PDA

View Full Version : 98 degrees - convince me to ride

LegendRider
06-28-2012, 04:08 PM
It's 98 degrees. Would someone please try to convince me to do the Thursday night group ride?

paulh
06-28-2012, 04:11 PM
It will be "epic".

thinpin
06-28-2012, 04:12 PM
It's 98 degrees. Would someone please try to convince me to do the Thursday night group ride?

No. Go a cold beer instead.

cmg
06-28-2012, 04:14 PM
it will be cooler by the time it's ride time or at some point you'll be riding into a headwind. it's 97 degrees in SA but this is after 100+ earlier this week. this maybe the cool day. i'll be riding.

firerescuefin
06-28-2012, 04:18 PM
Become injured for awhile, where you can't ride period....all weather looks happily rideable afterward. I actually enjoy riding in the heat YMMV

azrider
06-28-2012, 04:19 PM
so weak......i'm not missing mine......:)

Scottsdale
http://s.imwx.com/img/wxicon/52/32.png

Day Jun 28
107°F
HighSunny

witcombusa
06-28-2012, 04:22 PM
sip a favorite cool beverage under the A/C unit...

there will be other days (nights)

if it ain't fun, what's the point?

zap
06-28-2012, 04:26 PM
For me it's not the temp but the air quality.

esldude
06-28-2012, 04:31 PM
Just finished a moderate ride which started at 98 degrees and 102 when finished. I live in the south where we expect low to mid 90's with lots of humidity. Today's ride at the lower humidity really wasn't too bad at all. I guess it is just what you get used to riding in.

Rada
06-28-2012, 04:33 PM
It's 103 here in SW Ohio.

bluesea
06-28-2012, 04:37 PM

I'd like to say go for it, but not much I should say because I cancel if the road is wet.

vqdriver
06-28-2012, 04:42 PM
hehe, difference between the coasts i guess. people who get a real winter impress me with their ability to ride regardless of wind, rain, snow. heat? 98 degrees??????? HA. that's a typical summer day here. hell, even autumn. i even recall a christmas day pushing 100 back in high school

KidWok
06-28-2012, 05:04 PM
I used to live in Albuquerque, NM...the worst part about riding wasn't the air temp, but the radiant heat from the pavement. After being out for a few hours, the whole bottom of my foot just felt like it was on fire.

Grab a couple of small ziplock bags and stuff them full of ice...thrown them in your jersey pocket...that oughta keep you cool. I used to tear a small hole in the corner and let them drip out...they'd drip onto my shorts and evaporate before they ever got a chance to drip down my leg. Made for some funky dried up salt patterns on the shorts afterwards.

Just go ride...you won't regret it afterwards!

Tai

Louis
06-28-2012, 05:08 PM
98* ? That's a cold front.

If you do ride drink a lot.

rugbysecondrow
06-28-2012, 05:11 PM
No. Go a cold beer instead.

Cheers. Riding is an activity, like many others...just choose another.

Seramount
06-28-2012, 05:31 PM
it was 107F on Tues at ride time.

it was 104F yesterday when I rode.

it's only 98F today, won't even break triple digits.

it's easy peezy. just throw a leg over and start pedaling.

oliver1850
06-28-2012, 05:33 PM
98 at 5:30 in Moline, heat index is 115. I'm headed out for a bit, but probably not more than 2 hrs.

Brian Cdn
06-28-2012, 05:47 PM
90 F here in the South Western Ontario / Toronto area.

Sure beats riding thru the snow

dnades
06-28-2012, 05:51 PM
just think how 'plush' your ride will be with melting tires. Imagine the corneriing. Consider the puzzle: my tire is only touching the 120 degree tarmac on one spot at any point in time and is getting aircooled the rest of the time- so why do they get sooo soft? Be thankful you have no red lights to stop at to reduce the 'wind' that is keeping you from boiling over. Your pores will thank you. The feel of a cool shower after the ride. The softness of your pillow as you sleep the sleep of the dead...

witcombusa
06-28-2012, 06:01 PM

I'll take the snow anytime!

