PDA

View Full Version : How much would you pay for a local cycling event?

BumbleBeeDave
06-27-2012, 09:51 AM
How much would you pay to participate in a semi-local cycling fondo type event?

Here’s why I ask . . . I participated in the Centurion Cycling event in Lake George this past Sunday. I rode the century on Sunday, when there was also a 50 miler. The event started Friday evening with a hill climb on Prospect Mountain, then 25 mile and kids rides on Saturday, with an expo, food available, and an (outdoor? Wasn’t there) movie on Saturday evening.

Their motto is “Racers can race, riders can ride,” so everybody was chipped and there was a KOM at mile 70 climbing the access road to the Gore Mountain ski area. There were prizes for the racers. The rides Sunday were very well run, with very clearly marked course and 14 different points on the 100 course with police presence to direct traffic. There were also five rest areas with water, Gatorade, bananas, and gels. There was also a small expo at the finish, free food for finishers and first beer for free, and the streets in Lake George were very well marked off, with half of the 4 lane Route 9 barreled off for us and traffic re-routed for the finish.

Those were the pros, IMHO. The cons, also IMHO, were that they ran out of gels pretty quickly, and bananas at several rest stops. The post-ride food was also pizza, which I guess is good or bad depending on your preference.

After the ride I was talking with one of the organizers, and he was lamenting the lack of success in getting participation from local cycling clubs, and locals in general. This company has also done events near Buffalo and also several over in Ontario, so there were lots of Canadians who had made the 8 hour drive to be able to do it. But he was right—I didn’t see any recognizable faces from our local clubs.

This route was on local roads that I could have ridden myself, so the “experience” is the motivator for a local. This event was $109 for the century.

Too much to pay?

What else would they have to offer in the experience to make it worth that for a local ride?

What would a more reasonable price be?

BBD

redir
06-27-2012, 10:26 AM
I would never pay $109 dollars to ride roads that I can ride on every day. I'm not sure I'd pay anything for that really. There is one local century I do, I still have to drive to it, and it costs $10. They offer porta-johns and a SAG vehicle. That's all I would really need. I can't stand how prices for this stuff have gone up so high in the last decade. I was gonna do a stage race this weekend that cost $85 but that's an actual race and having promoted races in the past I know how expensive they can be. Even that seems a bit much. I never really cared for the 'competition' in cookie rides either. If I paid $109 to do a century then I would stop at every stop and at least get some monies worth.

pdmtong
06-27-2012, 10:55 AM
The most I have paid is $145 for the levi gran fondo.

They do an excellent, let me repeat, excllent job with road closure (first 20-30 miles are car free...), highway patrol intersection control and rest stop food. SAG and emergency as well, judging by the helicopters and ambulances who were hauling off the idiots who thought they were pro's. The only issue I felt was a lot of the good food at the end had been scarfed by the shorter distance riders so not much choice for me when I came in after doing the century. That ride I can see being worth flying in for. The views and the roads are great. Its not a place I would normally ride, so I paid and thats what gets the amgen into santa rosa every year.

As for local rides...I dont do those anymore. I can just ride those myself anytime.

PaMtbRider
06-27-2012, 11:06 AM
I am not sure what my limit is for a local ride, but I know it is less than $109. If we are traveling out of town and have the option for a ride like you described I would probably pay that amount.

Mr Cabletwitch
06-27-2012, 11:15 AM
As a broke 30 something father I have to say there is no way I would pay $109 dollars to do a century. I honestly don't understand everyone's fascination with group rides. Around here that's all people talk about, we averaged this on this ride blah blah blah... Most of the group rides people plan out are on the flattest roads possible just so they can say they averaged 20mph. Me I just grab my bike and when I start to get tired I make my way home. Its amazing how easy it is to find your way around just by keeping an eye on which way north is. To me though cycling is an adventure so getting out by myself or with a few friends is what draws me in. I enjoy the freedom I get being on my bike knowing that I could ride wherever I want and the only thing I need is food and water.

Ti Designs
06-27-2012, 11:37 AM
I'm all done paying for rides as well. I can see paying a fair amount for food at rest stops and such, but most of the bigger rides go way past that. I passed on the B2B this year, I don't do charity rides because they imply that riding that distance is somehow suffering for a cause. I really don't see the point in huge rides because the riders all go different speeds and so few people understand drafting and group ride dynamics that it's more like lots of little groups and a whole bunch of confusion as they pass or get passed. At some point it makes more sense to find people you can ride with and organize your own rides.

geargirl
06-27-2012, 11:49 AM
Over the past 10 years or so, I've done a lot of organized rides. Many of them were in my immediate area and didn't require what I would consider travel and were on roads that I could have ridden for free if I was so inclined. My reasons for participating were varied but included the desire to ride a scenic route that offered some traffic control and in the company of a group and wanting to support a local organization. I can't recall ever paying more than $50-$60 for a century length ride and if I had to put a price tag on it, I think that would be about my limit of reasonableness. There are always exceptions if there are some added benefits (like some portion going to a charity I might like to support, t-shirts, etc.), but IMHO the entry fee would have to be in that range in order to attract local cycling groups to participate.

