PDA

View Full Version : musings on riding clothes

Ken Robb
06-30-2012, 03:32 PM
I have been gradually shifting away from my lycra,padding, clipped in outfits to fred-like regular,shorts,shirts, rubber-solded shoes and flat pedals for most of my riding because I am using my bikes to get to places rather than just "going for a ride". Cycling clothes are great on a long ride but not so good for anything else. I no longer have any bikes that could be mistaken for any one's team bike so my bikes and clothes sorta match.

Today I saw a rider in full team kit riding bolt-upright on a comfort bike with a very wide saddle. Now that looked odd to me. :)

false_Aest
06-30-2012, 03:36 PM
i stopped paying attention when people started using the word "colorway"

bfd
06-30-2012, 03:40 PM
I don't know what the big deal is, ride what YOU think is appropriate! When I'm commuting and riding around town, my street clothes are fine. However, on. 40+ mile ride with the "boys," give me my lycra and "team jerseys" - like Ben & Jerry, Michelin Man or *Diet Rite!* Good Luck!

bfd
06-30-2012, 03:42 PM
I don't know what the big deal is, ride what YOU think is appropriate! When I'm commuting and riding around town, my street clothes are fine. However, on. 40+ mile ride with the "boys," give me my lycra and "team jerseys" - like Ben & Jerry, Michelin Man or *Diet Rite!* Good Luck!

bart998
06-30-2012, 04:09 PM
I've recently dropped bibs in favor of regular riding shorts and have gone to cotton jerseys (Kucharik)... more comfortable than spandex and I don't care about looking like Joe Racer anymore...

Fixed
06-30-2012, 04:43 PM
I once saw a guy riding a recumbent with a kilt on .
They wear no underwear. I guess it was cool
Cheers

Ken Robb
06-30-2012, 05:14 PM
Cheers

I'm sorry I missed seeing that one.

Earl Gray
06-30-2012, 05:25 PM
Welcome to the light!

BLUF: Ride a bike and wear the clothes that are suited to where/how you are riding.

I have not worn lycra or clipped in yet this year.

Next week I will be doing to true road ride with a friendly group and will don the full clown suit. Only because it make the other riders more comfortable with my presence.

I will admit to some specific benefits to a full kit on 75+ rides, but other wise I have yet to see any issues with fairly standard street clothes while riding.

P.S. Grant Petersen would be proud.

jgspin
07-01-2012, 10:58 PM
What other people wear is not my business. As for me riding with regular clothes would not be good. Barely hanging on a wheel at 25-30 mph on PCH I can see those shorts open up like a parachute. My phone, tools, food, wallet, etc...in my shorts pocket going up and down at 90-115 rpm, unpadded shorts on a 70 + miles ride, sweaty, clingy, cotton shirt on a hot climb at Elfin Forest; riding would be miserable. That was the route today so unless I'm riding alone maybe to the corner store, I'd most likely be in a kit.

oldpotatoe
07-02-2012, 07:46 AM
I have been gradually shifting away from my lycra,padding, clipped in outfits to fred-like regular,shorts,shirts, rubber-solded shoes and flat pedals for most of my riding because I am using my bikes to get to places rather than just "going for a ride". Cycling clothes are great on a long ride but not so good for anything else. I no longer have any bikes that could be mistaken for any one's team bike so my bikes and clothes sorta match.

Today I saw a rider in full team kit riding bolt-upright on a comfort bike with a very wide saddle. Now that looked odd to me. :)

good for you BUT

I ride to work and wear cycling clothes cuz they are the most functional and comfy for a bike ride. So......Why do people care what other people wear or ride?

'You seemed to be concerned that some bicycle you ride could be 'mistaken' for a 'team bike'...I find that a little odd..

Do you take the labels off the bike's rims also?

oldpotatoe
07-02-2012, 07:47 AM
Cheers

What do Scot's wear under their kilt?

Their shoes!!

redir
07-02-2012, 08:18 AM
I always wear my kit when I commute because I despise wet cotton. As for pedals I think I am going to switch back to platforms on the MTB. Especially after reading a good Dirt Rag article about it and crashing last weekend because I was clipped in.

mso
07-02-2012, 09:33 AM
Wear what you like. If a team kit makes you feel "faster" .....go fot it! I personally go for comfort and fit and love the urban look on short casual rides.

AngryScientist
07-02-2012, 09:48 AM
and have gone to cotton jerseys

looks aside, cotton is really a terrible material if you're going to sweat at all.

Fixed
07-02-2012, 10:17 AM
In the old days 70 early 80's I rode shirtless or with a cut out t shirt
Old style bike shorts and shoes ,cycling cap ,sunglasses .
When I went to an cycling event I wore a jersey .
Cheers

illuminaught
07-02-2012, 10:21 AM
I try and missmatch my kits a much a possible. At first it was by accident... now it's like one of the intentional messy hairstyles. I do it because it amuses me, and it might be easier to spot for motorists.

velotel
07-02-2012, 10:34 AM
I been dressing in regular looking clothes for longer than I can remember, cut-off shorts as I recall back in the 60's. The gray shirt in the picture is at least 25 years old, originally a very fine wool, now a super thin wool after all these years of use, that I've been skiing, mountain biking, and road riding in since I bought it. Original purpose was a dress shirt; I found a better use for it. The shorts are at least 25 years old too. Actually designed for bike riding long ago but without a crotch diaper. Look like just regular shorts but great for cycling. Nothing against lycra but this is how I'm comfortable riding. The fanny pack is at least 25 years old too!

