PDA

View Full Version : Poor Frank....

azrider
06-27-2012, 11:18 AM
Just feel so bad for him.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/frank-schleck-says-he-wont-be-at-top-form-for-the-tour-de-france

“If the results are looked at, there will be criticism of me and I do not want that."

AngryScientist
06-27-2012, 11:22 AM
when you think about how many riders would give anything for a shot to ride the TdF, I say frank doesnt even deserve to get to ride with that attitude.

"dont expect much out of me, i'm tired"

shameful.

MattTuck
06-27-2012, 11:34 AM
Didn't Cunego win the giro a few years ago and then talk a big game about coming to the TDF ready to crush people, and ultimately didn't do well at all.

There's something to be said for knowing your own body at that level, and hitting peaks at the right time. I don't see it so much as whining, as just saying, "I don't have it this year." It is not exactly showing the competitive zeal, fight through anything, win or die trying attitude that we sometimes like to see, but it comes down to pretty simple science and math.

If even at 100%, he's unable to match the performances of other riders, there's no sense talking up his chances. If anything, this makes it a little easier to go for a stage win if he has a day where his legs feel good.

Earl Gray
06-27-2012, 11:38 AM
What a disgrace!

He should know that we only want honesty from athletes after they retire and are asked about how they cheated. Being honest about you condition pre-race is sacrilege.

tannhauser
06-27-2012, 11:46 AM
What a disgrace!

He should know that we only want honesty from athletes after they retire and are asked about how they cheated. Being honest about you condition pre-race is sacrilege.

But armchair quarterbacks know how to hold a middling semblance of "form" through a lifetime. Get with the "program"!

AngryScientist
06-27-2012, 11:49 AM
the world of cycling needs heros these days. heros do not give up, especially before the competition starts.

azrider
06-27-2012, 12:16 PM
Ryder: “It was always in my plan from the beginning of the year (to race the Tour),” Hesjedal told VeloNews. “It was mission accomplished for the Giro, so why not try for the Tour? Not racing the Tour just doesn’t make sense.”

I'd take this over Franks comments any day.

And as for the "math and science" behind Franks form, what has he done and what results has he accomplished with this 'great' level of fitness? An abandonment in Giro and 2nd place at TDSuisse??

True you can't go all season in top form and be expected to win everything all the time but he's not had any consistent results, and he's doing the same races as other Tour contenders. I haven't heard any of them making same comments.

I personally just think he comes off as whining ("my little brother Andy isn't going to be my roommate and that stinks", "i can't maintain my form", "johan is mean to not invite Kim Anderson") totally unprofessional, and full of excuses.

temeyone
06-27-2012, 12:25 PM
Seriously! As a pro level rider, you have to possess some sort of tenacity just to justify the racing to yourself. Frank seems like he has a defeatist attitude, which is a shame because he's a great rider.

bambam
06-27-2012, 12:26 PM
Seems to make sense. He's not a good tim trialist and that hurts his chances.
Coming out with this statement might free him up for a stage win but more likely will help him get Kloden up the hills.

At least thats my thoughts.

67-59
06-27-2012, 12:32 PM
I'd love to be sitting across from him next time he renegotiates his contract....

slidey
06-27-2012, 01:22 PM
I get the feeling that Frank's career is on it's last legs. There's only so much you can carry on with all hype and minimal results.

Elefantino
06-27-2012, 01:24 PM
The Radio Shack-Nissan-Trek-Schleck preview video is appearing tonight on Comedy Central.

54ny77
06-27-2012, 01:43 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lnm55cd1PC1qa48wxo1_500.gif

Fixed
06-27-2012, 01:51 PM
But armchair quarterbacks know how to hold a middling semblance of "form" through a lifetime. Get with the "program"!

Is it fair to criticize a fan ?
Sports news shows are big bussiness it is what fans do .
IMHO
Cheers :)

JohnHemlock
06-27-2012, 04:20 PM
"there will be criticism of me and I do not want that" - Frank Schleck

"They can write whatever they like. It's easier to write about it than to do it." - Bernard Hinault

"I cannot ride with the top-most." - Frank Schleck

"I attack so others don't know I'm suffering." - Bernard Hinault

Everytime I read another lame quote from Frank, something opposite from Hinault pops in my head. Hmmm, I wonder why that is?

binxnyrwarrsoul
06-27-2012, 04:23 PM
He should maybe get a real job, you know one where, even if you don't feel like doing it, you still have to do it.

