PDA

View Full Version : Faraday Bikes

mvrider
06-25-2012, 12:48 AM
For those who followed the Oregon Manifest, perhaps you recall the joint IDEO/Paul Sardoff project (http://oregonmanifest.com/2011/10/06/peoples-choice-winner/), an electric-assisted commuter bike?

Well, I saw it in the flesh today, outside a popular cyclist hang-out. Beautiful execution by Rock Lobster. I got to talk to Adam Vollmer, the other half of the collaboration, who will be launching a company to commercialize this bike on Kickstarter in 3 weeks:
http://faradaybikes.com/. He has apparently done his homework with battery selection, so probably has paid the same attention to the motor and other components.

The retail price of the bike is to be $3800, with a discount for early buyers. The frames will continue to be made in the U.S.A. at a "production builder", not Rock Lobster.

Now, is it me, or is $3800 an awful lot for a commuter bike? Used Vespas go for less. It seems like a company like Public Bikes would be better positioned to bring electric-assisted bikes to the masses.

http://oregonmanifest.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/IDEO_OM_Overall2-e1317870422746.jpeg

hokoman
06-25-2012, 02:16 AM
Stupid question... Where is the battery? The rear hub with a thumb throttle like a quad? Yeah, that is a lot of coin... But with that, you can ride around and not have your m1.

ORMojo
06-25-2012, 02:26 AM
The battery(ies?) is in the frame tubing. 15 mile range at full assist. Full recharge in under an hour. The "box" behind the seat tube is the computer, charging point, and rear light.

No throttle on this at all.

I really, really liked this at Manifest. They wouldn't sell it to me. I'll have to think about the production model - unfortunately their web site says to sign up for their newsletter for future information, but I can't find any way to sign up.

Edit: Since contacting them last night, they have added the ability to sign up.

Earl Gray
06-25-2012, 06:50 AM
....Now, is it me, or is $3800 an awful lot for a commuter bike?

http://oregonmanifest.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/IDEO_OM_Overall2-e1317870422746.jpeg

If the above complete bike can be had $3800 how is that not a much, much, much, much better deal than paying $3800 or more just for a frame from on of the "bespoke" crowd.

Seems like a freaken bargain.

If it truly is used as a daily commuter, it is also considerably more valuable to it's user and saving/making them money. Our toys that we play in the streets on are not saving us a nickel.

Fixed
06-25-2012, 06:55 AM
Cool bike I wish everyone had one
Cheers
Insted of cars for some errands

charliedid
06-25-2012, 07:20 AM
It's not alot if you consider it as a commercial vehicle. I don't see too many people buying this to simply commute, but to use it as a work truck/bike.

That said, it seems like a bargin compared to high zoot carbon, Ti, Steel etc.

Roadies are not the only market for "high end"

texbike
06-25-2012, 07:25 AM
Now, is it me, or is $3800 an awful lot for a commuter bike?

It appears to have an ISP. That has to be worth something..... :)

Texbike.

rwsaunders
06-25-2012, 07:53 AM
You can buy an overseas made commuting/utility bike with a lot of similar goodies for $900-$1,200 sans the battery. At $3,800, albeit with the battery, that's a tough sale IMHO. The comment regarding the used Vespa is very valid.

Fishbike
06-25-2012, 09:39 AM
I was very interested in the large number of utility bikes at NAHBS this year and wondered what the market is for such beautiful, high-zoot, expensive practical bikes. Is there really a significant market for such bikes? Yes, the price is comparable to bespoke and carbon wonders, but are there really people who feel the same way about bikes designed to haul stuff (not rando rigs) as most of us do about road bikes? Does anyone know anyone who actually has a custom mule?

staggerwing
06-25-2012, 09:53 AM
It's not alot if you consider it as a commercial vehicle. I don't see too many people buying this to simply commute, but to use it as a work truck/bike.

That said, it seems like a bargin compared to high zoot carbon, Ti, Steel etc.

