PDA

View Full Version : Attn resident cross junkies! Need Guidance.

inthegutter
09-18-2005, 01:01 AM
Ok, I am a Cat 3 road racer mainly but at the suggestion of my coach, I am going to be racing about 10 or so cross races this season. Now, I was looking to get a cross bike for about a grand or less.

Something like...
This Redline (http://www.redlinebicycles.com/adultbikes/conquest.html)

Now, he was concerned with the Tiagra shifters on it and said I probably shouldn't go lower than 105. What do you guys think about that?
Any other bikes between 800-1300 I should look at? Any favorites?

Also, I heard that people reverse the brakes for better dismounting. Something to consider?
I was also trying to choose pedals. It seems like eggbeaters and time seem to be the most popular.

Anything I am missing??
Thanks again.

jwb96
09-18-2005, 05:53 AM
I'm shopping for a cross bike in that price range and the two that I hear suggested most often are the Bianchi Axis (my favorite so far) and Kona Jake the Snake. The Bianchi is mostly 105 with a Deore XT rear (which is more like Ultegra in grade - one below the best), but I'm not sure about the wheels - they may be ripe to be swapped out, along with the triple chainring for a double.
Anyway, it's celeste!! (and black) What more could you want?

Bruce K
09-18-2005, 05:58 AM
If you are going for a Redline and planning to do 10 races, I would suggest spending for the Conquest Pro. Lighter frame and better components.

They are VERY popular around here.

If you can find a used, 1 season old cross bike you can save a bunch of $$ but cross bikes take a beating so be careful with used.

Another good buy in a built bike seems to be the Kona - Jake the Snake.

I prefer reversed braking but the trend seems to be to match your road bike and learn to stay off the front brake when dismounting. A couple of bike endos usually cures the problem. :rolleyes:

Shimano (I think) 959's also work pretty well if you already have SPD MTB shoes. The Eggbeaters shed mud well and have the advantage of 4-sided entry. I personally, found them hard to unclip from for dismounts, but that was an early version and, based on their popularity, I would guess that problem has been eliminated. If you go with the Eggbeaters I would look at the Candy SL. They are a little pricey but give you a platform to push on if you miss the cage.

Good luck, have fun, and keep the ice packs handy. ;)

BK

Argos
09-18-2005, 10:18 AM
I agree with bruce, but I favor the Time ATAC Pedals. Also, for your own sake, try to get 105, even used 105 is gonna be better.

Go to www.cyclocrossworld.com for some good prep and equipment set-up techniques and articles.

Bruce K
09-18-2005, 11:16 AM
I will second cyclocrossworld.com

Stu (the owner of cyclocrossworld) and and Jesse Anthony (6X Nat'l cross champion) were the guidance for the Concours build. Stu's store, Bay Road Bikes in Hamilton, MA becomes a cross eye candy delight this time of year. Jesse did the majority of the assembly.

BK