That being said, I did just pay significantly more than that to participate in an event (ride, not race) that was in a "destination" we wanted to visit. The particular event is well established and sells out every year very quickly so with that kind of demand the RDs don't have any trouble getting the entry fees.

GregL
06-27-2012, 11:51 AM
$109 for a "local century / citizens race"? No thanks. For $30/year, my entire family rides with a local cycling club which has scheduled rides and races 5-6 times per week AND two centuries per year. The second century is fully supported, has post-ride food, and has a nominal (~$20) entry fee which is donated to a charity in memory of a much-loved past club president. I have no interest in paying for a "for-profit" century.

- Greg

TMB
06-27-2012, 12:03 PM
The responses here, and the "positions" of people are unlikely to be any different than any other time the topic of paying for Gran Fondo's has come up.

Bruce K
06-27-2012, 12:08 PM
109 seems pretty steep for what was provided

Most events in that range usually include a jersey or other significant souvenir

35 to maybe 50 if there is a local cause

Major causes/events could get 100 from me

BK

572cv
06-27-2012, 12:15 PM
I participate in a charity century, the Prouty, which benefits the Norris Cotton Cancer Center at Dartmouth Hitchcock Hospital. You have to "raise" $150 minimum, which means you can fork over $150, or get your employer to match,or get friends to contribute, whatever. It is very well run, is an excellent cause, etc. So that seems to me to be ok.

There's another one that benefits the library in Montpelier, which runs about $50 as a benefit and you get a tee shirt. Also fair.

The most expensive one I've done which wasn't a charity was also $50, and they also gave you a tee shirt, but the food wasn't as good. Neither was the tee shirt design, though the fabric was of good quality.

CNY rider
06-27-2012, 12:18 PM
Local ride to benefit a hospital, scouts, other good charitable cause? Sure, I guess I will pony up $100 for the cause.
Otherwise no way am I paying to ride my local roads.

Tom
06-27-2012, 12:59 PM
I thought about doing the one BBD speaks of but balked at the price and a drive to the ride but rethought it when I got an email that would get me in for half price and then came to my senses when I thought about a whole bunch of people without USCF licenses given chips and told to go as fast as they want but try not to run into anyone.

I didn't see that ending well.

On the other hand, they did close roads, pay a lot to various police departments to guard corners, pay a lot to townships to be allowed to ride through, pay a lot for food so the locusts could grab with both hands and rent or buy a lot of gear to support the whole thing. So maybe $110 isn't getting them rich. Plus they obviously spent a fair amount of money on web design.

Personally, I'd rather fill a bottle with drink mix, take some money and an extra tube and go ride for 8 hours by myself. Far more enjoyable.

The only races I'll do are UMCA. I like those rules.

I did the Prouty once, I'd do that one again. That was a good time riding with family.

OperaLover
06-27-2012, 01:31 PM
I paid over $250 for the Whistler Gran Fondo from Vancouver BC to Whistler. They shut down a whole lane of the Sea to Sky highway for the event. The safety and security of knowing you had a whole lane to ride in was worth the price of admission. One could truly enjoy the views without looking over your shoulder and worrying every time a logging truck or car rolled past.

Granted the weather was also perfect, so that made it great, but the finish line and celebration at the former Olympic venue was also incredible. Great support, food, etc.

http://www.rbcgranfondowhistler.com/

I am signed up for this year, too. Well worth it IMHO!

Other events, not so much. Still, I paid close to $100 to ride Seattle to Portland. It is the Cascade Bicycle Club's biggest fund raiser so I do it to support the organization and its outreach and advocacy programs. So while the ticket to ride might seem more than the ride is worth, I see my money as going to more than just the ride itself.

BumbleBeeDave
06-28-2012, 07:49 AM
The responses here, and the "positions" of people are unlikely to be any different than any other time the topic of paying for Gran Fondo's has come up.

. . . come to mind? I'd be interested in reading them.

BBD

jr59
06-28-2012, 08:19 AM
Here you go;

If it's a ride to support a cause I feel worthy of, and I feel needs help;
PRICELESS! As much as I can afford!
Like a ride to help the burned out people in Co. Or the flooded ones in Fl, or the tornado in Al. Then 100-250, it doesn't matter, if I can afford it.

