PDA

View Full Version : The cows are sitting down ?

Fixed
07-01-2012, 09:52 AM
A sign of rain .
Cool nice to know Thanks Phil

wooly
07-01-2012, 09:56 AM
One of the many entertaining things about watching the tour are Phil's musings.

Lovin the tour.

TMB
07-01-2012, 10:13 AM
I'm starting to worry about myself.

7 in the AM and I'm thinking i'd like a Kronenbourg!

I might have a problem.

jghall
07-01-2012, 10:13 AM
Agree with the musings Ron, I for one kind of enjoy it.

With regards to the cows, an old's wives tale.

maxdog
07-01-2012, 10:25 AM
I too find thugs entertaining and have thought in 8-d, although I usually stick to 3-d and prefer a Guinness or maybe weizen for the summer.

Fixed
07-01-2012, 10:39 AM
Dalearium
Cheers

FlashUNC
07-01-2012, 01:38 PM
Phil's schtick is starting to get old.

I'm tired of him constantly misidentifying riders, or thinking every move is a brilliant one.

ultraman6970
07-01-2012, 01:44 PM
They are getting paid to make the race exciting for the people who is watching the race :)

The other problem is that when you are doing that kind of job for too long the guys became just actors and stuff just come out of their mouth instantly. Is the same script over and over.

TMB
07-01-2012, 01:47 PM
It only took until Stage 1 this year for the annual we hate Phil celebration to kick in.

Fixed
07-01-2012, 01:48 PM
the picture of the cows sitting down in the field made me laugh ,they looked like my dog sitting next to me . Cheers

FlashUNC
07-01-2012, 02:03 PM
It only took until Stage 1 this year for the annual we hate Phil celebration to kick in.

When he can't identify riders, or even what team they're riding for, its a sign he might want to think about exiting.

No different than John Madden or any other announcer, really.

He brings tons of enthusiasm, but that's about it these days.

Fixed
07-01-2012, 02:29 PM
I will be sad to see him leave completely like to see him involved as long he would like .. his 40th tour this year congratulations that is an amazing accomplishment IMHO
Cheers

gomango
07-01-2012, 02:33 PM
A sign of rain .
Cool nice to know Thanks Phil

I grew up on a dairy farm in Minnesota.

Opa used to say that the "cows were lying down, so it will rain soon" before he'd head to the barn for a Grain Belt Premium or two.

I've also seen cows standing in a pasture on the farm in the middle of a hail storm.

Consider this further debunked.

oliver1850
07-01-2012, 03:33 PM
Sadly, I have lost my old Grain Belt glass, from Whispering Pines Resort on Lake Kabetogama. From the days when you could only buy 3.2 beer. Whispering Pines is long gone now as well, and most of the dairy cows are in confinement in California. Happy cows? They'd probably rather be out in a MN hailstorm.

rwsaunders
07-01-2012, 09:18 PM
I will be sad to see him leave completely like to see him involved as long he would like .. his 40th tour this year congratulations that is an amazing accomplishment IMHO
Cheers

+1....he and Paul are the English speaking voices of the tour. On a related note, who is the ball of fire that sits on Roll's left?

rounder
07-01-2012, 09:18 PM
The other important thing to know about cows, is that when the sun is shining and they are eating grass, they all aim the same way.

cmg
07-02-2012, 09:22 AM
+1....he and Paul are the English speaking voices of the tour. On a related note, who is the ball of fire that sits on Roll's left?

i believe that is Scott Moninger. exciting guy isn't he? not sure what better color commentary or a deadpan delivery.

Fixed
07-02-2012, 09:43 AM
Note to Scott
Double espresso before show
Cheers :)

Thanks Scott

pdmtong
07-02-2012, 10:29 AM
sure phil and paul have their moments, but really, is there anyone else that would be much much better? if so, who? lots of institutional and tribal knowledge in those two....

FlashUNC
07-02-2012, 11:18 AM
sure phil and paul have their moments, but really, is there anyone else that would be much much better? if so, who? lots of institutional and tribal knowledge in those two....

I'm a big fan of Sean Kelly's commentary on the stolen Eurosport feeds. Particularly during the classics.

Liv2RideHard
07-02-2012, 11:29 AM
Note to Scott
Double espresso before show
Cheers :)

Thanks Scott

Dude, you need to comb you hair too. My wife asked if he had just rolled out of bed and into the booth.

Beats Al Trautwig IMO. I miss Craig Hummer in the booth. Craig, Bob and the dynamic Brit duo gets my vote.

lovethesport
07-02-2012, 11:34 AM

Grooming him to be Phil's replacement:eek:I think Paul and Phil are doing a tremendous job especially when you hear other announcers/races

TMB
07-02-2012, 11:40 AM
Important to remember that P&P are doing their broadcast from inside that little trailer thing they are filmed in from time to time, shoulders touching and no room to turn around.

They get exactly the same video feed as us and unlike all of us, they aren't looking a 42" big screen, they are looking at 9" monitors and trying to call the race off of those.

Anyone that thinks they can do better should send their resumes in.