PDA

View Full Version : Hyperon One Clinchers vs Enve 3.4 Clinchers

heavyduty
06-23-2012, 04:18 AM
Hi everyone,

Shouting myself a new bike after 10 years with my faithful old steed (Look KG361) , and I am interested in any feedback on the above mentioned wheels. I have only ever ridden the Ultegra wheels I purchased with my bike 10 years ago, so experience with anything else is zero.

As a brief background, I weigh in at about 81 kg's and most of my riding is in the spectacular hills of perth where I live. I don't do a heap of km's due to work, family etc.

I am also researching other components also, but will leave that for another day.

I have seen the Hyperon's on sale at Ribble for about $2k plus post plus duty etc, verses the Enve's at about $3.5k in Australia. Unfortunately it appears that I can only purchase these (Enve) in Oz due to o/seas retailers conditions of sale.

Would appreciate any useful feedback on price vs ride vs stiffness vs climbing?

Also really interested in braking performance of both in the wet, as the Hyperon's don't appear to have made any changes to the braking surface over the years. The Enve's seem to get a good wrap for wet weather braking. Hope this doesn't turn into a "why are you buying carbon clinchers" discussion as I have noticed in past posts (yes i have tried using the search function).

Thanks
Dave

heavyduty
06-23-2012, 09:18 AM
Hi all,

Just wondering if I've had no replies because I'm new to the forum, or just because I'm from Australia. Ha ha.

Even some brief feedback on whether the Enves are worth the extra bucks over the Hyperons would be good.

Thanks
Dave

akelman
06-23-2012, 09:32 AM
Welcome to the forum. I think you got no replies because your post went up in the dead of night in the US, where the majority of forum members live. It's also the weekend, when things are quieter on the board. That said, Hyperons are absolutely great wheels. I have nothing but good things to say about them, and I think that's likely going to be true of nearly every other person who's ever used them. Regrettably, I have no experience with the new Enves, but the company enjoys a terrific reputation for their products and customers service.

Having said all of that, be prepared for at least a few people to wonder why, if you don't spend a ton of time on the bike, you're going to drop so much money on wheels that might not be ideally suited to your style of riding. Carbon clinchers, after all, are somewhat notorious for overheating in very hilly conditions. This apparently isn't as much of a problem as it used to be, but it's still not no problem at all. A VERY nice set of hand-built wheels, someone is sure to say, may be be a better bet. As for me, I think you should buy whatever you want. Life is short.

heavyduty
06-23-2012, 09:47 AM
Thanks Akelman, sorry I forgot about the time difference. Appreciate the feedback. In relation to dropping so much on a set of wheels, well, its been 10 years since my last new bike and want to treat myself a little as it might be another 10 years before the next one.

Also I'm building up a nice Ti frame so want to match it with some functional AND nice looking bits. I guess I just WANT a nice pair of wheels, not need them. Also, if I can save a grand or so on the wheels, I might be able to stretch the budget to go for the new EPS.

Probably my main concern is the wet weather braking performance of the Hyperons. Haven't heard any bad reviews, but people are writing about the progress of the Enve braking surface, making me curious about how they both compare inthe wet.

Thanks
Dave.

BCS
06-23-2012, 09:51 AM
I will avoid the tubular vs clincher or handbuilt recs.

Buy the Enves. Stimulate the American economy. Neither of your choices are super light. The enves are more "aero". All reports/anecdotes suggest excellent braking (for carbon) with the Enves

heavyduty
06-23-2012, 10:04 AM
Given the "price fixing" arrangement that Enve have entered into by not allowing equal purchasing arrangements throughout different parts of the world (Australia) I don't particularly think that Enve are suffering too much in the American Economy.

I do however, appreciate and take on board your feedback on the braking of the Enve's, thanks BCS.

Does anyone have any feedback on the Hyperons in the wet?

Cheers
Dave.

wooly
06-23-2012, 10:29 AM
I had hyperons and loved them. I recall the braking to be pretty average with other carbon wheels in the wet, the few times I rode them in the wet. I don't make a habit of riding carbon wheels in the rain though.

As to your question regarding which wheelset, I think happycampyer, a forum member who has ridden numerous high end wheels, said that Hyperons are his favorite wheelset. And he owns both sets in question.

Based on price, I would get the hyperons.

