PDA

View Full Version : OT: Heading West, Need Route Advice...

buldogge
06-24-2012, 07:12 PM
Firstoff...Hope all our CO friends are safe and sound! We are heading to The North Rim and Zion via SW Colorado over the next few days and I'm hoping for some advice.

Given the conditions around Colorado Springs, what alternate route would locals suggest (I'm assuming RT 24 is closed or problematic). Originally we were gonna head up Pikes Peak Auto Road (now closed) and head west towards San Isabel NF, Gunnison/Montrose to end the day.

Given the conditions should we just head on directly to Durango/Silverton/Mesa Verde???

TIA for the help...
-Mark in St. Louis

victoryfactory
06-24-2012, 08:49 PM
Mark

If you're coming from St Louis, and you want to avoid the
whole area you can take I-44 to I-40
When you get to rt 89 at Flagstaff go north to alt 89
(If you have an extra day when you get to Flag, detour
south to Sedona)
otherwise just head north to alt 89
go by marble canyon and Vermillion cliffs nat monument.
just before you start uphill to the turnoff to the north rim
at Jacob Lake ( great pit stop good food)
go right at a dirt road at House Rock go about a mile to a turnout.
to see condors! bring the binocs. They fly above the cliffs.

after you are done at the north rim continue north on 89A
to Kanab Utah where you get back on 89 north right up
to the turnoff for Zion at Mt Carmel Junction (Rt 9)
I did this route in October.
Have a great trip!

VF

victoryfactory
06-24-2012, 09:07 PM
If you can determine that rt 24 is open east of Colorado Springs
(it seems to be right now)
You can take I-70 out of St Louis to CO 24 and get on I-25 South at Colorado
Springs (That's a tricky interchange, btw)
Go south on 25 to Rt 160 west. You can stop at Great sand Dunes NP (Very cool)
Then you continue on 160 west to Mesa Verde just before you hit Cortez.
Then you can continue on 160 all the way to rt 89 North and go on to the north rim.

If you are concerned about Colorado springs, you can give it a wider berth
by going south off I-70 sooner and picking up rt 50 west which hits I-25 more south of Col. Springs. Consult the map for crossroads.

VF

Louis
06-24-2012, 09:28 PM
You can stop at Great sand Dunes NP (Very cool)

+1 a neat side trip and well worth a half to a full day, if you're taking the southern route to or from Durango.

buldogge
06-24-2012, 10:17 PM
Thanx for the input guys...The only downside of the southern route might be the mountain views (or lack thereof...???). My son (6yo) has never been to The Rockies before, so I would like to drive "thru the mountains".

I've never taken 160, how will the scenery compare to say Monarch Pass or similar on 50???

Also, the dunes look cool...but...we're gonna be seeing a lot of dry/desert on the way to The North Rim and in Utah, after Zion.

Thanx again,
-Mark

Louis
06-24-2012, 10:41 PM
I've never taken 160, how will the scenery compare to say Monarch Pass or similar on 50???

It's been a long time since I was out there, but I think they're somewhat similar, in that the eastern end is pretty flat and straight, but both pick up at the western end. Of course neither is as spectacular as say, 550 north of Durango.

If you're in the Gunnison / Montrose area, then the Black Canyon is worth a look. You son would probably enjoy the Durango-Silverton train ride.

buldogge
06-24-2012, 10:47 PM
Yeah...The plan was to come down the 550 to Durango and then over to Mesa Verde. Time permitting (and child whims aligned) I figured we might do the train...

I'm thinking I-25 or RT115 down to RT 50 and over towards Gunnison/Montrose.

TA
-Mark

It's been a long time since I was out there, but I think they're somewhat similar, in that the eastern end is pretty flat and straight, but both pick up at the western end. Of course neither is as spectacular as say, 550 north of Durango.

If you're in the Gunnison / Montrose area, then the Black Canyon is worth a look. You son would probably enjoy the Durango-Silverton train ride.

dustyrider
06-24-2012, 10:47 PM
Sounds like an adventure. Where are you staying along the way, camping, hotels? Zion is one of my favorite places, and I've spent a lot of time at the Canyon. Are you bringing a bike?

