PDA

View Full Version : Campy Triple help

Ahneida Ride
06-28-2012, 01:23 PM
My sweet 2002 first generation Record Triple group / with TA Zephy crank
is going on my new Bedford.

I'd like to duplicate a Campy LC FD and Triple RD in 10 speed so I don't
have to purchase new wheels to rebuild the Legend.

I definitely need a Long Cage RD. I will use a TA Carmina Crank.

Do I use Athena? Race? Comp? Centaur?

I just can't seem to find any definitive answers.

HELP !!!!! :help:

or any body gots a slightly used 10sp Campy LC RD and triple FD ?

Why is this sooooooo confusing ?

gone
06-28-2012, 02:19 PM
I've got a long cage 10s rear derailleur and a clamp on triple front derailleur. The clamp size is 35mm. They have 4,385 miles on them and I paid $54.95 for the front derailleur and $119.95 for the rear derailleur. I just sold the frame they were mounted on and was going to keep them as backups for another triple equipped bike I have but since that group also has fewer than 5k miles on it, it'll likely be a long time before they're needed.

PM me with an offer if you're interested.

Ahneida Ride
06-28-2012, 03:26 PM
PM sent

oliver1850
06-28-2012, 03:41 PM
All the 10 speed long cage RDs will work fine, so your choices are: Veloce, Centaur, Chorus, Record, plus Champ, Race (not Racing), and Comp Triples.

The medium cage rears are rated for 36 tooth total capacity. I'm running one with a Race Triple 32/42/52 crank and a 12-25 cassette with no problem, and they're probably fine with a 13-26 as well.

Pretty much the same choices on FDs. Any of the modern 9/10s with the triple cage should be fine. Veloce 10 triple is at far right of the pic. Once you can recognize the cage, they are quite easy to spot. Often ebay sellers don't know what they have, but if you see this cage, it's a triple.

Pete Mckeon
06-28-2012, 07:18 PM
[make sure an adapter is available for front if seat tube size is matched.

as to wheels and , give me a call and i have a pair of campy DT hubs and open pro for you - - if you need another pair. PETE

ps let me know via phone what else you need for it - might be in my basement
i will be up that way in another month or so.....:)

QUOTE=oliver1850;1163244]All the 10 speed long cage RDs will work fine, so your choices are: Veloce, Centaur, Chorus, Record, plus Champ, Race (not Racing), and Comp Triples.

The medium cage rears are rated for 36 tooth total capacity. I'm running one with a Race Triple 32/42/52 crank and a 12-25 cassette with no problem, and they're probably fine with a 13-26 as well.

Pretty much the same choices on FDs. Any of the modern 9/10s with the triple cage should be fine. Veloce 10 triple is at far right of the pic. Once you can recognize the cage, they are quite easy to spot. Often ebay sellers don't know what they have, but if you see this cage, it's a triple.[/QUOTE]

Ahneida Ride
06-28-2012, 08:44 PM
Love ya Pete !!!!! :banana:

Got my Wheels !

May swap some bra for a Campy Comp RD and FD. :banana: :banana:

Dekonick
06-28-2012, 08:53 PM
Ray, what he said.

I am using NOS campy triple 10 speed - and like stated, you have plenty of choices. I am glad and find (regrettably) I need it more than I like...

Paul can attest...

One of these days I want to ride with ya!

Dek.

Ken Robb
06-28-2012, 11:25 PM
I ran TA Zephyr w/48-38-28 and 10 speed 13-29 with Medium cage Chorus RD and brifters from 2000-2001 I THINK. WORKED GREAT.

Ahneida Ride
06-29-2012, 07:31 AM
I ran TA Zephyr w/48-38-28 and 10 speed 13-29 with Medium cage Chorus RD and brifters from 2000-2001 I THINK. WORKED GREAT.

same here, except I run 48/36/22 rings .... LC rd

oldpotatoe
06-29-2012, 07:44 AM

If you want the long cage, Comp or Race(pretty scarce tho) RD and FD...Now made or the older Record thru Veloce triple stuff, all will work fine.