Fishbike
06-27-2012, 04:25 PM
Any competitor -- whether in the Super Bowl, Little League, Spelling Bee or TdF, should say he will try his best. The problem with FS' current attitude is that he does not even convey that he is trying. We all can respect and even applaud mediocre results if a competitor has heart.

tannhauser
06-27-2012, 04:45 PM
Is it fair to criticize a fan ?
Sports news shows are big bussiness it is what fans do .
IMHO

I'm not criticizing an anonymous fan for not having form. My point is form for an elite rider is fleeting.

Fixed
06-27-2012, 04:51 PM
I'm not criticizing an anonymous fan for not having form. My point is form for an elite rider is fleeting.

I agree
cheers :)

William
06-27-2012, 04:54 PM

"They can write whatever they like. It's easier to write about it than to do it." - Bernard Hinault

Everytime I read another lame quote from Frank, something opposite from Hinault pops in my head. Hmmm, I wonder why that is?

Bernard Hinault helps Frank explore his feelings on pulling out of the Tour...

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs4/2326171_o.gif

Frank: Th-there will be criticism of me and I do not want that..

Bernard: Go ahead, dismount that smokewagon and see what happens...

Frank: [pauses, scared] M-mister, I cannot ride with the top-most.

Bernard: [slaps Frank across the face, unafraid] I'm gettin' tired of all your gas, now jerk that bike and go to work!

Bernard: [slaps him harder, now completely steely-eyed] I said throw down, boy!

:rolleyes:;):)
William

54ny77
06-27-2012, 04:55 PM
Frank, if you're reading this thread, click on a couple of these quotes will ya?

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard

"I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel!"

Awesome. :hello:

learningtoride
06-27-2012, 05:11 PM

azrider
06-27-2012, 06:30 PM
a lot of chatter about 'form' and only having small window to be at your peak.

Good thing no one told Sagan the rules.

2012 RESULTS

Tour of Oman
1st Points Classification
1st Stage 2

Tirreno–Adriatico
1st Stage 4

Three Days of De Panne
1st Stage 1

Tour of California
1st Stage 1
1st Stage 2
1st Stage 3
1st Stage 4
1st Stage 8

Tour de Suisse
1st Stage 1 (ITT)
1st Stage 3
1st Stage 4
1st Stage 6

1st National Road Race Champion

4th Milan – San Remo

2nd Gent–Wevelgem

5th Tour of Flanders

3rd Amstel Gold Race

Fixed
06-27-2012, 06:36 PM
There are riders then there are RIDERS
IMHO
Cheers

azrider
06-27-2012, 06:46 PM
IMHO
Cheers

You got that ride buddy. Will be VERY interesting to see what the kid does.

Frank on the other hand should stay at home and give his spot to someone else.

harryblack
06-27-2012, 06:47 PM
I hope all you Tom Danielson apologists can hold your line...

Frank's a head case but likable... Danielson's a head case and a doosh... tho' yah, King of Mt. Washington... just like Tugboat Hamilton was, woo!!

Jason E
06-27-2012, 06:50 PM
I think the worst part of this is that he still there and Fulsang was begging to go ride. He should realize he sounds ungrateful while others on his own team would kill for that spot.

You want to think something gets lost in translation. It probably doesn't.

tannhauser
06-27-2012, 06:51 PM
Sagan is ridiculous.

ultraman6970
06-27-2012, 07:02 PM
Agree... well fulsang was screwed up because of his mouth. He is right IMO but should have kept everything low profile.

Agree that FS is just a crying baby. He never wanted the position of contender for the team, his darn brother is not in the race (wonder who is the catcher when they are together), problems with the management also. He should at least to try his best, everybody knew he was off shape since months ago, if an all arounder smoke you in a climb finish is because you are sucking big time.

Hope they replace him so his brother has somebody to watch the TdF in the Tv with.

Personally i was trying to hire this sucker i would take his words pretty seriously because the guy is basically done IMO, his brother probably too.

I think the worst part of this is that he still there and Fulsang was begging to go ride. He should realize he sounds ungrateful while others on his own team would kill for that spot.

