PDA

View Full Version : Sealed cables (FD) around a pulley?

jwb96
06-28-2012, 01:51 PM
My foul-weather bike has a set of Gore sealed cables waiting to be installed. Going this route mainly for rear shifting performance. But on the front, trying to figure out if I should use the sealed or not because it's a cross bike with top-tube routing, down around a pulley. Haven't tried it yet so maybe the answer will become obvious, but end the sealed housing above the pulley or run it through the pulley? Or use non-sealed on the front?

Thanks,
Jim

jds108
06-28-2012, 02:04 PM
Can't have the housing running over the pulley - the housing has to stay fixed in place.

Mark McM
06-28-2012, 02:26 PM
The sealed liner is to prevent friction from muck and guck in housing. There's no need to run the liner past the last piece of housing, so the lining can end after the last piece of housing. For TT routed front derailleur cables, the lining is usually cut (and lining seal installed) just after the seat tube cable stop.

jwb96
06-28-2012, 05:22 PM
The sealed liner is to prevent friction from muck and guck in housing. There's no need to run the liner past the last piece of housing, so the lining can end after the last piece of housing. For TT routed front derailleur cables, the lining is usually cut (and lining seal installed) just after the seat tube cable stop.

That's what I was thinking. Thanks!