PDA

View Full Version : OT: Cozumel Mexico

norcalbiker
06-27-2012, 12:40 PM
Thinking of taking the family for vacation.

Anyone here been to Cozumel Mexico?
What's there besides beach?

We went to Puerto Vallarta two years ago and we like it.

TIA

tuxbailey
06-27-2012, 12:47 PM
I read that snorkeling there is excellent!

I stop by there for half a day during a cruise trip but I didn't have time to do the snorkeling.

You can also rent a jeep and go visit the Mayan ruins.

MattTuck
06-27-2012, 12:56 PM
I know it isn't a big threat to the resort areas, but Mexico is having a pretty rough time of it with the competing cartels doing battle on the streets.

I'd read what the state department has to say about traveling there, and maybe pick another location until Mexico get's itself under control.

In my opinion, no reason to risk you or your family's safety for some good snorkeling.

Germany_chris
06-27-2012, 01:04 PM
Cozumel..

Bestest snorkeling experience until Egypt.

Bestest diving experience to date!!

Mr Cabletwitch
06-27-2012, 01:07 PM
Only thing I remember about cozumel was trying to buy a lighter and having some guy tell me he had one in back where he proceeded to try and sell me his sister with big gazungas. The jeep trip was pretty cool though and the ruins are neat.

GuyGadois
06-27-2012, 01:31 PM
Just stay clear of the food court at the Mexico City airport.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501843_162-57461239/3-policemen-shot-to-death-at-mexico-city-airport/

I LOVE Mexico and visit at least once every other year but I am going to suspend my family vacations there until things get better. We're going to travel the USA instead.

GG

norcalbiker
06-27-2012, 01:47 PM
I read that snorkeling there is excellent!

That's what I heard and kids love snorkeling

norcalbiker
06-27-2012, 01:49 PM
I know it isn't a big threat to the resort areas, but Mexico is having a pretty rough time of it with the competing cartels doing battle on the streets.

I'd read what the state department has to say about traveling there, and maybe pick another location until Mexico get's itself under control.

In my opinion, no reason to risk you or your family's safety for some good snorkeling.

I hear you loud and clear. I was also told that as long as you stay in the resort, you'll be alright. We went to Puerto Vallarta 2 years ago and we were fine. Infact, we went to local town almost everyday.

Thanks for your concern though.

norcalbiker
06-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Cozumel..

Bestest snorkeling experience until Egypt.

Bestest diving experience to date!!

We love snorkeling but not much of a diver. But it is good to hear.

Thanks

norcalbiker
06-27-2012, 01:51 PM
Only thing I remember about cozumel was trying to buy a lighter and having some guy tell me he had one in back where he proceeded to try and sell me his sister with big gazungas. The jeep trip was pretty cool though and the ruins are neat.

That's very funny. I'll make sure I wont ask for a lighter.

norcalbiker
06-27-2012, 01:53 PM
Just stay clear of the food court at the Mexico City airport.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501843_162-57461239/3-policemen-shot-to-death-at-mexico-city-airport/

I LOVE Mexico and visit at least once every other year but I am going to suspend my family vacations there until things get better. We're going to travel the USA instead.

GG

For family of 5, you just can't beat the price.

Seramount
06-27-2012, 04:17 PM
I'm a diver and have been there several times.

Coz is the first 'exotic' destination most newly-certified divers head to...it's all easy drift diving. corals are in ok shape, and the marine life is pretty colorful, but mostly small reef fish.

there's some higher octane diving at Devil's Throat which involves depths to 130-ish. Barracuda Reef can be somewhat of an advanced dive with ripping currents.

if you're not into the dive thing, as mentioned, there's decent snorkeling. be sure and do one at night, lots of different critters out.

if you're not in the water, there's limited things to do. rent a moped or Jeep and cruise the island. the mopeds are a hoot, but driving them in traffic makes road cycling look positively risk-free. have seen more than one severe accident involving them.

dining is pretty tourist-oriented and even US fast food (an effin KFC is one of the first things you see when leaving the ferry)...get off the main drag and look for places where the locals are eating.

on sundays, the locals put on their fancy clothes and congregate in the town square. makes for some good photo ops.

be prepared to be hassled by time share salesmen...I had to bribe the clown at our hotel with $20 to just leave me alone and not pester me with his incessant 'offers'...

and please don't buy any black coral jewelry...it's not environmentally kosher to support this industry.

avoid the cruise ship piers unless you enjoy watching obese, obnoxious pod people.

Coz used to be a rustic fishing village, but it's just a tourist haven now. wouldn't be overly concerned about narco-traffic safety issues there. but, it's Mexico...never know what can go down in that place.

staggerwing
06-27-2012, 04:39 PM
Went about three years back with the wife and three kids, although much further south in Chiapas State. Hooked up with a local, small, eco-tour group and had an unbelievably fantastic experience. Got to kayak down a remote jungle river, stay in an indigenous Mayan community, see some out of the way Mayan ruins (Yaxchilan, Bonapak, and a couple unmapped) and finished at Palenque. Our families were sure we were going to come home in body bags, if at all.

After the organized part of our trip ended, we took an overnight bus up to Akumal, which is about 60 miles south of Cozumel. Very, very laid back. Snorkel with the sea turtles in the bay just by swimming out, no guide needed. On the north end of the bay is Yal-ku lagoon, with a protected mix of gin-clear, fresh and salt waters, teaming with tropical fish. Small fee for Yal-ku.

Two weeks in Mexico, including flights and organized tour were less than it was going to cost for a family rafting trip in Utah. Of course, that was the year of the swine flu scare. Would love to go back again.

Jeff N.
06-27-2012, 05:04 PM
Used to spend lots of time in Mexico. No more. To much s**t goin' down.

HenryA
06-27-2012, 06:05 PM
You might look at Belize.
Though I've not been in years to that part of the world, I suspect Belize might be more secure than anywhere in Mexico.

mike p
06-27-2012, 06:48 PM
+ 1 on what Henry said. Was just in Belize this past winter for two weeks. Very poor country but an amazing place! Incredible diving and there's tons of stuff to do in country. Mayan ruins, pyramids, and rainforest. We spent a day rafting down a river through the rainforest and through caves. Lots of fun. People were great wherever we went. No issues with our safety at all. Still a very poor and undeveloped country. I don't think you'll find many if any all inclusive resorts. Takes a bit more planning but we loved it.

Mike

wc1934
06-27-2012, 07:57 PM
Stayed twice at an Iberostar all inclusive - Tucan and Grand Hotel) on the Riveria Maya - a bit outside Playa del Carmen.
Took a day trip to Cozumel - beautiful and peaceful but not sure if I could handle an extended stay. Friends went for 2 weeks and loved it.

scrubadub
06-27-2012, 10:26 PM
I've only been once to Cozumel and just for the diving. But if you want some non-touristy food, see if you can find Sabores (Avenida 5). It's a little restaurant tucked in someone's house and features different foods every day. We also liked the tacos at Las Seras and El Pique.

Germany_chris
06-28-2012, 12:37 AM
You might look at Belize.
Though I've not been in years to that part of the world, I suspect Belize might be more secure than anywhere in Mexico.

And belize has better on ground things..