Fixed
06-27-2012, 07:08 PM
F.s. = metrosexual He is a sensitive guy
P.s. = monster sensation he has to win

1centaur
06-27-2012, 07:14 PM
I think it's funny how the Schlecks and Johan like to send messages in the media and then claim to have worked it out in private and it's no big deal. So dysfunctional.

Frank is signalling that he wants out and his new maybe sponsor shouldn't hold his result against him, IMO. He knows he does not care about the Shack's results because he's history and he doesn't dig Johan. He's not so clueless that he would just do the wimp thing before his sport's main event and think that's what sports stars do.

More opportunity for Horner to free agent his way to the top of the RSNT stack. Silver lining. Good thing Johan's not going - really, what would he say into the radio, "C'mon guys, push, Andreas has a chance for 7th?"

When's the first stage that Frank can lose 4 minutes because he's not on top form? Looks like Stage 7. Top 100 in the prologue, over/under? Could Cancellara be in yellow on day one and then have a team in disarray defend the jersey for a week? Gotta love the soap opera.

gasman
06-27-2012, 07:25 PM
Sagan is ridiculous.

???Good or bad ??

I'm impressed with the kid btw.

firerescuefin
06-27-2012, 07:32 PM
I hope all you Tom Danielson apologists can hold your line...

Frank's a head case but likable... Danielson's a head case and a doosh... tho' yah, King of Mt. Washington... just like Tugboat Hamilton was, woo!!

Ironic you would use the word "doosh"

tannhauser
06-27-2012, 07:35 PM
???Good or bad ??

I'm impressed with the kid btw.

Ridic -- as in extra terrestrially, absurdly GOOD!

He won't win a grand tour though...yet.

ultraman6970
06-27-2012, 07:55 PM
Horner is the best shot they have. Kloden has done nothing this year. As for FC, i dont see him wining the prologo at all this year.

More opportunity for Horner to free agent his way to the top of the RSNT stack. Silver lining. Good thing Johan's not going - really, what would he say into the radio, "C'mon guys, push, Andreas has a chance for 7th?"

When's the first stage that Frank can lose 4 minutes because he's not on top form? Looks like Stage 7. Top 100 in the prologue, over/under? Could Cancellara be in yellow on day one and then have a team in disarray defend the jersey for a week? Gotta love the soap opera.

JonB
06-27-2012, 09:16 PM
The Radioshack team has been a trainwreck this year.

Bruyneel-doping ringleader
A.Schleck-can't stay on his bicycle
Cancellara crashing at l'enfer du nord
Horner-TDF rider?
Kloden-backstabber

Too many cultures trying to blend too quickly has lead to a truly disfunctional team.

gasman
06-27-2012, 10:20 PM
Ridic -- as in extra terrestrially, absurdly GOOD!

He won't win a grand tour though...yet.

I agree. Not sure he's GC material but what do I know ?

MattTuck
06-27-2012, 10:30 PM
The Radioshack team has been a trainwreck this year.

Bruyneel-doping ringleader
A.Schleck-can't stay on his bicycle
Cancellara crashing at l'enfer du nord
Horner-TDF rider?
Kloden-backstabber

Too many cultures trying to blend too quickly has lead to a truly disfunctional team.

Fabian actually crashed at the Tour of Flanders... but I agree that it has been a train wreck on that team. internal team politics played out in the media is never a good way to run a team.

Fixed
06-27-2012, 10:35 PM
I agree. Not sure he's GC material but what do I know ?

Sagan against Cav. And Gilbert . In the tour Sagan is very versatile .
I am a fan of all three.

JohnHemlock
06-27-2012, 10:50 PM
There have always been a good share of teams that were dysfunctional ****shows. Riders hate the DS, riders dislike each other, sponsors are venal dingbats, etc. With social media, everyone can air their petty grievances in real time and then we can comment on those petty grievances in real time. Not sure RS is much different than teams from 30 years ago or 60 years ago.

slidey
06-28-2012, 01:56 AM
But there's only one Ryder ;)

IMHO
Cheers

merlincustom1
06-28-2012, 05:56 AM

Fuglsang isn't riding because his UCI points will go elsewhere next year. It's a ridiculous system that needs modification.

BryanE
06-28-2012, 06:27 AM

The Badger
VS
The Marshmellow

ultraman6970
06-28-2012, 11:26 PM
I believe he is saying something else now. Cant remember where I read it but pretty much he is happy to race and will try to win... clearly is for the press :D