Fixed
07-02-2012, 10:38 AM
I been dressing in regular looking clothes for longer than I can remember, cut-off shorts as I recall back in the 60's. The gray shirt in the picture is at least 25 years old, originally a very fine wool, now a super thin wool after all these years of use, that I've been skiing, mountain biking, and road riding in since I bought it. Original purpose was a dress shirt; I found a better use for it. The shorts are at least 25 years old too. Actually designed for bike riding long ago but without a crotch diaper. Look like just regular shorts but great for cycling. Nothing against lycra but this is how I'm comfortable riding. The fanny pack is at least 25 years old too!

Perfect
Cheers :)

ngilbert
07-02-2012, 11:06 AM

I can certainly relate to this. After having children I haven't been able to ride as much I used to and have begun to despise feeling like I need a completely different outfit just to go for a quick ride (30-45 min). This is my primary motivation for building up a good all around bike to use for commuting and rails-to-trails riding.

Ken Robb
07-02-2012, 12:21 PM
good for you BUT

I ride to work and wear cycling clothes cuz they are the most functional and comfy for a bike ride. So......Why do people care what other people wear or ride?

'You seemed to be concerned that some bicycle you ride could be 'mistaken' for a 'team bike'...I find that a little odd..

Do you take the labels off the bike's rims also?

Riding to work at your bike shop in "kit" makes sense to me because you can change when you get there. It also makes a lot of sense to look as much like a serious cyclist since that is your business. Riding to the bank or grocery store in racing kit and clanking around on cleats doesn't make sense for me. Believe me if I'm heading out for 20+ miles on the Hampsten I'll wear padded shorts and a cycling jersey.

I'm not concerned about my bikes looking or not looking like a team bike. I was making the point that my "fred" clothes don't look as odd on one of my Rivendells or my Strada Bianca as they would if I rode a "race" bike like some I used to own. Please remember that my post was "musings" not condemnation or criticism. My musings were triggered by my sighting of the rider in full team kit on a comfort bike which was a first for me and I wondered about any similar anomalies that my forum pals may have seen.

I think I did remove the decals from a set of Ksyriums I had because I thought they looked too much like a billboard and I know I peeled them off some Open Pros when they got rather scuffed and torn from riding on unpaved surfaces.

bluesea
07-02-2012, 12:31 PM
Welcome to the light!

Next week I will be doing to true road ride with a friendly group and will don the full clown suit. Only because it make the other riders more comfortable with my presence.

Imo its the rider that turns functional technical wear into a clown suit. The second I do more than walk to and from my front door, stop to fill water bottles/use the lav then I become a clown. Bu then again, I don't wear kit.

Fixed
07-02-2012, 01:17 PM
Clown suit no
Super hero yes
IMHO cheers :)

bluesea
07-02-2012, 01:43 PM
I been dressing in regular looking clothes for longer than I can remember, cut-off shorts as I recall back in the 60's.

I started wearing helmets 3 yr ago after a right frontal lobe tbi, where I don't have the extra brain cells to spare anymore. Rode helmet-less yesterday for 20 min while adjusting cleat tension on new pedals and the (slow) wind-in-hair was glorious.,

AngryScientist
07-02-2012, 02:24 PM
i just got this road holland jersey. nice wool/synthetic blend.

it's perfect to wear with a pair of khaki shorts or casual shorts when going on more casual rides. performs as well as any jersey i own, but certainly looks fine sitting in a restaurant/store/whatever.

these jerseys are so versatile, i love them.

http://roadholland.com/shop/images/products/rhm-004-06.jpg

bluesea
07-02-2012, 02:59 PM
Extralight Smart Wool tees in light gray are cool.

Seramount
07-02-2012, 03:16 PM
when I was a (ugh) golfer, I adamantly refused to wear anything resembling standard issue golf attire. preferred to play in a hoodie, well-worn army surplus camo shorts, and sandals. rugged individualism...

as a cave diver, one of the rules of the sport is to gear up as identically as possible. that way, in a tight situation, a partner knows where all your equipment is, because it's in the same place he wears his. conformity for safety's sake...

as a cyclist, my kit consists of a jersey, shorts, helmet, gloves, cleated shoes. the technical fabrics works for wicking sweat, the helmet is safety gear, the gloves, shoes are functional. and as a bonus, I happen to look good wearing it. it makes me feel like a serious cyclist, not just some guy on a bike.

93legendti
07-02-2012, 03:40 PM
I'm with Seramount. I've ridden in non-padded shorts...15 minutes to the bike store. No thanks. All the gear I use is comfortable. I know what I like in socks, shorts, jerseys, gloves, glasses and helmets. When I wear them, I never have to give a second thought to an uncomfortable feeling here or a pinch there. Use what you like.