Roadies are not the only market for "high end"

To be really useful in the commercial realm, there absolutely has to be a quick, painless way to load already charged batteries. Look at all the contractor types using rechargeable tools; one battery on the charger, ready to load at a moments notice when the first runs aground. And, charge cycle needs to be as quick as a typical use cycle, or a third battery will need to be tossed in the mix.

djg
06-25-2012, 11:34 AM
. . .
Now, is it me, or is $3800 an awful lot for a commuter bike? Used Vespas go for less. It seems like a company like Public Bikes would be better positioned to bring electric-assisted bikes to the masses.

I guess it depends what you're looking for in a commuter bike. Good basic transportation, traditional pedal power? Obviously you can do it for a lot less if you want. A touring bike or "all-rounder" suitable for a rack and panniers and a heavier load? Again, you can do it for less than 3,800 bucks -- maybe way less; and maybe pretty cheap if you dip into used. OTOH, you can do it for more, right?

Add power-assisted? Not what I want, but it is what some folks want or need, and that adds cost, and more cost to do well.

Add the kind of rack we see pictured, and frame design and bits selection to match, for larger and heavier loads, and maybe it's not just a "commuter" anymore.

At some level of functionality and craft, for some folks, 3,800 bucks is probably a good deal or even a bargain. OTOH, I see your point in this regard: if one is not already committed to this particular niche for a bike, and/or not already committed to spending a bunch of money to get something that's really well-designed and built to do certain tricks (for a certain functionality), then that might be a daunting or prohibitive buy-in -- not a likely price-tag for many looking for a basic ability to get around or haul a bit of stuff.

pdmtong
06-25-2012, 03:35 PM
with a 15 mile range, no wonder you saw this bike at the bakery. that is the logical place to go and show it off.

comparison to a used vespa is not completely vaild. lets say you live in SF and would like some electric assist to tackle the hills after work. this could be the ticket, since you can't bring a vespa inside your building and park it in your office or cubicle.

most e-bikes have huge batterypaks mounted where rear panniers would go. Last summer I almost bought an e-bike made by Giant. Northstar was clsoing them out for some ridiculous amount...like <$700. My wife "commutes" 3 flat miles and that would be perfect. However, she prefers to just pedal herself (so this makes two bikes *I* thought would be cool that she nixed...first was a trek belt commuter. Of course the lesson here is ask your wife first. and, fwiw, she is a very strong rider but just doesnt care to spend any more than what is needed)

the specialized e-bike that is availabe in europe would be the ticket. it looks great, and can go 45mph. thats the problem though, since I was told it doesnt meet USA safety stds

$3800 for a commuter? this has been done an surpassed. look at the IF, FF, moots bikes in the galleries.

$3800 for a mule? hmmm not sure about that. BUT, we see those vanilla light touring machines which could certainly carry groceries too...$5k_+

$3800 is not a mass market price...

mvrider
06-25-2012, 04:00 PM
The thing I've learned about commuter bikes is that if you don't have a place to bring it inside, then eventually it will either (1) get stolen, or (2) get stripped. So, a heavy Vespa would actually be an asset when parking on the street.

I didn't really get into Adam's business plan too much. I asked him what his target cities were, and he said "Bay Area". I was surprised that Portland would not be at the top of his list, even more so after seeing that his business card lists a 503 area code.

So, I guess if he sees a market for boutique e-assist commuting bikes, more power to him!

On a related note, a co-worker at a former company, a fit young guy but not a cyclist, bought a heavy asian-made e-bike to commute about 12 miles. One day, he forgot to charge it at work. The ride home was long, slow, and sweaty.

pdmtong
06-25-2012, 05:04 PM
yup, you'd have to be an idiot to leave a $3800 locked ot a parking meter in SF. hence why you'd bring it inside. My wife's uncle uses a vsepa to get around the city, more storage and more power.

if me I couldnt see buying one of these - i'd buy the vespa. in fact, anyone reading this, what would the advantage of the bike be besides being able to be brought indoors at work and home take up less storage space?

if bringing inside is the primary edge, then that focuses the market ot apt dwellers and urban office workers.

JohnHemlock
06-25-2012, 06:56 PM
Seems like simply taking the idea of a Dutch city bike (cheap, utilitarian transport) and Americanizing it (10x more expensive, lighter to avoid rampant theft, and with a motor to avoid working on those pesky hills) with a sprinkle of our fondness for "sell me a lifestyle" consumerism.

I approve.