Good luck and have fun with your upcoming purchases.

soulspinner
06-23-2012, 11:36 AM
Google the reviews. The new Enve 34s are supposed to be the poo.

martinrjensen
06-23-2012, 01:22 PM
˙ɯnɹoɟ ǝɥʇ uo noʎ ǝǝs oʇ pɐןb 'ıɥ

happycampyer
06-23-2012, 01:38 PM
My experience with carbon wheels is almost exclusively with tubulars. I have demo'ed carbon clinchers, but never owned any, so my perspective may not be directly on point. Also, my only experience with the Hyperons is with the Two's, and not the One's. I think the main difference is in the bearings, as well as the hub material.

That said, as wooly mentioned, the Hyperons are probably my favorite wheels overall. They are the only carbon wheels that I have two sets of (which is handy when I want to compare tires). At a little over 1200 grams for the tubular version, they aren't particularly light as low-profile carbon wheels go and, given that the profile is similar to a box-section rim they aren't aero. But they have an amazing ride quality—very smooth, solid and quiet. I find the braking to be excellent when dry (no pulsing, good modulation, good stopping power), and about average when wet. And the rims are pretty bombproof, like a low-profile version of the Mavic Cosmic Carbone Pro (Hyperons have been ridden at Paris-Roubaix for years). The latest Campagnolo carbon-specific brake pads work really well, better than the previous version, although they are still sensitive to toe-in in order not to squeal.

I actually don't own the 3.4's, but I did demo them pretty extensively. They are great wheels, and definitely can be used as everyday wheels (although I didn't ride them in the rain, so I can't comment on the braking performance in the wet). They are more aero than the Hyperons, but the profile is not so tall and the rim shape is so well designed that you don't get blown around on windy days. The braking quality, especially with the new brake pads, is an improvement over Enve's standard wheels, but I wouldn't say that it's better than the Hyperons (again, only comparing dry-weather performance).

Honestly, either wheel would probably be fine for your intended use. If you raced, the 3.4's would probably be a better choice because they are more aero, but the $1,500 extra isn't an insignificant sum for the aero benefit. I also struggle with the idea of lower profile carbon clinchers, since they weigh about the same aluminum clinchers. If I were considering carbon clinchers, I would probably go for the 6.7's or Zipp's 404 Firecrests, but that's just me. I know that you don't want to hear this, but I would get a set of the Neutron Ultras before I got the Hyperon clinchers (and in fact I have the Neutron Ultras, and they are great wheels).

happycampyer
06-23-2012, 01:39 PM
˙ɯnɹoɟ ǝɥʇ uo noʎ ǝǝs oʇ pɐןb 'ıɥThat's very cool.

Uncle Jam's Army
06-23-2012, 03:54 PM
˙ɯnɹoɟ ǝɥʇ uo noʎ ǝǝs oʇ pɐןb 'ıɥ

That gave me a headache. Though, I imagine the message appears right side up for the OP.

reggiebaseball
06-23-2012, 04:37 PM
Dear Dave,

You are making a very serious mistake by even thinking about carbon clinchers as a potential wheelset.

Your experience is with aluminum rims, whenever someone here says "brakes well" it should be tempered with "for a carbon rim".

If you really ride serious hills, and maybe once in your life got caught in the rain while out riding, you are likely to kill yourself on the $3000 carbon wheels you are proposing.

You want some lovely HAND BUILT aluminum rims with some exotic hubs and spokes, built by someone relatively local and highly skilled.

Because I am from the other side of the planet, I am going to make the mistake of thinking NZ is near you and suggest this guy:
http://wheelworks.co.nz/

He has a log of some really nice and varied builds.

At your (light in my opinion) weight, there are a ton of options. Since you are now onto an aluminum rim you can buy clinchers if you really must, but it is a mistake you should be buying a tubular wheelset.

OK so here are some wheelsets I bet you could get built up for $1k US Dollars, you can convert to your funny money on your own,

Ambrosio Nemesis laced to Chris King hubs (tubular only), then Veloflex tires.
HEd Belgium on Chris King, White Industires or Alchemy hubs (clincher or tubular)

Velocity Rims A23 clincher, uncle tom tubular, escape tubular laced to any of the above hubs

Great tires and proper tire pressure matter as much as the wheels!
HAving light carbon wheels dont make you faster if you are afraid to brake into every bend down the mountain, and then riding your brakes on carbon clinchers makes your brake track delaminate or your inner tube go pop.

