proves anyting more than that, but I've been recommending it to others since it works so well. Don't like the Wipperman links (had some issues) but the KMC has been great.
Could there have been an installation error? I know for instance that I had to use a tool to spread the chain fully into the link holes since it was pretty tight.

ultraman6970
07-01-2012, 04:42 PM
Wonder if you put the thing wrong??? Between you and me, they manufacture zillion of those links, sure some have to come bad at some point. Maybe you were the lucky one, I would play lotto you might be in a strike.

reggiebaseball
07-01-2012, 04:48 PM
Sorry to hear about your problem, glad you are safe and it did not result in an accident.

I use three different KMC chains on Chorus 11 drivetrains, maybe 1km each this season and lovely results - no issues.

cnighbor1
07-01-2012, 05:31 PM
with the advent of indexed shifters 11 cogs etc haven't we gotten ourselves into a very tough situlation were bicycle are much more unforgiving. Than in not following manufactures directions on installing and maintenceand to use non manufactures components with thiers aren't we just asking for a problem
Charles

2manybikes
07-01-2012, 05:34 PM
I've probably got 1500+ miles on this setup (Chorus 11 sp chain with 11 sp KMC link) and it's run like a top the entire time. Not that this really proves anyting more than that, but I've been recommending it to others since it works so well. Don't like the Wipperman links (had some issues) but the KMC has been great.
Could there have been an installation error? I know for instance that I had to use a tool to spread the chain fully into the link holes since it was pretty tight.

Might have been an install issue. No way to tell now :( I used the SRAM technique to get it locked in: Get it started then hold back brake then pedal pressure.

Glad other folks aren't having an issue. Helps me have confidence in the KMC chain option.

AngryScientist
07-01-2012, 05:39 PM
Kmc chains rock. As far as links for the campy chain IRD is the best I've used

Dave
07-01-2012, 06:06 PM
I should add a note about side clearance. I can't imagine there being none, but the minimum should be in the .004-.006 range. Less than that could pop the head off one of the pins.

coylifut
07-01-2012, 11:38 PM
I've tried every 11 speed link out there have had problems. the normal problem is chains develop a popping sound and vibration after a few weeks or 900 miles or so. The worst problem was with a KMC chain splitting a side plate in half while sprinting up a hill. It destroyed a new Record rear mech and hangar.

If you are going to spend the substantial coin on a Campy 11 speed system, don't begrudge the shop the $ to properly install the Campy specific chain with their insanely expensive chain tool. I know we all enjoy being the sole wrench on our bikes, but flipping the local shop a little money to install a chain a few times a year allows me to look at some of the cool bikes on the floor.

merckx
07-02-2012, 04:55 AM
The Campy chain tool should be considered just another component in the group, and it sould be a part of your budget when you purchase the group. If you cannot afford the purchase of the group that you desire with the chain tool included, then go to the next rung down.

oldpotatoe
07-02-2012, 07:26 AM
Just ran this combo today for the first time. New chain and new KMC link. 40 miles into the ride my chain broke where the KMC Link was. Roller deal and KMC link blew out on a shift up a moderate hill. Luckily I stopped pedaling immediately. Now I know why Campy says not to use a link or face the risk of injury or death. Got home (another 20 miles) with a Shimano pin from a buddy on the ride.

Now the dilema I have is whether to try a KMC chain or ditch Campy all together. I'm not paying for the campy chain pin tool that I can't carry in my bag for emergency repair.

I'm getting the IRD 11s link this week, the distributor finally had them..never heard of any of the 40 or so I have sold. BUT I have sold a dozen or so of the KMC one use ones..no issues to report.

fuzzalow
07-02-2012, 08:36 AM
No problems with KMC on 11speed. The package says that an 11speed link is not reusable and I have reused it. No issues but note that going against the manufacturer's instructions (or corp. CYA) is the choice of each user. YMMV.

The only links that have ever failed on me are a bad batch of Wippermans for Campy 10speed a few years ago. Brittle stainless steel for the end plates cracked at the pin.

There is tremendous benefit in using a link with being able to clean the chain off the bike and, as per Dave, rotating multiple chains with a cassette to extend the longevity of that ensemble.

Dave
07-02-2012, 05:15 PM
The chain tool can still be had for $145. I paid about $140, back in 2008.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pp/road-track-bike/Tools/TOOL

Just about any 10 speed chain tool will break the chain. Parks sells an inexpensive tool to flare the joining pin.

oldpotatoe
07-02-2012, 05:27 PM
The Campy chain tool should be considered just another component in the group, and it sould be a part of your budget when you purchase the group. If you cannot afford the purchase of the group that you desire with the chain tool included, then go to the next rung down.

Really? When I bought my car, that used a computer to see why the 'check engine light' came on, I didn't even think to buy the computer.

When ya buy a frame, do you buy all the frame prep tools required?

Methinks that's what 'decent' bike shops are for, to have the tool, whatever that shop level tool, may be.

Course if you live somewhere where bike shops can't even spell, C A M P A G N O L O..then, yep, maybe need the chain tool.

NRRider
07-02-2012, 05:46 PM
What about this puppy?
http://www.amazon.com/Lezyne-11-Speed-Chain-Drive-Breaker/dp/B0053X1B3Y

ultraman6970
07-02-2012, 06:57 PM
I got a bar one like for 40 bucks... I dont have an 11 speed group but still dont get why to get a special tool for it when the difference between the 10 and the 11 speed chain are tens of millimeters. Is almost the same to buy a new tool to open a 7 speed chain and between the 8 and the 10 the difference is pretty palpable just to look at it.

MilanoTom
07-03-2012, 09:08 AM
I got a bar one like for 40 bucks... I dont have an 11 speed group but still dont get why to get a special tool for it when the difference between the 10 and the 11 speed chain are tens of millimeters. Is almost the same to buy a new tool to open a 7 speed chain and between the 8 and the 10 the difference is pretty palpable just to look at it.

You need to peen the end of the pin after you install it. I believe that Park makes a special peening tool to go along with their 11-speed-compatible chain tool.

Regards,
Tom

MilanoTom
07-03-2012, 09:09 AM
What about this puppy?
http://www.amazon.com/Lezyne-11-Speed-Chain-Drive-Breaker/dp/B0053X1B3Y

It doesn't look like it peens, but should be great to use for installing a KMC link on a chain.

Regards,
Tom

AngryScientist
07-03-2012, 09:15 AM
It doesn't look like it peens, but should be great to use for installing a KMC link on a chain.

Regards,
Tom

yes it does...

Lezyne designed the 11-Speed Chain Drive Tool with a backing bolt designed specifically to flare your 11-speed chain pin

NRRider
07-03-2012, 09:18 AM
yes it does...
Right, which is why this looked to me like the perfect alternative to the Campy tool. What am I missing? For $40 I could be talked into switching from the KMC links, though as I said above so far that link has worked great for me.

2manybikes
07-03-2012, 09:35 AM
yes it does...

Here is their instructions:

http://www.lezyne.com/wdownloads/manuals/11spd_instructions_v1_r0.pdf

I like the last step:

13) Wear a helmet and ride your bike!