God knows strangers have helped my city enough, and I will gladly give what I can back! (please note) I am not saying you should do this if you can not afford it, or if you don't think the cause worthy! If you can help, IMO; you should!

If it's just a ride, with a Sag, and a couple of rest stops, and a T;
about 25 bucks.

redir
06-28-2012, 08:50 AM
Slightly off topic but I never really understood the whole charity bike ride thing. If I like a charity I'll just give money if they need it. Or if a city is destroyed by a tornado or something then just go there and be a helping hand. I don't get how doing something fun is related to helping out. I guess it works but just seams weird to me.

jr59
06-28-2012, 09:04 AM
Slightly off topic but I never really understood the whole charity bike ride thing. If I like a charity I'll just give money if they need it. Or if a city is destroyed by a tornado or something then just go there and be a helping hand. I don't get how doing something fun is related to helping out. I guess it works but just seams weird to me.

I give my small amount quarterly. I give my time when I am able. But, when I can do something fun and help a cause, then I will really dig into my pockets! it's like a bonus plan.
I don't do it without research, and most every one gets a tiny bit, some are better run in my eyes so they get more.

As far as going to help, well that takes a long while. They don't let you near those type of places for a good little while. Most times, the people need help right away!

Tom
06-28-2012, 10:36 AM

Sometimes the only way to get people to help is give them a little sugar. Besides, if I'm going to be out dicking around on my bike then maybe I can take a little time to raise some bucks and cough up some of my own.

Giving for givings sake is a lot of fun, too. We sponsor a little art scholarship at a local high school in memory of one of my wife's classmates and we like to choose the kid that has a lot of talent but is a little different from the rest. I like going in after and checking out the work they have displayed. I've always been amazed at what some people can do.

fourflys
06-28-2012, 10:51 AM
BBD-
The most I paid was $100 for the 2nd San Diego Gran Fondo (was out of town on the first)... Mine went pretty much the same as yours except they had a pasta feed at the end and you got a nice jersey for your $100... without the jersey, I don't think I would have paid that much... I would probably paid around $50...

as far as paying for rides, it depends on the event... there is a ride I've done a few times here that supported a local school district... I have no problem throwing down $30ish for something like that or something like a Tour de Cure ride... I just look at it like any other charitable contribution, the fact I get to ride my bike while contributing is just a bonus! :D

redir
06-28-2012, 12:07 PM
Did I re-read the post correctly so see that it implies that there is a 'company' that puts on these events for profit? Hell with that! Yeah charity or even a local bike club making a profit would be better than some company going around making profits by over charging sport cyclists who could go out and ride on any road in the US any day of the year for free.

It never used to be like that. I have not done a whole lot of centuries but when one of my local ones went from like $30 to $75 I said the hell with it. I think $40 was the highest I ever paid for one and it was exceptionally well run.

illdthedj
06-28-2012, 12:10 PM
i will chip in with a newbie perspective...

so my wifey and I will be doing our very first organized ride this upcoming august. we ride all the time together, but have never participated in anything like this before.

we will be doing the metric century in Marin, Ca...
http://www.marincyclists.com/marincentury.com

it will be 80 bucks each, although it would have been much cheaper if we registered much earlier.

Heres my take on it:
80 dollars does seem like allot, however to know it is going to various good causes (various senior services, sports groups, youth and community organizations and health advocacy organizations) really makes it a much easier decision...

plus, being that the wifey and I pretty much just ride together (shes a pretty strong rider and ex-college athlete so they arn't just easy sunday rides) we dont know many other people and it would be nice to be in a very large group ride and get to know and meet other cyclists.

also, i grew up in Marin and it is very beautiful, so i know the ride will definitely be fun. plus i know the weather will be excellent. so being able to have a well marked course (also CHP patrolled) there without worrying about cars is a huge plus.

then theres food, of which i am a fan of :)
(copy paste from site)
•Fantastic rest stop food options
•Hot post ride feast - in the past this has included BBQ chicken, pizza, Chipotle burritos, vegetarian lasagna, salads, Eat My Cookies, ice cream and drinks.

so all in all, for a newb just starting to get more "serious" (not sure if thats the right word) about cycling it sounds like a good deal to me.

past 100 though i think it should include some other things like a jersey...and post-ride back massages haha

illdthedj
06-28-2012, 12:14 PM

i would say the event brings awareness to the causes or organization.
plus i think its a way to get people to donate to a charity that normally wouldn't.