Get some safe, awesome aluminum wheels that you are not afraid to be on if it might rain for 10 seconds halfway into the day-- ride the out of them for three years, get your fitness up, and when you are ready to join the pro peleton get some Enves or Hyperons from the team providers.

Now if you must spend a few thou extra, take a wonderful cycling trip with the wife to Europe!

BCS
06-23-2012, 04:51 PM
... uncle tom tubular

I have a set of these, built by Harriet Beecher Stowe :cool:

The uncle got promoted to Major Toms

Pete Mckeon
06-23-2012, 07:23 PM
Very poor in the wet for most of these. If shimano, the carbon clinchers work well for non braking. MAVICwheels I go to most over the years. (Many will disagree). Handbuild wheels by a good builder are also nice. Carbon braking surfaces are a no no based on your requirements, Pete )ole pete)

Hi everyone,

Shouting myself a new bike after 10 years with my faithful old steed (Look KG361) , and I am interested in any feedback on the above mentioned wheels. I have only ever ridden the Ultegra wheels I purchased with my bike 10 years ago, so experience with anything else is zero.

As a brief background, I weigh in at about 81 kg's and most of my riding is in the spectacular hills of perth where I live. I don't do a heap of km's due to work, family etc.

I am also researching other components also, but will leave that for another day.

I have seen the Hyperon's on sale at Ribble for about $2k plus post plus duty etc, verses the Enve's at about $3.5k in Australia. Unfortunately it appears that I can only purchase these (Enve) in Oz due to o/seas retailers conditions of sale.

Would appreciate any useful feedback on price vs ride vs stiffness vs climbing?

Also really interested in braking performance of both in the wet, as the Hyperon's don't appear to have made any changes to the braking surface over the years. The Enve's seem to get a good wrap for wet weather braking. Hope this doesn't turn into a "why are you buying carbon clinchers" discussion as I have noticed in past posts (yes i have tried using the search function).

Thanks
Dave

martinrjensen
06-23-2012, 07:58 PM
I was just thinking of our new members you know....That gave me a headache. Though, I imagine the message appears right side up for the OP.

heavyduty
06-23-2012, 09:09 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. You a right in the fact that I don't want to hear what you a saying about carbon clinchers. I am taking it all on board. Head still hurts from trying to read martins welcoming post. (ha ha)

Couple of questions to further clarify;

- would I be better having a spare alloy wheel set for wet days?

- most of the hills I ride are mainly straight down with curved roads rather than the spectacular hairpin type descents you see in Europe, so don't usually brake much until the base of the hill. (unless emergency stop required). Would this still affect the braking in the DRY?

- how bad is the braking on carbon rims really? (dry and wet conditions)

Sorry to ask so many questions

Thanks again everyone

Dave.

jbrainin
06-23-2012, 09:39 PM
I rode Hyperon Ultra clinchers on my Meivici for three years and replaced them last year with a pair of custom built aluminum rimmed wheels (Kinlin XR-270/Alchemy hubs, Sapim CX-Ray spokes) which not only brake vastly better than the Hyperons in all weather conditions but also are about 60 grams lighter.

Just sayin'.

mjb266
06-23-2012, 11:24 PM
Couple of questions to further clarify;

- would I be better having a spare alloy wheel set for wet days?

- most of the hills I ride are mainly straight down with curved roads rather than the spectacular hairpin type descents you see in Europe, so don't usually brake much until the base of the hill. (unless emergency stop required). Would this still affect the braking in the DRY?

- how bad is the braking on carbon rims really? (dry and wet conditions)

Yes. Buy a set of nemesis tubulars with pave tires so you don't flat when you pick up all the crap washed onto the road in the rain. You'll have better braking, better traction in turns, longer lived wheels, and fewer flats.

Carbon rims are fine when dry. The 3.4's may be great in the wet but you're still going to have all the issues from my answer to question 1. Why wet sand a carbon sidewall when you could do the same to aluminum?

Dry=fine/adequate...wet=scarry

I live in an area that has rain 8 months a year and have the nice weather Enve 1.45's and the crap weather nemesis wheelset. It's a great combination.