PDA

View Full Version : Logic of running bigger tires with Belgium/A23/other wide rims?

MattTuck
06-28-2012, 02:39 PM
As I understand it, the HED Belgium was designed to change the shape of the tire and the profile of the contact patch for better handling.

Do you end up losing that advantage when you go to 25 or 27mm tires? Or is the rationale that the wide rims even with wide tires are still better than big tires on traditional rims?

crownjewelwl
06-28-2012, 02:51 PM
wider tires + wider rims = better combo

if you think about the logic of 23s on a wider rim, you're trying to avoid the lightbulb profile of the tire...this profile would be even more exaggerated with a 25 or 27

at least that's what my lbs said and i'm sticking with it

i run firecrest rims with 25s and it is a nice combo

54ny77
06-28-2012, 03:07 PM
i've got velocity a23's, have ran both 23 and 25 sizes in really good & light tires (conti gp 4000s) as well as more rugged training tires (conti ultra gatorskin). honestly, can't really tell the difference between 23 vs. 25 given the roads i ride on. they do ride great with both, i'll say that much. i typically run around 95lbs of pressure.

when it really comes down to it, i'm not that picky or overtly sensitive to it.

that's my $0.02.

Bruce K
06-28-2012, 03:21 PM
I'll try to ask HED in the next day or two and see if i can get an "official" answer.

Stuff already posted makes sense.

BK

Rueda Tropical
06-28-2012, 03:25 PM
You will get a wider rounder profile with a 28 on a 23 rim then on a skinnier rim. So more rubber on the road.

Won't be as aero as the 23 on a 23 but for rims like the A23 and Belgian that's not an issue.

Gat64
06-28-2012, 04:42 PM
I have been running 25s (vittoria evo cx) on my C2 rims and I notice much more controlled cornering than 23s of the same tire on my older mavic rims. As well, running 95 psi gives a nice cushy ride!

dave thompson
06-28-2012, 07:10 PM
I run 25 & 28 tires on C2 and A23 rims. Love the ride and handling on both. No downsides that I've found.

Dromen
06-28-2012, 07:30 PM
I run 23 michelin pro3's on C2s and they measure 25. 28 Schwalbe ZX on A23 they measure 30.7. Much better handling and feel than any of my 19mm rims with 23/25's

Not sure if this is on topic, just saying.

jlwdm
06-28-2012, 08:47 PM
I'll try to ask HED in the next day or two and see if i can get an "official" answer.

Stuff already posted makes sense.

BK

I emailed HED about tires to use with the Ardennes in March 2008 and got the following response from Andy Tetmeyer:

"Anything from 22 to 52. 22 to 24 work best for the road. -andy"

Jeff.

Black Dog
06-28-2012, 09:21 PM
I run a 25 on the rear of my HED C2's and a 24 on the front. Never more than 90psi in the rear and 85 in the front. I am running a conti GP4000 on the back and a GP on the front. I switched from 23's and find that it gives a better ride and is certainly not slower. The conti tires tend to measure under their nominal size.

rspecker
06-29-2012, 12:40 AM
I run 25 & 28 tires on C2 and A23 rims. Love the ride and handling on both. No downsides that I've found.

Not to change the topic . . .

I need wheels for a new bike and I've been reading through old threads on the A23 and C2 (and the C2 unavailability).

I'm thinking A23 with WI hubs.

But the A23 have received some mixed reports for quality control and similar.

Dave--any feedback on the wheels generally that you can share?

The alternative seems to be Ardennes SL or LT from HED factory build. Downside of that is price and not as much fun as ordering from a builder.

jlwdm
06-29-2012, 04:57 AM
Although I have Ardennes, I would have a hard time buying HED pre-builds in the future based on how HED is treating many wheel builders. Bad move on HED's part and I will not support it.

Jeff

DRZRM
06-29-2012, 05:53 AM
rspecker, from my understanding, Velocity is moving (or has moved) production of rims to the USA (Florida right?) and during that move there has been limited availability of stock and difficulty with customer service. I've not heard of issues of quality control. I know that once things are up and running they will release an offset A23 rim which should build up a stronger wheel for Campy users. That's what I'm holding out for, I have a pair of DT Swiss 240s just waiting for those rims. BTW I have two wheels built with HED Belgium C2s that I am very happy with. I'm only switching because of HEDs decision to stop supplying wheelbuilders with their rims.

To answer the OP, I run 25 or 28mm wheels on my HEDs. I'd never thought about whether it replicates the lightbulb shape, but it does not seem to. I like the shape of both 28s on the road and my larger CX tires on the wider rims, maybe they would be even better on a 25mm wide rim.

thinpin
06-29-2012, 06:45 AM
No matter how you look at it a 25mm tyre on a 23mm rim is going to have a more rounded profile than say a 23mm tyre on a 19mm rim. I can't tell the difference between 25 and 23 tyres on my HEDs or Velocities.

Dromen
06-29-2012, 06:55 AM
Closed production in Aussie and move to FLA this year. Bought some aussie A23s silver with silver spokes and WI silver hubs.....excellento! Those 28s in the pics are as big as they look....30.7mm! Can't tell the rolling diff from the 23 mich PR3's i have on C2s. Then again i have been accused of being insensitive.

Pics in Custom Image section i think IF Club Racer or IF CR

oldpotatoe
06-29-2012, 07:26 AM
i've got velocity a23's, have ran both 23 and 25 sizes in really good & light tires (conti gp 4000s) as well as more rugged training tires (conti ultra gatorskin). honestly, can't really tell the difference between 23 vs. 25 given the roads i ride on. they do ride great with both, i'll say that much. i typically run around 95lbs of pressure.

when it really comes down to it, i'm not that picky or overtly sensitive to it.

that's my $0.02.

What he said. Built and tried a lot of wide rims, fatter tires...but on my rain bike, with DT 585, 25c tires and 95 psi(I'm .1 offa ton, BTW), they all feel about the same to me.

Only real difference is when I ride the bike with tubulars, that really is a big 'feel' difference.

IMHO, YMMV, BLAH, BLAH

oldpotatoe
06-29-2012, 07:29 AM
Not to change the topic . . .

I need wheels for a new bike and I've been reading through old threads on the A23 and C2 (and the C2 unavailability).

I'm thinking A23 with WI hubs.

But the A23 have received some mixed reports for quality control and similar.

Dave--any feedback on the wheels generally that you can share?

The alternative seems to be Ardennes SL or LT from HED factory build. Downside of that is price and not as much fun as ordering from a builder.

Built more than a few A23(and the tubular version, major Tom), and have seen zero quality control issues...all very flat, round when new, no returns of the wheels I have built, no issues of keeping them true, etc. One thing for sure, if a customer is unhappy, you will hear about it..haven't heard nuthin re-A23.