PDA

View Full Version : VW Passat Commericial

CalfeeFly
09-18-2005, 11:32 AM
Has anyone else seen the new Passat commericial? :confused:

A Cyclist loses his headlight. The second car along is a Passat with the headlights that move with the steering of the front wheels. Instead of passing he rides behind and lights the road for the cyclist. In turn they both hammer down the hill & it enables the cyclist to avoid some rocks or glass. It is a very cool commercial. :banana:
:bike:

dave thompson
09-18-2005, 11:52 AM
I had to watch it twice to fully understand it, but it is a 'sweet' commerical.

Bill Bove
09-18-2005, 12:02 PM
Climb? Mr. Climb, did you have anything to do with that commercial? Ask anybody who raced a bike in the '70's, VW was the cyclists car of choice, and many times the out of town lodging of choice. Remember those nights staying in "The Hotel VEEDUB"? John Allis' bus painted to match his Nat's Jersey?

Argos
09-18-2005, 02:02 PM
Not that anyone cares, but that is a 2006 Trek 2100 in the commercial. Useless trivia.

IXXI
09-18-2005, 02:14 PM
I think that was one of the last spots done by VW's agency Arnold before they handed the acct to their new agency Crispin Porter Bogusky (agency for Mini, Burger King, among others.) Nice spot.

Climb01742
09-18-2005, 04:56 PM
it is a cool spot, i think. a shame VW fired their ad agency. VW has problems, but firing their ad agency won't solve 'em. who on earth would buy a VW that costs $100,000? they built the phaeton instead of a new micro-bus. brilliant.

pale scotsman
09-18-2005, 07:13 PM
I've always thought that if they brought the Thing back they'd make a killing...

it is a cool spot, i think. a shame VW fired their ad agency. VW has problems, but firing their ad agency won't solve 'em. who on earth would buy a VW that costs $100,000? they built the phaeton instead of a new micro-bus. brilliant.

97CSI
09-18-2005, 07:24 PM
The main thing that VW needs to bring back is quality. My daughter's Jetta is the biggest piece-o-**** on wheels. They just got a new minivan and rather than keep the '00 Jetta they kept the '82 M-B diesel wagon with 250K miles. At least it doesn't cost them $1500 for a new computer or wiper motor or whatever every three months.

mdeeds71
09-18-2005, 07:31 PM
Everytime I see that commercial I wonder if that were me...Man this guy is close, and on such a low use road at night??? I wounder what he is doing or going to do...and I hit one of those hard to see, shaded potholes, and whack...thud...

Did my bike make it!!!!...scr@w the VW.

Good commercial.

GoJavs
09-18-2005, 07:34 PM
Nice commercial. I also had to give up my VW. It was a nice '99 Jetta Wolfsburg edition. I would have kept it forever, but it was an impossible lemon. It's a shame. Doubt I'll ever be able to convince the Ms. to let me bring another one home.... :no:

Ti Designs
09-18-2005, 08:08 PM
Ask anybody who raced a bike in the '70's, VW was the cyclists car of choice, and many times the out of town lodging of choice. Remember those nights staying in "The Hotel VEEDUB"? John Allis' bus painted to match his Nat's Jersey?

The good 'ol days of bike racing. Most of the people I knew who raced back then had a VW micro bus - in fact, a lot of them had the SAME bus at one time or another. It was like this unwritten rule, you can only sell this thing to another poor bike racer, and don't turn on the heater!!! I can think of a few cars that had that kind of cyclist following over the years. The Saab 900, the Volvo 240 wagon, the VW Rabbit... All of these cars had two things in common. First, they had rain gutters so any rack of the time would fit. Second, you could double the value of the car by putting your bike on top.

CalfeeFly
09-18-2005, 11:01 PM
Consumer Reports is good for repair records they compile what their readers say in an annual survey and only use what is as large enough sample. VW does very poorly now although year's back it was not true. Surprisingly MB does not fare well either and they were at the top not all that long ago.

British Columbia whose number one cash crop is no longer lumber but BC Bud is also the home of more 60's era VW Vanagons as probably anywhere in the world. This is when you are up in the mountains where there are more deer than people. When I rode there it seemed like every 4th car was one. Many of the draft avoiding people are still there and happily in the 60's forever raising their cash crop. I was there about 3 or 4 years ago. It was funny that the legislature passed a new bill while I was there that stated you could smoke your BC Bud with a prescription. However unlike CA the doctor did not need a medical reason to write one for you. You just had to ask for one and carry it. :beer:

toaster
09-18-2005, 11:13 PM
VW Passat, official car of RAAM.

Bill Bove
09-19-2005, 08:01 AM
The good 'ol days of bike racing. Most of the people I knew who raced back then had a VW micro bus - in fact, a lot of them had the SAME bus at one time or another. It was like this unwritten rule, you can only sell this thing to another poor bike racer, and don't turn on the heater!!! I can think of a few cars that had that kind of cyclist following over the years. The Saab 900, the Volvo 240 wagon, the VW Rabbit... All of these cars had two things in common. First, they had rain gutters so any rack of the time would fit. Second, you could double the value of the car by putting your bike on top.

I think Bill Guazzo still owns his bus "Precious". Tom Masterson used to say that your car should be worth at least twice your car. For a long time I owned 1/5th of a Volvo 240 wagon. that sucker got us around to a lot races. you wanna know how to learn teamwork? Be 5 or 600 miles from home with no money and an empty tank, race tactics dictate you win every prime to get out of town, lead outs suddenly become easier.

pjm
09-19-2005, 08:24 AM
Fantasy. Funny, stuff like that never happens to me. In fact, Saturday I wasn't 10 minutes into my ride before I was called "FAGGOT" by the driver of a pick-up going in the other direction.
Lets see 'em re-enact that one in a TV commercial!

palincss
09-19-2005, 10:38 AM

Or a hulking monster like the Toe Rag? We sure have come a long way from The People's Car, haven't we?

zap
09-19-2005, 11:08 AM
A number of executive changes have been made at VW NA as well.

Some of my neighbors who own Phaeton's like them. But I wonder if Phaeton II is every going to see the light of day. They should just let Audi sell those mid priced cars.

I'm curious to see how well VW's US$1,000,000 Bugatti sells. But VW's Lamborghini division seems to be doing well.

VW=Very Wealthy people's cars.