Ahneida Ride
06-29-2012, 01:44 PM
If you want the long cage, Comp or Race(pretty scarce tho) RD and FD...Now made or the older Record thru Veloce triple stuff, all will work fine.

That is what I thought ....
I see some NOS record stuff on flea bay for big frns. :eek:

what is the "Race" stuff ?

Ralph
06-29-2012, 02:23 PM
I run a Record Triple on one bike with 30-42-52 and either 13-26 or 13-29.

With a Medium cage RD. Both work fine.

Will also work with 30-42-53.

Only issue....I have to leave the little to little a little bit slack to have enough chain wrap to wrap big to big in 13-29....if I were to accidently shift to that..

jamaris
06-29-2012, 05:28 PM

I am going to post a long cage rear derailleur and triple record crankset later today. Take a look

Ken Robb
06-29-2012, 06:10 PM
same here, except I run 48/36/22 rings .... LC rd

I'm saving a new 24 cog for my old age.:banana:

Ken Robb
06-29-2012, 06:11 PM
I am going to post a long cage rear derailleur and triple record crankset later today. Take a look

I think you're too new to post for sale, but welcome to the forum.

Ralph
06-30-2012, 06:51 AM
Shortly after campy introduced 11 speed, they increased the capacity of their short cage RD to handle all combinations of cassettes and double chainrings combo's they sold in 11 speed. No med cage was needed for the 12-29 cassette.

I notice Veloce Medium Cage at that time also advertised increased capacity. No new Centaur Med cage design was introduced.

This fall...new Campy triple equipment is being introduced. I notice there will be the redesigned Centaur med cage RD for 10's. I plan to use that with the new 12-30 10's cassette, which I will probably change to a 13-30.

oldpotatoe
06-30-2012, 07:38 AM

Comp, Race, Champ..generally Centaur, Veloce and Xenon level of 'stuff'...Comp the only one that was really imported into the US tho.

oliver1850
06-30-2012, 12:03 PM

If you're referring to stuff labeled "Race Triple", that was the mid level group in 2008. That was the last year that more than one triple setup was offered.

Comp Triple is the best of the 3 groups and is basically Centaur level stuff, with the exception that the crankset still has the "good" rings which Centaur used to have, but since 2007 have been replaced with stamped Veloce rings on the double cranks. So the crank is actually a bit nicer than current Centaur.

Race Triple parts have turned up here at times. I have some cranks and maybe a FD, but I've not seen a rear one. It appears to me to be Mirage/Veloce level and has a black finish which isn't especially durable. I have a crank on my gravel road bike that started to show silver nicks from gravel thrown up by the wheels from the first time I rode it.

Champ Triple was the lowest offering. I haven't seen it in person, but I think the RD has the same plastic main body parts as 2008 Xenon. While Xenon was all black that year, the Champ crank was silver, and the RD black with a silver cage.

Comp Triple is the only triple group still in production. If you want long cage Chorus or Record you're going to be looking for stuff that's at least 6 years old. The long cage RDs were last made for the 2006 model year, mediums for 2008. There was an ebay seller that had a NOS Chorus listed earlier in the year for around $280. Akelman is aquainted with the seller, I think he has a shop in NY. I don't know if the listed one sold or if he had more of them. Bicycletricycle posted a PSA for a NOS Chorus he saw in an east coast LBS. There are a couple of Records on ebay right now, but they are used.

Brian Smith
07-02-2012, 08:31 PM
Although a crankset can be assembled this way, I have yet to see an indexed front derailer setup that can shift that range more than half as well as the range of the group which it accompanied as new. If you're a skilled shifter and can accept not shifting under load, your options widen significantly, but I don't think anything shifts that arrangement as well as might be desired. Bullseye crank with a quad tamer just *might* be harder to accommodate well.