PDA

View Full Version : Campy Chain & SRAM Quick Link

snah
06-23-2012, 07:17 PM
Having a chain issue, a ride tomorrow morning and no Campy quick links. Anyone know if a SRAM will work on a Campy chain/drivetrain?

AngryScientist
06-23-2012, 07:34 PM
Having a chain issue, a ride tomorrow morning and no Campy quick links. Anyone know if a SRAM will work on a Campy chain/drivetrain?

If you're talking 10-sp, any quick link made for 10sp chain will work, including sram. If you're talking 11sp, than no, the sram link wont work well.

snah
06-23-2012, 07:44 PM
^ excellent! Am running 10sp . Thanks for the reply.

Mr Cabletwitch
06-24-2012, 07:56 AM
I'm pretty sure this won't work as I've tried to do this before. The Campy 10 speed chain is just a bit wider than shimano/sram. You can however run a shimano/sram 10 speed chain on your campy drivetrain without issue.

oldpotatoe
06-24-2012, 08:01 AM
I'm pretty sure this won't work as I've tried to do this before. The Campy 10 speed chain is just a bit wider than shimano/sram. You can however run a shimano/sram 10 speed chain on your campy drivetrain without issue.

Nope, since about 5-6 years ago, they are all 5.9mm. Used to be 6.2(and Wipperman had a model) but they went to 5.9 about 2005-6 or so.

I rec. Wipperman/Connes link, BTW-and as before, DO NOT just push a new pin into a used 10s chain link/plate after pushing a pin out-That is a broken chain recipe.

martinrjensen
06-24-2012, 08:08 AM
Yes, there are 2 different Campy 10 spd chains. The older style and then the ultra narrow 5.9mm wide chain and they use different quick links. If you have an older wider 10 spd Campy chain I (think) you will be OK, but not with the ultra narrow chain. Not sure how you can tell the difference without a caliper, but you can measure the difference in width, I know that.
If you have calipers mesaure the OD of the plates on your chain, then snap the quick link together and measure the OD and it should be the same if it's going to work. I mean any quick link will get you home in a pinch, but if it's wrong it will hang and most likely feel like it's trying to jump a gear.I'm pretty sure this won't work as I've tried to do this before. The Campy 10 speed chain is just a bit wider than shimano/sram. You can however run a shimano/sram 10 speed chain on your campy drivetrain without issue.

AngryScientist
06-24-2012, 08:16 AM
news to me, i thought all 10-sp chain was the same width. i'm definitely running a campy 10-sp chain with a quick link right now, though i cant remember what brand it is. sorry for the misinformation...

Mr Cabletwitch
06-24-2012, 08:23 AM
Nope, since about 5-6 years ago, they are all 5.9mm. Used to be 6.2(and Wipperman had a model) but they went to 5.9 about 2005-6 or so.

I rec. Wipperman/Connes link, BTW-and as before, DO NOT just push a new pin into a used 10s chain link/plate after pushing a pin out-That is a broken chain recipe.

This makes sense as the campy chain I tried to use a SRAM link on with no success was from around 2002. I had to use a Connex link on that chain. I've since switched to Dura Ace chains and use the KMC re usable link without issue on my campy drivetrain.

monkeybanana86
06-24-2012, 11:44 AM
i too like the wippermann connex link but was bummed to find out that the pin didn't fit in my sram chain! Hopefully you won't run into that problem.

martinrjensen
06-24-2012, 11:55 AM
One of my 10spd bikes has the old chain and I fell for it when I bought a quicklink and it didn't fit, that's the only reason I know about the different width. news to me, i thought all 10-sp chain was the same width. i'm definitely running a campy 10-sp chain with a quick link right now, though i cant remember what brand it is. sorry for the misinformation...

Mike748
06-24-2012, 12:08 PM
The one wide (6.1) Campy chain I have is marked C10. The narrow ones (5.9) are marked CR CC and CVe.

Dave
06-24-2012, 01:01 PM
To further confuse folks, even though all current 10 speed chains have the same 5.9mm width across the outer plates, the width across the inner plates is not the same. That means that the fit of different brands of master links is not the same on all chains.

The last time I measured, Campy and SRAM chains were .1mm narrower than Shimano, KMC or Wipperman.

KMC chains and links tend to have a loose fit to start with. Put a KMC master link on a SRAM or Campy 10 chain and you may see as much as .3mm of side clearance. Something in the .1-.2mm range is better.