PDA

View Full Version : Athlete's Foot & Orthotics?

MattTuck
06-29-2012, 09:54 PM
So, I seem to have a bit of athlete's foot causing the skin under my pinky toe to crack. I'm on top of that with the lotrimin, neosporin and all that jazz...

However, I layed out about $500 in May for new Sidi shoes and new orthotics. Various sources I've read suggest throwing out your footwear in the instance of athlete's foot. That is not really something I want to do, so I'm looking for 1.) second opinions on that advice and 2.) other solutions such as diluted bleach, spraying lotrimin on the insoles, etc.

Thanks.

Louis
06-30-2012, 12:58 AM
Mayo Clinic Info (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/athletes-foot/DS00317)

The info above suggests that since it's contagious you might want to be careful, but based on what they say it doesn't sound too tough to kill when it's on a surface like shoes. Perhaps a bleach or vinegar bath then letting them dry out well for a few days.

This is a battle I gave up on years ago. Over-the-counter stuff did not work for me (apparently it's not very effective) and I didn't feel like getting the strong stuff, even though I did go to a podiatrist and get a prescription for some. In my case it's a minor cosmetic issue (IMO, others might be grossed out) so I've decided to live with it.

Peter P.
06-30-2012, 09:04 AM
Pull out your insoles and throw them in the wash. I see no need to discard your entire shoe.

I don't know a lot about athlete's foot but when I've had it, it seemed easy enough to cure with washing, a little hygiene, and maybe some over the counter product.

Dave
06-30-2012, 04:45 PM
My podiatrist suggests regular spraying with lysol spray disinfectant.

Fixed
06-30-2012, 05:16 PM

I rode with a doc that did that after every ride
He was vascular surgeon .
Cheers

Seramount
06-30-2012, 07:39 PM
I've had a fungal infection between both little toes for the last...oh, 35 years.

I've applied buckets of EVERY OTC medication available. I've tried Rx meds and used every home remedy ever conceived (lemon juice, bleach, saline solution, isopropyl alchohol, hydrogen peroxide, Neosporin, yadda yadda...).

I religiously put on clean socks every day and apply the medication du jour.

absolutely NOTHING has eliminated this condition.

the areas will heal up for a few days, but it invariably flares back up and the skin turns soft, white, cracks open, and burns/itches like crazy. the symptoms were so bad once, in total desperation, I applied some reagent-grade hydrochloric acid in an attempt to 'fry' the fungi...definitely not recommended.

the most relief I've ever gotten was going barefoot for two weeks and immersing my feet in sea water every day. but, once I returned to wearing shoes, the symptoms returned.

so, this stuff can be a serious, long-term, and for some, apparently incurable problem.

ymmv.

MattTuck
06-30-2012, 10:29 PM

spraying of what? your insoles? shoes? feet?

MattTuck
06-30-2012, 10:33 PM
the symptoms were so bad once, in total desperation, I applied some reagent-grade hydrochloric acid in an attempt to 'fry' the fungi...definitely not recommended.

This seems pretty extreme, and painful. :eek::eek:

I'll give a few of the remedies you speak of a try, but NOT this one.

Louis
06-30-2012, 11:24 PM
Other than the dead of winter, Birkenstocks and socks can be worn all year long.

About 20 years ago I had an ingrown toe-nail removed and wore sandals to work to relieve the pressure as it healed. I enjoyed the cool feeling and ventilation so much I continued to do it even after it was no longer necessary. I finally quit when it was too cold to continue and did not start up again in the spring. You would be surprised how few people will notice, even in an office environment, where Birkenstocks would normally not fit in. Folks don't tend to look at your feet much.

If I were really trying to fight this that's one way to remove the warm and damp environment that is the main source of the problem. (the other cause, according to my podiatrist, is that for some folks, the body just does not do a good job of fighting that particular fungus)

Fixed
07-01-2012, 05:18 AM
spraying of what? your insoles? shoes? feet?

Shoes and insoles take insoles out to air dry I think
Cheer :)