This site should be looked at, if you haven't already found it:

CDOT (http://www.cotrip.org/home.htm;jsessionid=147974CDEF07FDA884F2898238DDC5 3C.node1)

Monarch pass is a nice taste of high country, one of my all time favorite MTB rides starts at the top and ends in Buena Vista.
Salida and Gunnison have got the Colorado vibe, though I like Crested Butte and Kebler pass much more, it's kinda in the wrong direction though.

I'd say you can give the Springs a wide birth and stick close to your original route. Personally I think Telluride isn't to be missed, though Red Mountain pass is such a great drive.... some good decisions you're faced with!

Skipping Kansas and taking the southern route as VF suggests also has its benefits. Either way in this part of the country it's all about elevation, and there's something unique and grand about all of it. Have fun!

buldogge
06-24-2012, 11:01 PM
No bike, unfortunately.

Lodge at the North Rim (well cabin, actually)...chain hotel at Springdale/Zion...camping here an there (winging it)...downtown hotel in Denver on the 4th.

Gotta be at The North Rim on the 28th, before that I'm flexible, based on time.

-Mark

Sounds like an adventure. Where are you staying along the way, camping, hotels? Zion is one of my favorite places, and I've spent a lot of time at the Canyon. Are you bringing a bike?

This site should be looked at, if you haven't already found it:

CDOT (http://www.cotrip.org/home.htm;jsessionid=147974CDEF07FDA884F2898238DDC5 3C.node1)

Monarch pass is a nice taste of high country, one of my all time favorite MTB rides starts at the top and ends in Buena Vista.
Salida and Gunnison have got the Colorado vibe, though I like Crested Butte and Kebler pass much more, it's kinda in the wrong direction though.

I'd say you can give the Springs a wide birth and stick close to your original route. Personally I think Telluride isn't to be missed, though Red Mountain pass is such a great drive.... some good decisions you're faced with!

Skipping Kansas and taking the southern route as VF suggests also has its benefits. Either way in this part of the country it's all about elevation, and there's something unique and grand about all of it. Have fun!

Louis
06-24-2012, 11:09 PM
Other than the mountains, one of my favorite things about CO at this time of year (compared to St Louis) is how the temperature drops after sunset. It can be hot as blazes during the day (low humidity, of course) but after sunset you still get nice and cool / chilly nights. St Louis on the other hand, still miserable even at 1 AM...

oliver1850
06-24-2012, 11:54 PM
Yeah...The plan was to come down the 550 to Durango and then over to Mesa Verde. Time permitting (and child whims aligned) I figured we might do the train...

I'm thinking I-25 or RT115 down to RT 50 and over towards Gunnison/Montrose.

TA
-Mark

This is the route I took with my grandpa that I mentioned in the email. One of the most memorable stretches of the 5,500 mile trip. Maybe dusty can comment on the relative merits of going south on the western side of the ridge vs. the 550. I've never been down that side, so I don't know if Telluride itself (which isn't exactly on the route) is the main attraction, or the route as a whole. I suspect you can't really go wrong either way.

dustyrider
06-25-2012, 12:46 AM
This is the route I took with my grandpa that I mentioned in the email. One of the most memorable stretches of the 5,500 mile trip. Maybe dusty can comment on the relative merits of going south on the western side of the ridge vs. the 550. I've never been down that side, so I don't know if Telluride itself (which isn't exactly on the route) is the main attraction, or the route as a whole. I suspect you can't really go wrong either way.

550 is hands down better in every way for the mountain experience.
145 is more western slope type scenery.
I'm just really partial to T-ride, in the end it is the highlight for sure.
And you got to remember that Colorado is big, and you've really got to pick and choose. If you're looking to make a memory that lasts a life time, 550 is the one I choose for those that visit me, followed with Durango.

As far as the train ride goes I believe there is a shuttle from Silverton back to Durange that makes the trip time much shorter, and more little-one friendly. I can't remember if we used the train's shuttle service or if there was another company, I think another company as they really want to keep you in Silverton it seems. Shouldn't be hard to track down schedule info once you're there, it's been a few years since I've done that.
You should try and get seats on the east side of the train, if they're available.

oldpotatoe
06-25-2012, 07:51 AM
No bike, unfortunately.

