PDA

View Full Version : Yee-gads-Ben doesn't want this?

oldpotatoe
06-26-2012, 08:04 AM
I would think he would want it for the 'archives', you know?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Serotta-Coors-Light-Softride-Campagnolo-Record-Grewal-60cm-61-63cm-David-Kirk-/280873116353

Cheap too...'bit of history'..don't you want it Dave?

Fixed
06-26-2012, 08:06 AM
good god the horror :eek::eek:
cheers

is that the new offering ?
clark kent a piece of **** ? hmm

redir
06-26-2012, 08:13 AM
Wow that sure is an interesting piece of work. Probably would fit me too.

keevon
06-26-2012, 08:15 AM
That's a looker.

mjb266
06-26-2012, 09:11 AM
I seem to remember this as a means of dealing with a broken back or something from a car/jeep accident.

Birddog
06-26-2012, 09:18 AM
If that's the same bike, Dave Kirk built it. I've seen it for sale more than a couple of times. Dave had some interesting insights into the build on an old thread.

David Kirk
06-26-2012, 09:24 AM
I seem to remember this as a means of dealing with a broken back or something from a car/jeep accident.

I think you're right - it was a Jeep accident that required the unusual position and of course the soft-ride took care of the rest of the unusual part.

I never got a chance to ride one of these and I'd like to be able to do that but do not have the urge to own one........I'm just not a collector of anything I guess.

One thing I regret is my harsh language about the Clark Kent version of the bike that I was asked to copy. I was out of line as I am at times. The bike I was asked to copy wasn't particularly well built to be honest but it didn't warrant my language.

I hope someone can buy this thing and bring it to montana for me to ride. That's not so much to ask is it? :)

dave

redir
06-26-2012, 09:45 AM
Yeah goes to show ya that anything we say here can be used against us :eek:

LegendRider
06-26-2012, 08:49 PM
I seem to recall Alex Stieda riding a Serotta Softride at crit in Atlanta (Tour de Town) many years ago. Dave, do you recall the bike? Did you build it?

Earl Gray
06-26-2012, 09:02 PM
I have always felt that the diversity in what serotta has produced over the years is unique for a company their size.

It is also what sets DK, DW and KB apart from the other bespokes

William
06-26-2012, 09:26 PM
I remember the original thread. More picts there...

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=62790

I'm looking but I can't find pictures of the Spectrum Beam bike that Tom Kellogg built for Stuart and now belongs to beungood.

William

David Kirk
06-26-2012, 09:29 PM
I seem to recall Alex Stieda riding a Serotta Softride at crit in Atlanta (Tour de Town) many years ago. Dave, do you recall the bike? Did you build it?

Maybe - I built a few bikes for Alex but he also had some softride branded bikes.

He is a super cool guy FWIW. I wonder what he's up to now?

dave

oliver1850
06-26-2012, 09:34 PM
Could we bury this thread? I'd like to buy the stupid frame, but the guy won't give me a saddle height dimension. 2 requests in the last 10 days, but no info. Frustrating.

rounder
06-26-2012, 09:59 PM
You should go for it. Cannot cost that much. Youra collector. It is not like collecting pet rocks. Serotta has imagination and builds good stuff.

pdmtong
06-27-2012, 01:11 AM
Amongst other things just goes to show internet commentary lasts forever...think twice type once

AgilisMerlin
06-27-2012, 05:27 AM
A very old friend, in town, used to race mtb bikes for trek and softride.

His softride gig was during the time bob roll was racing for the team. He has some interesting tales :eek:

btw: he loved his beam bikes, for some reason

William
06-27-2012, 07:46 AM
A very old friend, in town, used to race mtb bikes for trek and softride.

His softride gig was during the time bob roll was racing for the team. He has some interesting tales :eek:

btw: he loved his beam bikes, for some reason

The thing is, as much as others deride them, everyone I know who owned a Softride or custom versions of them loved them. I think it was likely a viable idea that just couldn't get past "the look" for most people.

William

Chance
06-27-2012, 08:08 AM
Nice looking bike. Just a guess that it must be quite heavy. That top tube looks highly stressed. Probably thick by present standards.

reggiebaseball
06-27-2012, 09:45 AM
This bikes merits posting in the "Freaks" Topic as well for sure.
Perhaps the ugliest combination of metalwork and paint, accentuated by the most outrageous tire selection.

Frankenbike to the Max!

William
06-27-2012, 09:55 AM
This bikes merits posting in the "Freaks" Topic as well for sure.
Perhaps the ugliest combination of metalwork and paint, accentuated by the most outrageous tire selection.

Frankenbike to the Max!

Sometimes the girl (or guy) who may not be the best looking is the most fun around.

Just sayin'

:)
William

bironi
06-27-2012, 10:58 AM
I wonder if the saddle flattens out with a body on the beam. A buddy rode a softride on PBP years back. He did say the bike forced him to spin well.

FlashUNC
06-27-2012, 11:17 AM
The devil's bike is a softride on 650c's with aero bars.

AgilisMerlin
06-27-2012, 07:14 PM
my buddy was living in greater New Haven when riding for softride, but maybe the precursor was proflex. He rode for a bunch of teams. I am sure he was on a beam though

here bob

http://mombat.org/593Proflex.jpg

ultraman6970
06-27-2012, 07:17 PM
I cant even imagine somebody doing road racing or criteriums in a softride. Wonder how many races AW did in that thing.

Birddog
06-27-2012, 08:05 PM
The devil's bike is a softride on 650c's with aero bars.

That's exactly what I had. I set many PRs on that bike and like others, loved it even though it weighed a ton. They did force you to be a good spinner. If you weren't you'd pogo on the bike. Mine was stolen or I'd likely still have it. If you could find one with enough clearance for large tires, it would make a great dirt road bike I think.