PDA

View Full Version : identifying campy hubs

sivat
06-30-2012, 04:43 PM
I recently got a set of wheels with older Veloce hubs. I'm trying to figure out if they are 8 or 9 speed hubs. I've read online that there is a 1mm difference in the width of the freehub, but i haven't found what those measurements should be. I'd rather not pull the cassette off my 10s hubs if I can help it. Are there any easy ways to tell an 8s from a 9s hub?

bfd
06-30-2012, 04:50 PM
You need to look at the shape of the spline on the freehub to determine what type of cassette you can fit. Branford bike has a good way of determining this with side pictures of each type of hubs:

http://branfordbike.com/articles/cassettes-and-cogs-pg60.htm

sivat
06-30-2012, 06:50 PM
Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.

oldpotatoe
07-02-2012, 07:38 AM
I recently got a set of wheels with older Veloce hubs. I'm trying to figure out if they are 8 or 9 speed hubs. I've read online that there is a 1mm difference in the width of the freehub, but i haven't found what those measurements should be. I'd rather not pull the cassette off my 10s hubs if I can help it. Are there any easy ways to tell an 8s from a 9s hub?

Black steel or silver aluminum freehub body?

Former is 8s, later is 9s(and 10s and 11s). Some exceptions(1996 Record all ti 8s cogset freehub body was aluminum).