lets just say i wouldn't normally donate to the organization that is benefitting the ride im going to go on in august. mainly because ive never heard of them before. in all honesty i was going to go on the ride for the sole purpose of going on an organized ride, then finding out the money for the ride was going to be a donation made it all the better. now that im aware of the organization, because of the ride, i might be inclined to donate on my own.

redir
06-28-2012, 12:19 PM
As for my charity comment I think I was thinking more along the lines of those type events where people get you to sponsor them for running or walking or riding or doing things they generally love to do to raise money for charity. It's probably a great thing and works but I always thought... Why give Bob $500 to go ride his bike, I'll just donate right away to <insert said charity>

fourflys
06-28-2012, 12:22 PM
Did I re-read the post correctly so see that it implies that there is a 'company' that puts on these events for profit? Hell with that! Yeah charity or even a local bike club making a profit would be better than some company going around making profits by over charging sport cyclists who could go out and ride on any road in the US any day of the year for free.

It never used to be like that. I have not done a whole lot of centuries but when one of my local ones went from like $30 to $75 I said the hell with it. I think $40 was the highest I ever paid for one and it was exceptionally well run.

I did the San Diego Gran Fondo (for profit) once to get the experience of a Fondo... I wouldn't do it again, but I would do a charity ride over again... I was replying above to your question about paying for a ride and your post implied that meant even charity rides... I don't regret paying for the Fondo, it was a lot of fun and I enjoyed it... not much different than paying to go see a professional sports team IMHO, it was purely entertainment... and I got to ride my bike while enjoying it! :banana:

BumbleBeeDave
06-28-2012, 12:32 PM
. . . there is a 'company' that puts on these events for profit?

It's a for profit.

BBD

Ahneida Ride
06-28-2012, 12:49 PM
30 private central bank irredeemable fiat shopping coupons .... at best

Jaq
06-28-2012, 01:46 PM
I'd pay for the Levi Gran Fondo. Was thinking about doing the Shasta Century. Gonna do Pike's Peak in a couple weeks; that last one, paying is mandatory, since the road's otherwise closed to cyclists. Shame that they cut it from 20 miles to 10, though.

As for making a profit... what the hell's wrong with making a profit? Making a profit is a good thing, not a bad thing. The Proletariat isn't being enslaved. The 1% isn't suddenly opting out of Wall Street to start putting together Gran Fondos because that's where all the money is.

Organizing a Fondo has got to be a nightmare. Hats off to anyone who can do it, make sure most of the participants have fun, and manage to make enough money to pay their rent, pay a couple bills, and still keep them interested in doing it again next year.

staggerwing
06-28-2012, 02:05 PM

This is a tough one. Many of the charity events have fallen into the "bigger, badder, better" trap. Even though the overriding organizer and benefactor is "non-profit", much of the high level support and logistics are hired out to "for profit" concerns.

I have not idea what the right answer is, but don't get the warm fuzzies when I hear about expenses exceeding 50% of gross. Would rather just mail a couple of anonymous C-notes to organizations I think are worth supporting, and figure out my own ride.

I also grinds my goat when an organization spends most of my sincere donation dinning me for more.

sworcester
06-29-2012, 10:25 AM
I do an organized ride almost every weekend. For us it is a matter of someone picking out 60-80 miles of safer roads than I have here (North Texas) and someone/something that tells me where to turn so I don't get lost.
Probably the most I have paid (they are a mix of a few for profit, mostly non-profit, Lyons,Rotary Pet Shelters) is $50 for a one day. Get drinks, Tshirt, etc. Most have police/volunteers at intersections, directing traffic, etc.

mvrider
06-29-2012, 12:02 PM
I enjoy organized rides of 50+ miles, because they do attract a wide variety of cycling enthusiasts. You see and talk to all sorts of people. I don't so much enjoy the rides where there are "family" options of 25 miles or less, because many of those folks are rather wobbly on the road.

However, I typically don't participate in organized rides in my own backyard. Between April and October, there is a ride almost every weekend somewhere in California, so I use it as an opportunity to see a corner of the state that I hadn't visited before.

Like some of others, I avoid big charity rides, especially with ones with obnoxious minimum fundraising limits. I have friends who still solicit donations for events like that, and I abstain. I just don't see how sweat makes a cause more deserving.

I've participated in one for-profit ride, the fall ride around Lake Tahoe. It was beautiful, but I didn't like the store-bought food, and the vibe from the paid staff.

My favorite rides are low-key, staffed by passionate volunteers, serving home-made baked goods, and raise money for local causes such as cycling clubs, senior centers, etc. Those rides are typically cheaper, perhaps $50-80. The Holstein Hundred is one favorite, passing through beautiful country. We plan to try the Healdsburg Harvest Century in 3 weeks.