Lodge at the North Rim (well cabin, actually)...chain hotel at Springdale/Zion...camping here an there (winging it)...downtown hotel in Denver on the 4th.

Gotta be at The North Rim on the 28th, before that I'm flexible, based on time.

-Mark

Go to the rodeo at Ruby's Inn close to the entrance to Zion..great fun(if it still happens).

zmudshark
06-25-2012, 08:06 AM
Mark, if you haven't found this site already, it is a nice resource for things to see on your trip.
http://www.americansouthwest.net/

Ken Robb
06-25-2012, 09:16 AM
I have just been watching the news of the 8 fires out of control in CO. I wonder if they will cause traffic problems on the remaining routes that are unaffected.

mo3039
06-25-2012, 10:05 AM
Living in Denver and have a house and many friends in Colorado Springs, I can tell you that the temperatures are miserable (the Springs hit 100 for only the 5th and 6th time this Saturday and Sunday) but the roads are not bad traffic-wise through the front range. Yes, 24 is closed west of Manitou through Woodland Park, so that's out at least through tonight. The views change regularly with the smoke but in general you can still get great if hazy views, and, well, the sunsets are spectacular these days for all the wrong reasons. If you decide on 24 to the Springs and I-25 south from there you should be fine.

The best up to date info I've seen for all the fires in the west (including two in the Durango area, sigh) is inciweb.org. They have great Google maps functionality so you can zoom out and see the big picture. You can also sort by state, etc. Also cotrip.org is the state road conditions site and is kept up to date for accidents, construction, etc. with a good mobile site. Safe travels!!

dustyrider
06-25-2012, 11:28 AM
The best up to date info I've seen for all the fires in the west (including two in the Durango area, sigh) is inciweb.org. They have great Google maps functionality so you can zoom out and see the big picture. You can also sort by state, etc. Safe travels!!

That's a great site! Thanks for sharing, slightly unsettling when you zoom the map out, however. :eek:

sjbraun
06-25-2012, 07:17 PM
Old Potatoe wrote:

Go to the rodeo at Ruby's Inn close to the entrance to Zion..great fun(if it still happens).

Do you mean Bryce or are there two Ruby's Inns?

Was at Bryce last week, where there is a rodeo outside the park near Ruby'a.

Another option for your return would be to take 89 north from Zion, then Hwy 12, (an amazing drive and maybe stop at Bryce,) to Hwy 24 to I 70 then through Glenwood Canyon, Vail, to Denver.

buldogge
06-25-2012, 11:55 PM
Thanx for the further info/tips guys.

We only made it to Goodland, KS today (the family can't seem to get ready in a timely manner, so we didn't leave until 11am CST)...and...looks like we're gonna have to get front wheel balance and/or alignment checked on the wagon tomorrow morning...hopefully something minor...otherwise its off to a VW dealer in Colorado Springs.

BTW, I will indeed be leaving Zion and heading thru Escalante over to Moab and then on to Denver...not sure if we will stop in Bryce.

TA
-Mark in Goodland

Old Potatoe wrote:

Do you mean Bryce or are there two Ruby's Inns?

Was at Bryce last week, where there is a rodeo outside the park near Ruby'a.

Another option for your return would be to take 89 north from Zion, then Hwy 12, (an amazing drive and maybe stop at Bryce,) to Hwy 24 to I 70 then through Glenwood Canyon, Vail, to Denver.

Louis
06-26-2012, 01:45 AM
We only made it to Goodland, KS today (the family can't seem to get ready in a timely manner, so we didn't leave until 11am CST)...and...looks like we're gonna have to get front wheel balance and/or alignment checked on the wagon tomorrow morning...hopefully something minor...

As long as you don't have a fixed schedule it'll all work out.

When I'd doing a long road trip I usually just get a rental car. Not that they never break down, but at least I don't have to worry about it if it does happen.

Good luck with the car and the adventures.