Fixed
06-29-2012, 05:08 PM
Closed this one too

Cheers
Stay in the dark or we can pick on l.a.forever

TPetsch
06-29-2012, 05:13 PM
Yea, things change. Don't they?

I was really enjoying "that" thread. Much to learn.

fuzzalow
06-29-2012, 05:23 PM
That thread, although currently locked, is still viewable. And locking it would have been the right thing to do if the tone of the newest posts would be all vinegar, lament and indignation over a view on how to ride a bike that differs from the ways of one's own practice. Or inability.

Fret not, there is always someone smarter, richer, faster.

There is good information in that thread and it is never a bad thing to get on the learning curve.

BumbleBeeDave
06-29-2012, 06:21 PM
. . . and you're welcome to re-read it as many times as you like.

I'm not sure what you're complaining about.

BBD

esldude
06-29-2012, 06:33 PM
Why don't you have a separate forum just for LA. Let people who are interested look at it, and complain and argue and just get as bent out of shape as they wish. The rest of us can ignore it completely.

tannhauser
06-29-2012, 07:09 PM
The thread is nuts and bolts but doesn't go into continuing education / why it makes a difference mode.

Some people like to think about what they're doing whilst riding, others like to whistle dixie. I say keep it open for the thinkers / grad students.

Bruce K
06-29-2012, 07:13 PM
Which thread are we talking about here? The LA thread? or the stem thread? or some other thread?
:confused:
BK

Jason E
06-29-2012, 07:23 PM
Which thread are we talking about here? The LA thread? or the stem thread? or some other thread?
BK

(Stem thread. The LA thread remaining open was sarcasm.)

Jason E
06-29-2012, 07:38 PM
...and having read it, the logic of locking it based on age makes no sense. I found it interesting. Others clearly do as well.

If we want to revisit the topic we should push off the historic knowledge of the forum and start from scratch, rather than starting with a thread from some great posters? Perhaps no one continued the thread further at the time because they were not as mature in their riding to participate in the conversation. Now that it is revisited, we are not allowed?

Is it the content or the age?

If it is the content, what is contentious about bicycle fit experiments on a bicycle forum?

If it is the age, what is the allowable age to revisit a topic that is started with well written and informative posts to start?

Ergott's "Track Bikes are Friggen cool!" thread is old, yet gets bumped and enjoyed often.

Please post the age of allowable revisiting in the forum rules so we understand.

jds108
06-29-2012, 08:15 PM
Why close the old stem thread? Put me in the confused camp.

oliver1850
06-29-2012, 08:19 PM
I don't mean to dogpile on the mods but I'd think there would be consistent policy for thread closure by now. There's lots of good information in the old threads, if someone wants to continue an old discussion, why not? Just because interest ran out at some point in the past doesn't mean the topic has no validity for further discussion. Often one post at the right time can lead to a whole page of additional comments. Why should it matter if that post comes 7 minutes or 7 years after the previous one?

csm
06-29-2012, 09:00 PM
I think threads get closed now and again just to show us that they can!

Ti Designs
06-29-2012, 09:27 PM
I think threads get closed now and again just to show us that they can!

No they can't!

esldude
06-29-2012, 09:52 PM
Yeah, I thought the LA threads deserve closing much more than the stem thread. Had never seen it, being a recent forum member. Found lots worth reading in it. Yet the smoke without fire of LA threads goes on and on. Seems quite the odd decision.

onsight512
06-29-2012, 09:58 PM
I read the stem thread this morning and never would have seen it if it hadn't been bumped back into existence.
It was very educational for this guy . Thanks, Fixed, for bringing it to my attention. I think it'd be a shame if that same thing couldn't be done in the future.

JohnHemlock
06-29-2012, 10:51 PM
Why don't you have a separate forum just for LA. Let people who are interested look at it, and complain and argue and just get as bent out of shape as they wish. The rest of us can ignore it completely.

Not a bad idea. The Lance threads quickly have about 10x as many views as any other. Like people who don't own TVs are careful to remind you frequently how they don't own TVs, people who don't care about Lance seem to be quick to tell you how little they care about Lance. He needs his own forum where people can just go and rage. Or not.

mister
06-29-2012, 10:56 PM
lol

pretty sure there is no real value in dredging up an 8yr old thread...

that's a surprise to me, half the time i don't even start a thread because i can find what i'm looking for with the search function.
and i pay no attention to the age of the thread.

mjb266
06-29-2012, 11:06 PM
Holy crap! What an arbitrary thread closure that reeks of personal indignation as opposed to the merits of the postings. We had some of the most accomplished bike designers around helping us amateurs understand how to fit a bike (granted, just a portion of fit but important nonetheless) and it gets locked. Just let the damned thing run its course and it'll be on page 5 in a week with no sign of it for another five years. Lock the freaking dbrk post on Pegoretti frames if the age of a thread is the criteria for it's being of value.

Total crap if you ask me. Back to reading about color coordination according to Bicycling magazine...

Fixed
06-30-2012, 04:31 AM
The old wisdom in the forum is not to be shared or talked about ?
A wast of a great resource if we can't comment on it
Cheers :)

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1163768&postcount=52

merlincustom1
06-30-2012, 06:22 AM
Maybe it's the mod's philosophy. The closing of an old thread is consistent with his views that the Armstrong charges are misguided as a relic of the past. Both are defensible positions.

Jason E
06-30-2012, 07:00 AM
I'd bet it would have to do more with the topic and the participants. Stem length conversations were verboten for a while. Some of those contributors are no longer here.

Does it make the topic less interesting to discuss? No. Nice to here them chime in.

Hmmm. Verboten. Reminds me....

Tony T
06-30-2012, 07:02 AM
Yeah, better to have new threads started than to add to an existing one :rolleyes:

Bruce K
06-30-2012, 10:09 AM
If there had been one post that indicated it had been revived for "educational" reasons it would have left it but I believe the posts were mostly one liners about reviving the dead. It didn't seem like it was going anywhere new at the time.

If people want to discuss stem length have at it. We can certainly re-open it or a new one could be started with more up to date philosophy on bike fit and stem length.

Reviving old threads just to "bump" them doesn't make much sense unless there's going to be new content added. Otherwise searches will find the old information easily enough.

BK

Ahneida Ride
06-30-2012, 11:19 AM
The thread is still there.

Please feel free to start a new thread.

Myself ???? I could see that thread going downhill fast.

TMB
06-30-2012, 11:27 AM
I will add to the general voice here. The closing of threads can be so arbitrary as to leave your head spinning trying to figure out why.

Why that thread was closed? Who knows, the proferred explanation makes little sense, at least to me.

TPetsch
06-30-2012, 11:51 AM
If there had been one post that indicated it had been revived for "educational" reasons it would have left it but I believe the posts were mostly one liners about reviving the dead. It didn't seem like it was going anywhere new at the time.

If people want to discuss stem length have at it. We can certainly re-open it or a new one could be started with more up to date philosophy on bike fit and stem length.

Reviving old threads just to "bump" them doesn't make much sense unless there's going to be new content added. Otherwise searches will find the old information easily enough.

BK

That was why I thought it strange to close it. -How can we talk about the new and up to date without a history and understanding of the of the old and out of style. "That" thread covered it all, and about those one liners? ...I sure most here know how to just ignore them with a quick passing glance. But some are quite funny.

jlwdm
06-30-2012, 11:58 AM
Okay is everybody happy the post is re-opened.

This is just a bike forum - nothing that important. The moderators spend a lot of time running the site and I think they should be able to do whatever they want whenever they want. They don't need rules for everything they do.

I read the threads I want and skip all of the LA threads.

Jeff