2LeftCleats
06-28-2012, 07:06 PM
104* here. Did 30 miles but didn't push the pace much. The heat really saps the strength. Climbing some steep hills I visited heart rates I haven't seen in several years.

AngryScientist
06-28-2012, 07:07 PM
After the gin thread, I came home from work and started in on the g&t's. I don't get paid to ride, so I can make these epic decisions :banana:

rugbysecondrow
06-28-2012, 07:11 PM
After the gin thread, I came home from work and started in on the g&t's. I don't get paid to ride, so I can make these epic decisions :banana:

Amen

wooly
06-28-2012, 07:13 PM
Oh go for it. You'll be glad you did after but you'll probably hate it during the ride. Just bring enough to drink. I went out to Palm Desert, Ca, last weekend. Now I know why it's offseason! My buddy and I went out for a ride at 9.30 and it was 90*. By the time we got back at noon it was 100*. It would have been bearable if we didn't run out of water with 5 miles to go and a long false flat.

dogdriver
06-28-2012, 07:15 PM
Get all Zen about it and treat it as a chance to see how your body handles the stress. Used to road ride over 100' all the time when I lived in AZ-- drank LOTS of water, but it was surprisingly manageable. Beers afterwards.

CNY rider
06-28-2012, 07:30 PM
Not for me, thanks.
I'm in upstate NY, I never see heat like that enough to acclimate.
Last Thursday and Friday we were close to 90F and very humid. I did the 15 mile work commute both days; it didn't seem that bad.
Ended up doing nothing on Saturday. Just laid in the hammock with a book. Completely fatigued and punked out from riding in that heat.

Commute by bike when it's 0F out? Sure, no problem.
100F? Nope.

Tony T
06-28-2012, 09:16 PM
For me it's not the temp but the air quality.

SAme here. If it's a dry 98° just carry extra water.

jghall
06-28-2012, 09:38 PM
105 for us. Got out for a short ride. It was somewhat brutle. Even the wind was hot. Was nice to get a sweat out though.

CSTRider
06-28-2012, 10:24 PM
One trick i use in extremely hot sunny temps is to soak my jersey in warm water before heading out. Gently squeeze it out (don't wring it) so it isn't dripping wet before putting in on. Warm water makes the jersey more comfy initially (the chill is nearly intolerable with cold water), and it provides a nice cooling effect as soon as you start riding. This provides about 30-40 minutes of evaporative cooling in low humidity conditions, a bit longer in high humidity. Put your cell and other water sensitive valuables you normally carry in a ziplock bag.

Hawker
06-29-2012, 09:51 AM
Here in GA it's not the heat as much as it is the humidity, which can be 75-80% range easy. By the time I pump up my tires I'm a sweaty mess. If I don't ride by 9am, I probably don't ride.

But at least I'm not dealing with forest fires like our friends in CO.

Karin Kirk
06-29-2012, 11:04 AM
One trick i use in extremely hot sunny temps is to soak my jersey in warm water before heading out. Gently squeeze it out (don't wring it) so it isn't dripping wet before putting in on. Warm water makes the jersey more comfy initially (the chill is nearly intolerable with cold water), and it provides a nice cooling effect as soon as you start riding. This provides about 30-40 minutes of evaporative cooling in low humidity conditions, a bit longer in high humidity. Put your cell and other water sensitive valuables you normally carry in a ziplock bag.

Great suggestion, especially the part about using warm water. Halfway through a Moab mtb ride I took off my jersey and dunked it in a stock tank of cool water. It was nearly impossible to put the jersey on afterward - so cold! Counterintuitive. But yeah the evaporative cooling effect is magical.

Hawker
06-29-2012, 11:17 AM
Great suggestion, especially the part about using warm water. Halfway through a Moab mtb ride I took off my jersey and dunked it in a stock tank of cool water. It was nearly impossible to put the jersey on afterward - so cold! Counterintuitive. But yeah the evaporative cooling effect is magical.

Wow...never would have considered warm water. Will definitely try this out.
Thanks!

KidWok
06-29-2012, 11:56 AM

Nice...miss Toronto! I was there for a month in February many years ago. Cool town...literally and figuratively speaking.

Tai